I bought this phone in June, and I quickly found out that 8gb of storage, especially with half of it taken by the OS, runs out pretty fast. Naturally, I got an SD card to expand the laughable amount of storage, thinking all I needed to do was copy paste my apps and files on there. Right from the get go I was faced with a decision : Format as external or internal storage. After some quick googling, I found out that in order to move apps, it has to be internal. I bit the bullet, knowing that it would render it unusable in anything else than my phone, because I desperately needed space (that darn ''internal storage almost full'' notification had to go). It was ok at first, before I realised that half the apps refuse to move to the SD card. What gives? Oh well, at least I can save pictures on there, right?

Nope, as I recently found out. I was taking pictures out on a trip and lo and behold, my internal storage became full. I was confused, because I have about 58gb of free space on my card. I figured I could just copy the pictures over and delete them in order to take more. Problem is, I cannot find the option. I got file manager apps, to no avail. I plugged the phone into the computer, same thing, the option isn't there. I tried changing the settings in the camera app to save to the card, but the option isn't even there. I took the card out and put it back in. The device does recognize it, just not when it comes to moving files to it I looked in some other posts, and apparently if the card is formatted as internal storage, I can't save pictures on there. What? Why? What is the point of getting a card if I have to choose between moving apps(most of which who won't even give the option) or pictures? If I do it the other way, I can't move apps over. What am I supposed to do? I'm sorry I couldn't afford a fancy schmancy 800$ phone with 20 gigs of space or whatever. I'm basically stuck with a pitiful ~0.5gb of space for pictures, between all the apps that won't move and the OS. I'm out of ideas, and I just feel like throwing my phone against the wall every time I see the asinine : ''Storage almost full/ Insufficient storage'' notifications. No it's not darnit, there's 58gb of space just waiting to be used. I thought Android was supposed to be user friendly, not having to jump through hoops to copy pictures onto an SD card.

TL;DR : Do I really have to choose between saving only apps or pictures on my SD card, depending on the formatting, or is there a way to have both?
    09-30-2016 11:55 AM
    Copying files to an SD card requires an external SD card, installing apps to it as if it were part of the phone requires an internal card - you have to choose one or the other.

That said, you may be able to "move" apps to an external card after they're installed - it depends on the app. (But not all of the app moves - you don't save a lot of space doing it that way. Bottom line is that you choose a small phone and live with a small amount of storage or a larger phone to get more storage.)
    09-30-2016 12:33 PM
    This pretty much answers my question. Thinking back, my old tablet that runs on 4.0 can save apps on the card, so i'll hope that some can migrate over. How unfortunate that they give you the option to put an SD card in there but it's pretty much useless. Is there a good reason for this? A technical reason, other than making it difficult to live with a small amount of phone storage to encourage you to buy a more expensive one. Serves me right for spending money on something that I thought would be useful, but is pretty much garbage now. They should tell you this when you format : One is for apps, the other is for files, choose wisely!
    09-30-2016 12:50 PM
    This pretty much answers my question. Thinking back, my old tablet that runs on 4.0 can save apps on the card, so i'll hope that some can migrate over. How unfortunate that they give you the option to put an SD card in there but it's pretty much useless. Is there a good reason for this? A technical reason, other than making it difficult to live with a small amount of phone storage to encourage you to buy a more expensive one. Serves me right for spending money on something that I thought would be useful, but is pretty much garbage now. They should tell you this when you format : One is for apps, the other is for files, choose wisely!
    I agree that the memory set up on Marshmallow is pretty stupid, and as yet I can't see any advantages. This is an android issue, and NOT Motorola.However, about half the apps can be put on the card, and all of your photos and music. Try this, click on settings/storage/SD card/click on 3 dots in top right hand corner, and you should be given the option to migrate. This will transfer all your photos and music etc to your card. As far as apps go, settings/storage/internal storage/apps. Click on each app one by one, and some will give you the option to transfer to your card.

Hope this helps
    10-03-2016 07:23 AM