04-12-2017 12:10 PM
48 12
tools
    I thought you could designate your SD card as "portable storage" and have it remain unencrypted.
    You absolutely can... Marshmallow doesn't force you to use the card as internal storage, you can chose to use it as internal or external storage. However, if you chose to use it as internal storage it *must* be encrypted and is locked to that device, and if you use it as external it cannot be encrypted and can be moved from device to device with ease.

I don't know if @Stillcopper is misinformed or you are misunderstanding his post, but it is clearly the users choice.
    03-10-2016 07:11 PM
    Well, after all my vacillating and foot dragging, I just installed Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

The installation went off without a hitch, and everything looks normal.
    03-14-2016 01:22 PM
    Correct, but you can't move or install programs to it any longer. I move progs there to save space in the base 8gig.
    And actually, since it's my phone, I feel they should just let us choose whether we want to take an update or not.
    03-18-2016 04:06 PM
    You absolutely can... Marshmallow doesn't force you to use the card as internal storage, you can chose to use it as internal or external storage. However, if you chose to use it as internal storage it *must* be encrypted and is locked to that device, and if you use it as external it cannot be encrypted and can be moved from device to device with ease.

I don't know if @Stillcopper is misinformed or you are misunderstanding his post, but it is clearly the users choice.
    Correct on the 'still be able to use it' however not in the same way as before for installing and running programs from. Only programs already on it can be run from it, no new ones.
    03-18-2016 04:08 PM
    I already have Marshmallow for a month or so and it is smooth as butter. I really recommend it!

Posted using the Moto G3 via the Android Central App
    badelhas likes this.
    03-19-2016 05:13 PM
    so we should move all possible apps to SD before updating to MM ?
    03-19-2016 07:39 PM
    Well I can tell you from my experience that I had a Samsung S6 and the minute I took marshmellow the whole world fell apart. WiFi calling was a major issue. Worked with my carrier for 2 months before they sent me a replacement phone without marshmellow on it and I can tell you for sure one thing. I will not be upgrading to marshmellow anytime soon. Samsung is VERY aware of this problem and I am surprised that they have let it go on this long. My wife has a S7 BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX and she has problems with the wifi calling too. Sadly that phone ships stock with Marshmellow or I would make them send her another one without it. Not sure what I can do there, Don't want to root the phone as it voids the warranty with the carrier and samsung for some reason. Not sure why that rule is in place all these buggers are, are small Linux computers running the app android on them..
    05-06-2016 09:28 AM
    notifications to update go away exactly in one week, then you just have to check in (settings -> about device -> system update) for it if you want to upgrade, I wouldn't, 5.1.1 is leagues better than 6.0
    it will come back for some days but no longer than 6-7 days, you can always upgrade your device from the settings menu (about device - system update), the update will always be there for whenever you feel the need to upgrade.
    I'm sorry but my experience says this is not true.

I have a Moto G3 and have been getting the MM update messages multiple times a day for 3 months now. I recently went into Settings|Apps|All|Motorola Update Services and unchecked the 'Show notifications' box. It now appears that I only get the MM update notification when I power up the phone instead of the multiple times each day like it has been. It's been less than a day since I did this so I can't say for sure it's a 'solution'.

I can live with getting the notification only when I power up the phone since it's usually on 24/7.

If anyone has a permanent solution that works I would love to hear it.

Edit: Well, unchecking the 'Display notifications' box didn't work. In the last 4 hours I've received the notification 'pop up' message twice now. This may likely be my last Motorola phone....
    07-09-2016 12:53 PM
    Just thought I post this for people looking for a solution.

After exchanging numerous emails with my provider and Motorola I've concluded that the notifications CANNOT be stopped. The following is the final message I received from Motorola on the subject:

There is no option to permanently disable the update notification. The system will not update itself automatically. It will only start the updating process once you tap on "Yes, I’m in" option.

I would suggest you to keep ignoring the notification for a few days and it may vanish but I cannot assure you on this. I hope you understand.

Since I've been getting the notifications for many weeks now I quite sure they will not 'vanish'.
    07-10-2016 03:52 PM
    On Lollipop, the process you want to disable is called "Motorola Update Services." On your phone's app settings, 'Disable' is probably greyed out. So ... download and install a free app called SD Maid. In SD Maid, go into Settings.. AppControl... and check the box that says "Include System-Apps." Now, get out of 'Settings' and go into SD Maid's AppControl section and scroll down or search til you find Motorola Update Services (system name: com.motorola.ccc.ota). Click on it and choose "Freeze app." Save and exit.

You will now see on your phone's Settings... Apps.. that the Update service is listed under "Disabled."
    I installed SD Maid (full paid version), but I do NOT see: Motorola Update Services (system name: com.motorola.ccc.ota). Click on it and choose "Freeze app." Save and exit.

There is NOT any "Freeze" option. I was able to disable one of the Update apps in Settings on my Note 4 (there are two Update apps in the Settings), but I still keep getting the Update Notice, and now I cannot choose Postpone, because it's "Grey."

I called Samsung Tech Support and they told me there is no way to stop the Marshmallow Update. This is very frustrating .... I just got a second Note 4 replacement because Marshmallow killed my battery life on my Note 4. Now I'm back to Lollipop, and my battery life is better, but even Lollipop has a battery drain bug, although not as bad as Marshmallow.

Is SD Maid the only option to try and kill the Updates (without Rooting). I do not want to Root. If I had rooted my Note 4, I would not have been able to get a replacement, and also Best Buy would not do the Software Reflash (which did NOT help, but actually made the Marshmallow battery drain even worse !!!)
    07-30-2016 03:01 PM
    I installed SD Maid (full paid version), but I do NOT see: Motorola Update Services
    ... There is NOT any "Freeze" option. I was able to disable one of the Update apps in Settings on my Note 4 (there are two Update apps in the Settings), but I still keep getting the Update Notice...

I called Samsung Tech Support and they told me there is no way to stop the Marshmallow Update.
    Samsung Tech Tupport gave you incorrect information, first of all.

I'm very sorry about your troubles you're having. I am, however, fairly certain you will not, unfortunately, be able to freeze that update process without root.

By the way, those other two "Update Apps" you speak of, what were they and where did you find them? We're they in the device's Settings... Apps... area?
    08-02-2016 06:32 PM
    I followed the suggestions for my Motorola G 3rd Gen by downloading SD maid. I went to Tools, then App Control, clicked on Motorola Update Services, and did not find an option to "Freeze App". So I'm stopped there. Any suggestions to keep going? I REALLY don't want to update my phone. The last update on a previous Motorola phone wiped out all sorts of stuff I was never able to recover. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    08-02-2016 08:22 PM
    I followed the suggestions for my Motorola G 3rd Gen by downloading SD maid. I went to Tools, then App Control, clicked on Motorola Update Services, and did not find an option to "Freeze App". So I'm stopped there. Any suggestions to keep going? I REALLY don't want to update my phone. The last update on a previous Motorola phone wiped out all sorts of stuff I was never able to recover. Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    Oh right, sorry, I misread your earlier post, and didn't realise that the Motorola Update was the the app with 'freeze' greyed out. I don't know, man. Even the things I always use for protection in the event of a bad update (Titanium Backup and Nandroid backup) both require root.

I can sure see why you're so reluctant about the update. Think I'd be gun-shy, too. I'm not sure of anything else to try. Guess you are stuck on PITA nag screen, at least for now.

Good luck, mate
    08-02-2016 10:45 PM
    Thanks. I really don't understand what rooting is or does, but I'm willing to do it if it will stop Marshmallow from taking over my phone. It will download as soon as I connect to WiFi. Has it worked for others to defect Marshmallow? How do get started rooting my phone? Any guidance is really appreciated.
    08-04-2016 04:44 PM
    Thanks. I really don't understand what rooting is or does, but I'm willing to do it if it will stop Marshmallow from taking over my phone. It will download as soon as I connect to WiFi. Has it worked for others to defect Marshmallow? How do get started rooting my phone? Any guidance is really appreciated.
    Rooting involves unlocking the bootloader, which also voids your warranty and wipes all your data, then installing SuperSU which also prevents you from taking future OTA updates (actually, you can take them but they will fail).

