Install apps on SD card?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Not directly, some apps can be moved there though... go to Settings->Apps and swipe over one to the ON SD CARD tab, any app you tick will be moved to the SD card, not that any app with widgets cannot reside on the SD (used or not) in the stock ROM, if you move something like GSAM or Accuweather, the widgets will fail.

In a few weeks Marshmallow should be out, it will allow to use your SD card like internal storage, but the disadvantage is it has to be formatted by the phone to the correct format, and Windows will not be able to read it anymore unless it is in the phone, Linux perhaps (I don't know if you are forced to use an encrypted file system or not).

fdalbor

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Even if you move a app to the SD card it only moves a part of the app to the SD card. None of the apps that came installed on the phone can be moved to the SD card. After kitkat Google really mesed up the use of the SD card for storage. They say Marshmallow will be better but I would not bet on it until I see it. Microsoft allows you to install almost every app to the SD card on its Windows phones (I use both). Google should do the same with Android.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Even if you move a app to the SD card it only moves a part of the app to the SD card. None of the apps that came installed on the phone can be moved to the SD card. After kitkat Google really mesed up the use of the SD card for storage. They say Marshmallow will be better but I would not bet on it until I see it. Microsoft allows you to install almost every app to the SD card on its Windows phones (I use both). Google should do the same with Android.
We already know how Marshmallow treats SD cards... Either the same as Lollipop, or as internal memory.

http://m.androidcentral.com/inside-marshmallow-adoptable-storage

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/eyes-free/rspqjlmu_ss/ouM7TMH-BQAJ

deecoop0351

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I came from Windows too I really hope I can use my sd card the way its should it be used. I got the moto G because it had a sd card slot its a really let down that I can't free up space on my internal storage.

Posted via the Android Central App

ecksmc

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Apps which are installed when you get device, most can't be moved but most actually let all data downloaded store on sd card like google music, books and newsstand in these apps in settings you can pick where data is stored even though you can't move app to card as do a lot of other apps which you can't move spotify is one as well, this saves all downloaded stuff on sd card it's worth checking all app settings for this I've found a lot will allow you to save on sd card even though you can't move app to sd card.

Android Fan check my G+ appygeek collection +ericmccrory

Robtdvis

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I updated to 6 on my Moto G3, which is a 2nd phone for me. Adopted storage seems like a good idea for me as I purchased the 8gb version

Posted via the Android Central App