How to disable system update notifications? Don't want marshmallow till its stable

Sweta Rajpuriya

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Re: How to disable system update notifications? Don't want marshmallow till its stable ...

Do we need to buy the SD Maid for this freezing feature ?
Coz.... I am unable to find this option.
When i am tapping on Motorola Update service, i m getting the options to
Export
Kill
Blah blah
But i m not getting freeze option.
Can u pls guide me?

truchaman

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Beach, you are a life saver! I just bought a Moto G3 cuz it has Android 5.1.1, and near as I can figure, Marshmallow enables carriers to block tethering, so I did NOT want it upgrading. I'm not sure on this, but I dont want to take the chance! With the current version of SD Maid, there was no freeze option, I had to delete it, but I assume I can do a factory reset to get it back should I ever need OTA updates. Thanks dude!!!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Beach, you are a life saver! I just bought a Moto G3 cuz it has Android 5.1.1, and near as I can figure, Marshmallow enables carriers to block tethering, so I did NOT want it upgrading. I'm not sure on this, but I dont want to take the chance! With the current version of SD Maid, there was no freeze option, I had to delete it, but I assume I can do a factory reset to get it back should I ever need OTA updates. Thanks dude!!!
Actually, since Android 4.1.2 carriers have been able to tell if you are tethering or not, and thus block tethering if they chose. Your reasoning for staying on Lollipop is flawed, although there other reasons to potentially stay on Lollipop over Marshmallow...

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

I'm so glad I could help 😊 thanks for the shout!

truchaman

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Actually, my reasoning is not flawed. I've tethered to Symbian and Windows phones for years, and I've never heard a peep from my carrier (Cricket). I bought a Moto G4 thinking I could continue tethering, but when I tried to enable the feature, I got a popup message saying that I needed to contact my carrier to add the mobile hotspot feature. I'd actually be happy to pay $10/month, but it's not offered on my plan. This is a Marshmallow thing. I returned the G4 and bought a G3 with Lollipop, and can tether just fine. Perhaps 5 allows Cricket to know, but thus far it hasnt been an issue. So I do not want to upgrade for this reason alone. I spend too much time in areas that have mobile data coverage but absolutely no internet coverage, and I need to use my laptop for work.

Unfortunately, SD Maid only works temporarily (I guess the phone needs to be rooted for it to be a permanent fix?). The marshmallow update notification isn't all that annoying (well it is, but I can live with it), but I'm afraid that if I turn on the wifi, it will update automatically. This is my first Android, so Im not sure if this is the case or not.

Can anyone tell me if the update is automatic, or will I need to approve it? If it does require an approval, then I could at least safely turn on the wifi. Thanks for any feedback!

mhnac

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
Re: How to disable system update notifications? Don't want marshmallow till its stable ...

If someone is attempting to disable the Marshmallow update, then , like me, they do not have lollipop.
"Mototola Update Services" is not an existing Application. I believe we have KitCat ??
It seems that "HtcDm" (capitolized exactly) is what is performing this update (or attempting to). It can be Forced Stoped in the settings app , but somethingkeeps turning it back on (I am not restarting the phone).
I keep seeing that the Marshmallow update is downloading. I force stop HtcDm / clear data and then the next morning the vicious cycle starts again.
SD maid has an option "Kill and delete Application"
I am afraid to do this. Will killing the app screw things up ?, how would I re install it ?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

If someone is attempting to disable the Marshmallow update, then , like me, they do not have lollipop.
"Mototola Update Services" is not an existing Application. I believe we have KitCat ??
It seems that "HtcDm" (capitolized exactly) is what is performing this update (or attempting to). It can be Forced Stoped in the settings app , but somethingkeeps turning it back on (I am not restarting the phone).
I keep seeing that the Marshmallow update is downloading. I force stop HtcDm / clear data and then the next morning the vicious cycle starts again.
SD maid has an option "Kill and delete Application"
I am afraid to do this. Will killing the app screw things up ?, how would I re install it ?
Do you have a Moto device?!?! We don't have any HTC applications on the Moto G 2015...

Disabling updates is fairly easy on a rooted device...

To stop OTA updates (and notifications) on Moto devices, you don't use Package Manager, you will need to "freeze" the service...

Google Play Store has many apps that will allow you to 'freeze' the OTA Update service. Titanium Backup is a common example.

Alternatively, with a 'root access' file explorer, you can delete or rename the following files:

/system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
/system/priv-app/3c_ota/3c_ota.apk

These additional files can be removed or renamed: (If you still get an OTA Update notification)

/system/priv-app/3c_checkin/3c_checkin.apk
/system/priv-app/3c_devicemanagement/3c_devicemanagement.apk
/system/priv-app/3c_notification/3c_notification.apk
Note that this is for recent Moto devices only, other devices do NOT necessarily use the same methods, that is open to each OEM's discretion.

robertoesquinas

May 22, 2018
Visit site

On Lollipop, the process you want to disable is called "Motorola Update Services." On your phone's app settings, 'Disable' is probably greyed out. So ... download and install a free app called SD Maid. In SD Maid, go into Settings.. AppControl... and check the box that says "Include System-Apps." Now, get out of 'Settings' and go into SD Maid's AppControl section and scroll down or search til you find Motorola Update Services (system name: com.motorola.ccc.ota). Click on it and choose "Freeze app." Save and exit.

You will now see on your phone's Settings... Apps.. that the Update service is listed under "Disabled."

Hello, i just created an account to say thank you very much.. i cant tell you how much ive suffered on my moto g5 plus because of the update notification. This solved it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol