Why is sound only playing from the left earphone?

Decoy Dreams

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
The first set of headphones I plugged into my brand new 2015 Moto g I know only have the left earphone working so I didn't pick up on this straight away, but since getting my phone I have plugged in multiple sets of earphones which work in other devices including an identical moto g, but sound only comes out of the left earpiece when they are plugges into my moto g.
I've looked through settings and I can't find anything that could be causing it.
What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Update: Bluetooth headphones work properly, tried taking the case off and the problem remained. This indicates it is a hardware problem then, what steps should I take to deal with it if I decide to do anything about it?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There could be a few things wrong here, and one is not an easy fix. But before we try it, do you get the same problem with BT earphones? If you do, it's most likely a setting, but if you don't have the issue, it looks more like hardware failure.

1) It's a setting (or an app) causing MONO audio to be playing. Not sure if such a setting is there on the Moto G, but if it were, it would either be in the Sounds setttings or in the Accessibility section (the latter is where it is on Samsung phones). If this were the case, in theory it would do the same thing if you connect BT Earphones.

2) Hardware issues.
a) You're using incompatible headsets. If the ones you're using have a microphone and a control button, then there's a chance you're using headphones that are incompatible with the phone. Try 'normal' headphones to see if that works. (Sometimes if the headset are the problem, if you press the control button you should either hear a clicking on the side you're not hearing or it should come back altogether while the button is pressed. This is especially true if you use Nokia and iPhone headsets on other phones).
b) Maybe the R channel in the headphone port is disconnected and either the port itself or the internal wiring needs replacement. This is not an easy fix as it requires actual hardware changes.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If your using a case, make sure it's not interfering with plugging in the headset completely... My case blocks some headsets from connecting all the way and results are as you describe.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Good point! Thanks acejavelin! Yup, if the headphone plug isn't reaching all the way down, then one of the channels will not have audio.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc