I know that we're not getting monthly updates for the 3rd gen Moto G, but does anyone know if Lenovo plan on updating it to Nougat? The hardware seems almost identical to the Moto G Play (2016 model) so it should not be that much extra work...
    08-24-2016 05:47 AM
    I know that we're not getting monthly updates for the 3rd gen Moto G, but does anyone know if Lenovo plan on updating it to Nougat? The hardware seems almost identical to the Moto G Play (2016 model) so it should not be that much extra work...
    No... Moto has made no commitment to this device, or any device except the Nexus 6 as of yet, neither has most manufacturers. http://android.stackexchange.com/q/139232/146132

That being said, the G3 will likely get it... After the Z, G4, X Style/Pure, and X Play, so think November to February time frame.
    08-24-2016 02:02 PM
    No... Moto has made no commitment to this device, or any device except the Nexus 6 as of yet, neither has most manufacturers. When will my device get the Android 7.0 update (Nougat)? - Android Enthusiasts Stack Exchange

That being said, the G3 will likely get it... After the Z, G4, X Style/Pure, and X Play, so think November to February time frame.
    As I said above, I assume that once the g4 play gets the update, the g3 will soon follow. Same soc, same res, etc etc. of course, other parts of the device might be different and need different drivers, but other than that, it should not be too different.
    08-24-2016 05:51 PM
    I'd say we're last to get it though but I'll still be happy to get nougat
    08-30-2016 07:50 AM
    Moto G3 will be the last priority among Moto phones for Nougat
    08-30-2016 01:41 PM
    My wife's G3 is still on the December security patch level... So I am not gonna be holding my breath for Nougat anytime soon
    08-30-2016 10:18 PM
    There is no public commitment.
    08-30-2016 10:28 PM
    Lenovo is seriously squandering all the goodwill Moto got when it was a Google company.
    08-31-2016 02:59 PM
    My wife's G3 is still on the December security patch level... So I am not gonna be holding my breath for Nougat anytime soon
    +1. Still on the December security patch level; and there are some very serious vulnerabilities out there. What a joke. I can't imagine anyone ever buying another Motorola (Lenovo destroyed) product after owning this. I bought this phone because I really can't be messing with ROMS right now (can't jeopardize a working phone because I really need it to make calls). So much for that idea.
    09-01-2016 12:13 PM
    Bottom line: Buy Nexus (or whatever Google calls the next one) if you want guaranteed OS and security updates.
    09-01-2016 12:45 PM
    Bottom line: Buy Nexus (or whatever Google calls the next one) if you want guaranteed OS and security updates.
    Lesson learned... Moto, you had so much potential and goodwill...
    09-01-2016 12:49 PM
    Lesson learned... Moto, you had so much potential and goodwill...
    Moto never committed to the monthly security updates.
    09-01-2016 01:29 PM
    Moto never committed to the monthly security updates.
    So that's the excuse I keep on hearing.
    And that makes it right?
    09-01-2016 01:38 PM
    And that makes it right?
    Yes, it does actually... GOOGLE said they would do monthly security updates for Nexus phones. How does that apply to Moto or any other OEM?
    09-01-2016 03:33 PM
    Yes, it does actually... GOOGLE said they would do monthly security updates for Nexus phones. How does that apply to Moto or any other OEM?
    Because security is important? Now, Google needs to step in and help fix this mess. They need to make it as easy as possible for OEMs to release securty updates. Once OEMs have really easy ways to drop the updates into the devices, Google can use the play services conditions for the future to rely on actually having those security updates.
    09-01-2016 03:42 PM
    Because security is important? Now, Google needs to step in and help fix this mess. They need to make it as easy as possible for OEMs to release securty updates. Once OEMs have really easy ways to drop the updates into the devices, Google can use the play services conditions for the future to rely on actually having those security updates.
    Yeah... That's actually possible with phones that ship with Nougat (not ones updated to it), but even then it's optional for OEMs to implement.

The issue is Google doesn't own or control Android, they just maintain the AOSP base source code. They can't force OEMs to do anything as long as Android is Open Source.

And I have argues many times before, these "security updates" for the most part are not a technical necessity, they are only intended to make people feel good. There are tons of vulnerabilities, but few real world exploits.
    09-01-2016 03:48 PM
    Yeah... That's actually possible with phones that ship with Nougat (not ones updated to it), but even then it's optional for OEMs to implement.

The issue is Google doesn't own or control Android, they just maintain the AOSP base source code. They can't force OEMs to do anything as long as Android is Open Source.

And I have argues many times before, these "security updates" for the most part are not a technical necessity, they are only intended to make people feel good. There are tons of vulnerabilities, but few real world exploits.
    Android is open source, but play services are not, so it's a carrot/stick situation that Google can use to put pressure on OEMs.

As for the security issues, I work in IT, I know about that the chances of being exploited are not that big, but they exist. Sure, social engineering is the biggest attack vector, specially for pointy haired bosses who open attachments and click on links nilly willy, and then you've got to clean the mess...
    acejavelin likes this.
    09-01-2016 04:37 PM
    Android is open source, but play services are not, so it's a carrot/stick situation that Google can use to put pressure on OEMs.

As for the security issues, I work in IT, I know about that the chances of being exploited are not that big, but they exist. Sure, social engineering is the biggest attack vector, specially for pointy haired bosses who open attachments and click on links nilly willy, and then you've got to clean the mess...
    yet Google doesn't put pressure on the OEMs.
    09-01-2016 04:49 PM
    And that makes it right?
    Motorola didn't break any commitments to monthly security updates because they never made a commitment to monthly security updates.

Right or wrong, if monthly security updates are important to you, buy from an OEM that promises and delivers on that promise.
    09-01-2016 04:50 PM
    The only way right now for OEMs to make monthly security updates an important piece of the product they're selling is if sales decline because they're not currently committed to monthly security updates.
    09-01-2016 04:53 PM