Phone (Moto G 2015) won't get recognized by PC

LeviCituaist

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
When I plug in my phone through a USB cable and it appears on "My Computer" and I click on it, the page is all white, like this: http://prntscr.com/b3ekdy
If I try to transfer a file into the Motog3 it says: Cannot copy item
The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.
I've tried two different cables but it won't work.
Help, please?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Did you check either one of these other threads here that are the exact same problem?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-g-2015/630247-pc-can-t-access-moto-g-files.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...3-folder-empty-when-connected-pc-how-fix.html

A quick Google search will get you the same answers from any of a dozen android forum sites or Stack Exchange... Since I have it open I will copy and the answer:

This is a known bug in the Moto G3 when adopting storage as internal or when using external storage after an update (or other random times)... When you connect your Moto G3 to your computer and enable MTP mode, you should see two "drives", one that is internal (your SD card) and one external (your old internal storage). Without consistency, some users report either or both the internal storage and external storage do not show up.

Start by rebooting and clearing cache partition. Motorola says this will take 5-10 minutes, I assume they tested this on a bare device with no apps or other information just fresh out of the box, because it takes significantly longer. Also, the device will appear frozen, this is normal, be patient and wait. It will take a significant amount of time in recovery, and in the first boot, this is normal.

If that doesn't work, then the storage and media databases need to be wiped and rebuilt.

1. Disconnect USB cable
  2. Go to Settings - Apps
  3. Tap 3-Dot overflow menu and select Show system
  4. Scroll down and select the app called External Storage
  5. Inside External Storage select Storage
  6. Inside Storage tap Clear cache and Clear data
  7. Go back to the app list and scroll down to Media Storage
  8. Repeat steps 5&6 with Media Storage app
  9. Reboot the device
  10. After it is fully booted and appears functional, wait a minimum of 5 minutes (media and storage cache's are rebuilding automatically)
  11. Connect USB cable and using the notification drop-down menu, select USB Charging - Touch for more options and select Transfer Files (MTP)
This should give you access to both storage media via your PC, it has always worked for me and I have had to do it a few times, but I use Linux. Note that some users have not been able to make this work in Windows, it seems that in some instances Windows get's, for lack of a better word, dumb with MTP devices sometimes.

If all this fails, then the action of last resort is a full factory default, skip setup, adopt storage, and verify operation, then set up the device again. If this fails, the problem isn't likely the device, but the computer.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
When I plug in my phone through a USB cable and it appears on "My Computer" and I click on it, the page is all white, like this: http://prntscr.com/b3ekdy
If I try to transfer a file into the Motog3 it says: Cannot copy item
The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected.
I've tried two different cables but it won't work.
Help, please?

Are you swiping down from the top of your phones screen and tapping "transfer files" or something similar?

LaurieEm

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I'm no expert, but I have a third party answer that works for me. I have had the frustration of fixing this problem (after web searches and learning) only to have it come back a few months later. Usually when it happens, I am wanting to quickly transfer a file and get going elsewhere, and I have no time to fiddle with it.

You can sidestep the whole thing by installing Teamviewer QuickSupport (not the regular Teamviewer app) on your phone, and Teamviewer on your PC (if it isn't already there). Then you can transfer files without a cable connection. You launch TVQS on the phone and you will see the code you need to type in on the computer in Partner ID. Then you approve a remote control session on your phone and click "start now". Now you turn to the PC, and look for File Transfer. JOY! In fact, it's a joy to delete old files from the phone with your mouse.

I hope this will help somebody some day.
Laurie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool