Backups, How to? How to verify?

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I saw a warning on my screen that the Simm was not being read, or something like that. The phone would not dial out. I tried again and no notice and the phone worked. Later it ran that cycle again.

I now recall that adage: There are those that do backups and there that wish they had....

How do I check to see if backups are happening? How do I induce a backup? How do I verify that one has happened?

MotoG Android 5.1

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
(Assuming you are not rooted) Go to Settings and Backup & Reset, verify Backups are turned on and you Backup Account is correct (gmail account typically), these happen automatically and will backup your Contacts, most system settings (like WiFi associations and passwords), wallpaper, and what apps are installed (NOT the data). Other items like photos, SMS messages, and all other data need to be backed up with other apps like Google Photos, SMS Backup & Restore, or other apps. You can also use ADB to backup data on the phone ([GUIDE] Full Phone Backup without Unlock or … | Samsung Galaxy Nexus)

If you are rooted, you can use Ultimate Backup, Titanium Backup, or even TWRP to do a full backup.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Rooted?
Is there any way to verify that a back up has been made?
Rooting, typically if you have to ask what it is, it's probably not for you (no offense, it's not for the light-hearted) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooting_(Android_OS)

As far as verifying the information, you can look in Google... go to contacts.google.com and see if your contacts are there, but most of the information is considered "secured" and cannot be viewed directly to my knowledge.

Here is a summary of how and what Android Backup Service backups and how it restores, it says it is for Nexus devices, but our phones are very much plain-jane Android, so it still applies. https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2819582?hl=en

Emerogork

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I will look into Google.com for my phone contacts. This is all I care about because I use it, well, as a phone.....
Thanks, I will check into it.