SD card not getting formatted

mesamit

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I tried to use sd card as internal storage in moto g3 running android 6.0. I followed steps on screen and while it was formatting sd card, it crashed with error "common 21 volume partition disk 179,64 public failed with null". Now my sd card can't be read by any device and Moto g3 keeps on asking to format sd card and it fails to do so with above error. Is there any way to fix this ?

Ian Morgan2

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Done a quick search, and there seems some suggestion it may be "exFAT volume" is corrupted.

Posted via the Android Central App

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure if you put it into a Windows computer and used file explorer to format it as FAT32 you could put it back into your phone, it may work. If it doesn't show up on windows explorer I don't know.

Posted via the Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Get the app called SD Insight from the Play Store, and make sure the card is what it's supposed to be... the behavior you describe is common in counterfeit or "fake" cards.

If everything checks out OK, try putting in a windows machine and try deleting the partition table and creating a new one with a FAT32 partition, if that fails, try SD Card Formatter from the SD Association.

Dinesh93

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I am also having the same problem with my moto g3 running marshmallow. Suddenly my transcend 32 gb sd card got corrupted which i used as internal storage. Now it seems not recognized and not getting formatted as either portable or internal storage. Did you find any steps to format SD card or else we need to buy another one?

Chris_N

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I also got this error* on a Samsung Tab A 10.1 inch but strangely the card works fine on a Samsung Tab 4 and also in a card reader on my computer. I came to the conclusion that it was just not compatible with one type of tablet.

Kiind regards
Chris

* Command '9 volume partion disk: 179,32 public' failed with '400 9 Command failed'

bleh blehu

Oct 14, 2018
Visit site
I also got this error* on a Samsung Tab A 10.1 inch but strangely the card works fine on a Samsung Tab 4 and also in a card reader on my computer. I came to the conclusion that it was just not compatible with one type of tablet.

Kiind regards
Chris

* Command '9 volume partion disk: 179,32 public' failed with '400 9 Command failed'

Probably some process is using SD card so it fails during partitioning.
Use adb, get shell and use sm to unmount the volume, then use same sm tool to start private partitioning.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae