Cannot see Moto G when connected to PC.

A

AC Question

I have tried Win10 and Win7 computers and 3 different cables, charge symbol shows on phone but no notifications, PC's do not show Moto icon either. Also lost passcode lock screen on phone. No notifications are showing up, texts, facebook etc.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you connect via USB, does nothing show up when you swipe down the notification panel?

What do you mean that the passcode lock screen was lost? Do you mean you are unable to set up a screenlock? You're not logged in under a guest profile, are you?

G_TBoos

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
When I connect with the USB cable it says No Notifications when I swipe down the panel. The phone was set up with a passcode on the home screen, it no longer locks, not sure about a guest profile though, how can I check that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you swipe down the notification panel, do you see an avatar at the upper right? Tap it and see what profile shows up.

Also, which generation Moto G is this? It may be worth wiping the cache partition, and I'm not sure if the steps are the same for all generations.

G_TBoos

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
When I tap the avatar there is no response from the phone, it is as if I have not selected it.
The phone is a 3rd Gen, running Android 6, never had too many problems until this past weekend, received a warning that it was running out of space, then notifications stopped, now the screen does not lock out.

G_TBoos

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I wiped the Cache following the instructions, the phone still does not show any notifications, or sound the ring tone when receiving a message, but the message is there. I have also lost all my downloaded ringtones now.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wiping the cache shouldn't have erased any of the actual ringtone files. Where did you download them to? Use a file manager app to copy them to the Ringtones directory (in Internal Storage), then try choosing them again.

I checked around, and it appears that the 3rd gen Moto G doesn't have a Guest mode, so that idea goes out the window. I'm thinking that the update might have installed incorrectly, so you could consider manually reinstalling using Motorola Device Manager: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/87731

G_TBoos

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Reinstalled the MDM, still could not connect to the phone, with multiple cables. Since I still could not connect to the device with MDM I ran the developer options and USB debugging as listed at the bottom. Still no help, I think I am looking at requiring a factory reset and starting all over again.