My phone just assured me that it is up to date, with 6.0 and the 01 Dec 2015 security update.

This latest embarrassing revelation about the Nexus phones' vulnerability (the rooting bug) makes me a bit more nervous about Android security in general.

I am going to buy an iPhone SE, and think seriously about moving my SIM to it after I play with it for a while.

It's a shame, because i really like my Moto G, but my first smartphone was an iPhone 4, and my Other Half has an iPhone 6, as does my daughter. A granddaughter has an iPhone 6s, so I guess I'll join them.
    Maknora likes this.
    03-22-2016 08:37 PM
    My phone just assured me that it is up to date, with 6.0 and the 01 Dec 2015 security update.

This latest embarrassing revelation about the Nexus phones' vulnerability (the rooting bug) makes me a bit more nervous about Android security in general.

I am going to buy an iPhone SE, and think seriously about moving my SIM to it after I play with it for a while.

It's a shame, because i really like my Moto G, but my first smartphone was an iPhone 4, and my Other Half has an iPhone 6, as does my daughter. A granddaughter has an iPhone 6s, so I guess I'll join them.
    No offense, but if you wanted monthly updates you should have gotten a Nexus device, not a Moto G... Moto has made no reference to doing the monthly security updates, but to be honest you are more likely to be struck by lightening while being bitten by a shark than suffer any negative effect from most of the Android security updates that are put out.

If you want to buy a $500 iPhone instead, more power to you, I hope it works out for you.
    03-22-2016 09:03 PM
    I have very mixed feelings about this, but I also see Googles statements about the FBI power-grab somewhat lukewarm, compared to Apples stance.
    03-22-2016 09:09 PM
    I have very mixed feelings about this, but I also see Googles statements about the FBI power-grab somewhat lukewarm, compared to Apples stance.
    I don't think it's quite the same thing... Apple writes the OS for all Apple devices and it's closed source and completely under Apples umbrella. Google does not write the OS for any Android devices except Nexus and it's core OS is open source. To do the same thing the FBI would have to go toe to toe with Samsung, LG, Huawei, etc... not Google itself. So for the most part, it would have to be a far more unique situation than this where Google would have to be in a similar position...
    03-23-2016 06:51 AM
    Motorola never committed to the monthly security updates. If this concerns you, you should switch to Nexus.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    03-24-2016 10:09 PM