How to disable system update notifications? Don't want marshmallow till its stable

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I keep hitting the circle to close the system update notification, but would like to not see them until more of the kinks are worked out with marshmallow on the 3G platform. Like SD access, wifi issues, overheating, etc. I know there's work arounds for some of this, but not for everything as far as I know.

Not ready for marshmallow ...

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: How to disable system update notifications? Don't want marshmallow till its stable ...

... close the system update notification, but would like to not see them ...
On Lollipop, the process you want to disable is called "Motorola Update Services." On your phone's app settings, 'Disable' is probably greyed out. So ... download and install a free app called SD Maid. In SD Maid, go into Settings.. AppControl... and check the box that says "Include System-Apps." Now, get out of 'Settings' and go into SD Maid's AppControl section and scroll down or search til you find Motorola Update Services (system name: com.motorola.ccc.ota). Click on it and choose "Freeze app." Save and exit.

You will now see on your phone's Settings... Apps.. that the Update service is listed under "Disabled."

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: How to disable system update notifications? Don't want marshmallow till its stable ...

Thanks again Beachfl1 !!! I'll try that and report back. I take it I can reverse the process to enable system updates at a later date?

Regards,
Ed

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

notifications to update go away exactly in one week, then you just have to check in (settings -> about device -> system update) for it if you want to upgrade, I wouldn't, 5.1.1 is leagues better than 6.0

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

Downloaded SD Maid and also the Pro Unlocker, but not seeing any options in that to disable. See System and Autostart set for the process, but no options to disable.

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

notifications to update go away exactly in one week, then you just have to check in (settings -> about device -> system update) for it if you want to upgrade, I wouldn't, 5.1.1 is leagues better than 6.0

Thanks David, I think we'll just follow this, and hope we don't accidentally install it in the meantime. My wife is not very techie :)

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Downloaded SD Maid... not seeing any options in that to disable. See System and Autostart...
OK... you can find the app in SD Maid's AppControl, right? So that means you enabled System Apps properly. The option in there to click says 'Freeze app,' not 'disable' (same thing, tho), and it's right above the Autostart (Receiver Manager) option.

If you can't find the app in the list, make sure 'Include System Apps' is checked in both the AppControl and AppCleaner part of SD Maid's settings.

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

If I click on the icon to the left of Motorola Update Services I see Force Stop (not greyed out) and Disable (greyed out). And 'Include System Apps' is checked in both.

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

If I click on the icon to the left of Motorola Update Services I see Force Stop (not greyed out) and Disable (greyed out). And 'Include System Apps' is checked in both.

No... that's on the settings for your phone's OS (Settings... Apps...). That's not where your needed fix is. It's within SD Maid. In SD Maid, click on the three lines in the top left, the same place you clicked on to get to SD Maid's own settings, but don't click on 'Settings' this time. Click on AppControl under the 'Tools' section there. That's where you're gonna find the Update service and Freeze it.

Unless, of course, your SD Maid looks completely different to mine.

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

Attached are screenshots. Doesn't seem like I have that option. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 796.jpg
    796.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 152

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

Another

Attachments

• 795.jpg
    795.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 152

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

One more

Attachments

• 797.jpg
    797.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 153

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Attached are screenshots. Doesn't seem like I have that option. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at?...

Hmm... yeah, that interface is not the same as mine. I'm presented with different options when I click on an app. It seems yours just takes you to your Android device settings. I'm using 4.0.6 Pro. I'm bummed it's not working for you.
Are you not rooted, by any chance? Without root, Android doesn't let any non-system app write to the System partition.
Sorry I suggested you were doing something wrong. 😀

Last edited:

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

Originally I just got SD Maid, but then added the Pro Unlocker. Now when I run it it shows SD Maid Pro. Just downloaded both in the last 12 hours. Not rooted. What are the pros and cons of rooting? I expect I can search for that :)

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

What are the pros and cons of rooting?
That's a serious question. To root or not root is the subject of a ton of forum threads.
There are also a whole bunch of websites on all the things your rooted phone will let you do, that you can't do on a non-rooted device.(Gizmodo and Lifehacker, to name a couple)

Good Luck (^o^)/

glentom

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site

Hi David, Let me get this straight. If you ignore the System Update notification for the upgrade to Marshmallow it will go away in one week and not come back. I'm going to get my Moto G 3rd Gen today and that's my biggest worry. Sounds like a lot of people would like to know that. Thanks, GlenTom

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Hi David, Let me get this straight. If you ignore the System Update notification for the upgrade to Marshmallow it will go away in one week and not come back. I'm going to get my Moto G 3rd Gen today and that's my biggest worry. Sounds like a lot of people would like to know that. Thanks, GlenTom

it will come back for some days but no longer than 6-7 days, you can always upgrade your device from the settings menu (about device - system update), the update will always be there for whenever you feel the need to upgrade.

glentom

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site

Thanks, best answer I've heard on what to do. IMHO.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, best answer I've heard on what to do. IMHO.

You're welcome, there's no hurry to upgrade as the update is always there waiting for you to decide whether is worth it or not (the way notifications are sent during first week... looks like they're trying to force the upgrade on users, I don't like it at all).

I upgraded twice on two different Moto G 2015 and I had to revert back to 5.1.1 also twice... I suggest reading as much as you can on how Internal/External storage is managed by Marshmallow and the bugs the upgrade brings, maybe it's not worth the trouble since it doesn't even include a real "Doze" feature for the battery, actually the battery is better on 5.1.1, but that's just my experience... there's controversy whether Marshmallow is really worth it or not on the Moto G 2015.

Also, please consider uninstalling SD Maid - Pro Unlocker, as far as I can see you don't need them for anything here, update notifications go away in some days and you will always have it ready anyways in settings - about device - system update. You don't need to force stop important system services.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie