PC can't access Moto G files

francissam

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
So annoying. I have my new moto 4g and a fresh sd card..I connect to PC (win 10) and it shows up on windows media player...I sync music across to the phone and all seems good...I then download app from playstore on phone and albums etc show up...but when I try to play any the app says' Sorry, failed to play the song etc'....Why??? Yes, I have transferred music across using USB set to media device...

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How does one "show system settings"? It's not an option on the list of apps, nor is it an option on the "..." menu. ??? Aloha, -pt
Every rom I've ever seen, stock or 3rd party, has an app called Settings, the icon is usually a cog wheel.

1a48fac84275f2d96121abfe01fb148e.jpg

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks; finally found it, but there's no cog icon under "Settings" for me....
You should also be able to get to Settings by pulling down the notification shade twice to the quick toggle icons and pressing the cog icon on the he top-right of display.

The setting in Developer Options won't help, you have to toggle it in the notification shade on each connection, there is no icon for it in the task bar.

Last edited:

Monmaker

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I was having this issue and I finally found the cause. Going to post it here in case someone else has the same problem I did this problem involves not being able to connect to comp or even take pictures when the sd card is used as internal storage on the MotoG 3rd gen.
So, I had an SD card in my phone previously but it suddenly stopped working and I had to buy a new one. I did so and plugged it into my phone and formatted as internal storage and started reinstalling the apps I had lost. I did not tell my phone to forget the previous sd card, just in case I was somehow able to get it working again or something, and THAT is what was causing me issues. As soon as I told my phone to forget the old card, I could take pictures and I could access the internal storage on my PC. Hope this helps someone else.

Phatboyroy

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I realise this is a year after your issues, and you may have resolved them. however, if not i thought i'd offer a solution that worked for me, i've just purchased a g play 4th generation. i had the same issues, in addition i could not find anywhere, where i could select how to act when connected to usb. reading th solution about 'developer options' i visited there and saw the usb connect option, even though it was already selected, i re-selected MTP. it worked. on my next visit, same problem, so i visited developer options, scrolled down to how to act on connecting usb, and again even though MTP was selected, i again re-selected. guess what? yep it worked.

it appears for some reason, even though it's selected, i have to reselect. i haven't a clue why, and it may not solve your issue, but i hope it does, and i guess it's worth a try.

good luck.

ps if anybody can point me to a more direct way of accessing the 'what to do when connected to USB page' i'd be very grateful.

Roy.

Zoomaloid2000

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I just found this, from Verizon. It works for me and is simple:
"How do I transfer photos from my Moto G to my computer?
Connect the device to a computer via USB cable.
If necessary, touch and hold the Status bar (area at the top of the phone screen with the time, signal strength, etc.) then drag to the bottom. (This shows your notifications)
Tap the USB icon then select Media device (MTP). Selected when a check mark is present.

jo smo

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I realise this is a year after your issues, and you may have resolved them. however, if not i thought i'd offer a solution that worked for me, i've just purchased a g play 4th generation. i had the same issues, in addition i could not find anywhere, where i could select how to act when connected to usb. reading th solution about 'developer options' i visited there and saw the usb connect option, even though it was already selected, i re-selected MTP. it worked. on my next visit, same problem, so i visited developer options, scrolled down to how to act on connecting usb, and again even though MTP was selected, i again re-selected. guess what? yep it worked.

it appears for some reason, even though it's selected, i have to reselect. i haven't a clue why, and it may not solve your issue, but i hope it does, and i guess it's worth a try.

good luck.

ps if anybody can point me to a more direct way of accessing the 'what to do when connected to USB page' i'd be very grateful.

Roy.

This worked for me as well!! thank you so much for posting this. I have a moto g5 plus and it initially was recolonized by my computer when I got it. I transferred a few gig of music and it was fine. but when i went to add more music a few days later the computer would show the moto g5 as connected but it would not show me the internal storage so I could add more music.I was getting extremely frustrated because this is an otherwise excellent phone. But I tried your little trick with the phone plugged in to the computer and as soon as a tapped the already selected MTP option in the usb configuration menu it was instantly recognized by my computer. So thanks again! Hopefully this works for other as well

rdenney53

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Reading through all these posts below, something has changed. I am using the same cable, same computer (both Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines); you plug in the phone, select USB for MTP or PTP and you can see the directory structure of the phone, but photos are on camera are no longer visible. If you explore the phone directory directly (from the phone app) they are there. This just started like in the last month or so.