My Moto G 3rd is so slow :<

Rooby pls

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Hey, guys, before explaining the problem I'll let you know that my previous device was a iPhone 5 16gb, received an at&t ''upgrade'' to this phone which I was totally liking so far.
So I have this device, Moto G 3rd Gen (2015) 8gb, 1gb RAM going at it with Marshmallow 6.0 and I've been getting some real slow and laggy times to load applications, multi-task so I begun to monitor my memory used and free, and came to see that I as of now have 744mb used and 155 mb free out of 898mb total.
Which is frustrating since I can't really manage to enjoy having this phone ):
I've done some research myself and came to several possible solutions such as:
Factory reset (Done)
Wiping cache out (Done)
Disable some background apps (Done)

And nothing but wiping cache out has helped, for a short period of time though,
I am not thinking about switching from Stock Android to Custom Rom whatsoever, mainly because it's meant to be used this way... it's getting on my nerves :< how come a brand new phone loaded with quad-core, 1gb ram can be so slooooow?

Please do help me, guys, I'd very much appreciate it and thanks for reading.

Robert.

[Sorry about the ''repost'', it's just that I posted it as a question first, new at this community :p]

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey, guys, before explaining the problem I'll let you know that my previous device was a iPhone 5 16gb, received an at&t ''upgrade'' to this phone which I was totally liking so far.
So I have this device, Moto G 3rd Gen (2015) 8gb, 1gb RAM going at it with Marshmallow 6.0 and I've been getting some real slow and laggy times to load applications, multi-task so I begun to monitor my memory used and free, and came to see that I as of now have 744mb used and 155 mb free out of 898mb total.
Which is frustrating since I can't really manage to enjoy having this phone ):
I've done some research myself and came to several possible solutions such as:
Factory reset (Done)
Wiping cache out (Done)
Disable some background apps (Done)

And nothing but wiping cache out has helped, for a short period of time though,
I am not thinking about switching from Stock Android to Custom Rom whatsoever, mainly because it's meant to be used this way... it's getting on my nerves :< how come a brand new phone loaded with quad-core, 1gb ram can be so slooooow?

Please do help me, guys, I'd very much appreciate it and thanks for reading.

Robert.

[Sorry about the ''repost'', it's just that I posted it as a question first, new at this community :p]
First, please don't double post... there is enough traffic in this forum that you will receive an answer within 24 hours in most cases.

To be honest, going from a $500+ iPhone 5 to a Moto G is not a real upgrade, it is a lateral shift at best but probably more of a downgrade... People can argue with me on that all you want, but there is a real discrepancy in the level of device here and how it is engineered. That being said, you should not have significant lag or issues using the phone, although multitasking can get a little funky when several apps are open at the same time, but it still shouldn't be a real problem. The free memory thing isn't a problem, the phone will use most of the memory for caching applications and release when needed, that is how the Android (Linux) kernel works. Keep in mind this is a budget device, and your model is the bottom level device (there is a 2GB/16GB version that handles multitasking much better).

I would do a factory reset, and not install any applications, must use the embedded ones for a few days... does the problem still exist? If it does, you may have a defective device and should contact Moto Customer Care. If it is fine, then load your apps and run it for a few days normally, does the problem occur now? If so, one of two things is occuring, you either are using an app that is bogging down the system, or the device just doesn't have the horsepower/memory for what you use it for and you should consider a more powerful device well you are still within your "buyers remorse" window with AT&T.

One more question, are you using an SD card as adopted storage? If so, this can significantly increase storage, but at the cost of potentially significant slow down, depending on your SD card (UHS-3 is recommended for internal storage do to it's high sustained write speed).

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree with acejavelin, if you're using an SD card this could be the cause of your problems. Also, before a factory reset you could try booting your phone into safe mode and see if it makes any difference. This process will disable temporarily any third party app that you downloaded.

Rooby pls

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Actually did a factory reset, and yes, I was using a class 10 micro sd which got detected anyway as too slow to use as internal.
Removed the micro sd and still had some delay, regular,
So I opt to install cyanogenmod 13 and it actually kind of flies,
now the problem I have is the micro sd, I bought it specifically class 10 from a stationery store and turned out to be (accordingly to SD Insight) manufactured in Phison Electronic Corp, the sd sealed package is sony and so is the brand on it.
What do you guys think of that? should I go and get a 32gb class 10 from a different store? and how would I know it isn't a fake one too :<?

Also thank you for everything already, guys.

EDIT: And how do I pick it? thought any class 10 would work.

Rooby pls

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I am just so scared to lead myself into a fake micro sd card again, thank you so much everyone.
Do you guys really think I'm doing a downgrade by going from iPhone 5 to this Moto G 3rd Gen 8G/1GB Ram?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I am just so scared to lead myself into a fake micro sd card again, thank you so much everyone.
Do you guys really think I'm doing a downgrade by going from iPhone 5 to this Moto G 3rd Gen 8G/1GB Ram?
The bare minimum SD card should be rated at UHS1, preferably UHS3... this will help reduce delays significantly vs Class 10... the read speeds are similar but the write speeds is where the real difference is. Although there are lesser known brand cards that are good, it is best to stick with the companies that actually manufacture their own chips, like Samsung EVO (or EVO+), PNY High Performance, or Sandisk Extreme are my go to cards for critical use, for cheapo cards typically MIcroCenter store brand (they are not the fastest, but seem to last). Just buy them from a reputable dealer that will stand behind what they sell, test it immediately and if it fails or is not what it seems, demand an exchange or refund. Even purchases direct from Amazon have gotten fake cards, so it is a significant problem.

Is it really a downgrade... well, it is kind of like comparing a few year old Cadillac to a new Sonic, it all depends how you look at it. But you have to remember the iPhone 5 was a $650 phone when it was released, and the Moto G 8GB is a $180, so there is a comparison problem. But if you look at "my iPhone 5 was this good when it was new" compared to "my Moto G is this good when it was new" from the perspective of the time, there is a real difference in devices. You would expect a $650 phone to be near perfect and fluid, not so much for one almost a third of it's price.

Rooby pls

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm really really considering going back to my iPhone 5, one thing among other stopped me, the chip which I haven't gone to chop down.
I'm gonna need more opinions, guys, I've used iOS and Android before now. And I do realize Moto G3 has way ''greater'' specifications on the hardware side, but in terms of optimization I do recall almost never having trouble with using iOS
What do you guys think?
Aldo thanks for everything acejavelin, you're very helpful c:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm really really considering going back to my iPhone 5, one thing among other stopped me, the chip which I haven't gone to chop down.
I'm gonna need more opinions, guys, I've used iOS and Android before now. And I do realize Moto G3 has way ''greater'' specifications on the hardware side, but in terms of optimization I do recall almost never having trouble with using iOS
What do you guys think?
Aldo thanks for everything acejavelin, you're very helpful c:
Look at how you use it... The Moto G is bigger (screen size), much better battery, and better customization.

I can tell you my work phone is a iPhone 5s and I hate it in comparison, we are allowed to use our work phones for personal use and I tried but am much happier with my Moto G.

I think I may have got you going down path earlier, I wasn't trying to sway you from the Moto G by saying it's inferior to the iPhone 5, it's just you said were coming from that device and using apple devices in the past I knew Android, especially budget devices, can be... Umm... Unpolished by comparison.

The Moto G is a great device, when I bought it I was going to use it as a temporary device until later (now actually) when I could get what I really wanted, a Nexus 5x, at a reasonable price. Well, it's been down under $275 several times now and I have skipped it each time because the Moto G is such a good device for the money I don't want to give it up.