TBH, why not just take the update? I have been on Marshmallow since November and have had almost zero problems.
    08-05-2016 05:59 PM
    If you have a 16gb phone or bigger take the 6.0 update and format your card to extended memory. If you have an 8gb phone, don't have many apps, and use your phone for games, update also. However, if you are one of these people that uses their phone as a media/gaming centre, for God's sake stick with Lollipop, and put up with the notifications
    09-08-2016 05:42 AM
    Do we need to buy the SD Maid for this freezing feature ?
    Coz.... I am unable to find this option.
    When i am tapping on Motorola Update service, i m getting the options to
    Export
    Kill
    Blah blah
    But i m not getting freeze option.
    Can u pls guide me?
    09-25-2016 08:55 AM
    Beach, you are a life saver! I just bought a Moto G3 cuz it has Android 5.1.1, and near as I can figure, Marshmallow enables carriers to block tethering, so I did NOT want it upgrading. I'm not sure on this, but I dont want to take the chance! With the current version of SD Maid, there was no freeze option, I had to delete it, but I assume I can do a factory reset to get it back should I ever need OTA updates. Thanks dude!!!
    09-27-2016 02:08 AM
    Beach, you are a life saver! I just bought a Moto G3 cuz it has Android 5.1.1, and near as I can figure, Marshmallow enables carriers to block tethering, so I did NOT want it upgrading. I'm not sure on this, but I dont want to take the chance! With the current version of SD Maid, there was no freeze option, I had to delete it, but I assume I can do a factory reset to get it back should I ever need OTA updates. Thanks dude!!!
    Actually, since Android 4.1.2 carriers have been able to tell if you are tethering or not, and thus block tethering if they chose. Your reasoning for staying on Lollipop is flawed, although there other reasons to potentially stay on Lollipop over Marshmallow...
    09-27-2016 08:09 PM
    I'm so glad I could help 😊 thanks for the shout!
    09-29-2016 02:31 AM
    Actually, my reasoning is not flawed. I've tethered to Symbian and Windows phones for years, and I've never heard a peep from my carrier (Cricket). I bought a Moto G4 thinking I could continue tethering, but when I tried to enable the feature, I got a popup message saying that I needed to contact my carrier to add the mobile hotspot feature. I'd actually be happy to pay $10/month, but it's not offered on my plan. This is a Marshmallow thing. I returned the G4 and bought a G3 with Lollipop, and can tether just fine. Perhaps 5 allows Cricket to know, but thus far it hasnt been an issue. So I do not want to upgrade for this reason alone. I spend too much time in areas that have mobile data coverage but absolutely no internet coverage, and I need to use my laptop for work.

Unfortunately, SD Maid only works temporarily (I guess the phone needs to be rooted for it to be a permanent fix?). The marshmallow update notification isn't all that annoying (well it is, but I can live with it), but I'm afraid that if I turn on the wifi, it will update automatically. This is my first Android, so Im not sure if this is the case or not.

Can anyone tell me if the update is automatic, or will I need to approve it? If it does require an approval, then I could at least safely turn on the wifi. Thanks for any feedback!
    10-04-2016 09:31 PM
    If someone is attempting to disable the Marshmallow update, then , like me, they do not have lollipop.
    "Mototola Update Services" is not an existing Application. I believe we have KitCat ??
    It seems that "HtcDm" (capitolized exactly) is what is performing this update (or attempting to). It can be Forced Stoped in the settings app , but somethingkeeps turning it back on (I am not restarting the phone).
    I keep seeing that the Marshmallow update is downloading. I force stop HtcDm / clear data and then the next morning the vicious cycle starts again.
    SD maid has an option "Kill and delete Application"
    I am afraid to do this. Will killing the app screw things up ?, how would I re install it ?
    04-11-2017 11:21 PM
    If someone is attempting to disable the Marshmallow update, then , like me, they do not have lollipop.
    "Mototola Update Services" is not an existing Application. I believe we have KitCat ??
    It seems that "HtcDm" (capitolized exactly) is what is performing this update (or attempting to). It can be Forced Stoped in the settings app , but somethingkeeps turning it back on (I am not restarting the phone).
    I keep seeing that the Marshmallow update is downloading. I force stop HtcDm / clear data and then the next morning the vicious cycle starts again.
    SD maid has an option "Kill and delete Application"
    I am afraid to do this. Will killing the app screw things up ?, how would I re install it ?
    Do you have a Moto device?!?! We don't have any HTC applications on the Moto G 2015...

Disabling updates is fairly easy on a rooted device...

To stop OTA updates (and notifications) on Moto devices, you don't use Package Manager, you will need to "freeze" the service...

Google Play Store has many apps that will allow you to 'freeze' the OTA Update service. Titanium Backup is a common example.

Alternatively, with a 'root access' file explorer, you can delete or rename the following files:

/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
    /system/priv-app/3c_ota/3c_ota.apk

These additional files can be removed or renamed: (If you still get an OTA Update notification)

/system/priv-app/3c_checkin/3c_checkin.apk
    /system/priv-app/3c_devicemanagement/3c_devicemanagement.apk
    /system/priv-app/3c_notification/3c_notification.apk
    Note that this is for recent Moto devices only, other devices do NOT necessarily use the same methods, that is open to each OEM's discretion.
    04-12-2017 12:10 PM
48 12