Insufficient Space

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
So my wife has a Moto G (3rd gen) running Marshmallow. I have a 32GB SD card installed in her phone, and formatted it as "internal storage". Why is she still getting "insufficient space" errors when apps try to update? I thought that the whole purpose of adoptable storage was to help out smaller phones (8GB) with their space issues?

Am I missing something? I'm running a Samsung GS5 and adoptable storage isn't possible on that so I have no experience in using it...

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
So my wife has a Moto G (3rd gen) running Marshmallow. I have a 32GB SD card installed in her phone, and formatted it as "internal storage". Why is she still getting "insufficient space" errors when apps try to update? I thought that the whole purpose of adoptable storage was to help out smaller phones (8GB) with their space issues?

Am I missing something? I'm running a Samsung GS5 and adoptable storage isn't possible on that so I have no experience in using it...

This may help give you some space. settings/storage/internal storage. Then tap on each app to see if it can be transferred to your sd card. Also, settings/storage/tap sd card, 3 dots right corner and migrate.

Last edited:

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
This may help give you some space. settings/storage/internal storage. Then tap on each app to see if it transferred to your sd card. Also, settings/storage/tap sd card, 3 dots right corner and migrate.

Thank you. I will try that when I can get my hands on her phone. :)

sparkybird

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Be aware that after an update some of your apps will move back to the phone, so you then need to move them back to the SD card. It's flipping annoying!
Also I'm pretty sure you can't move the whole app to the card, so it won't free up tons of space

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Be aware that after an update some of your apps will move back to the phone, so you then need to move them back to the SD card. It's flipping annoying!
Also I'm pretty sure you can't move the whole app to the card, so it won't free up tons of space

Your right, it won't save much space, but anything helps. There must of been people with loads of apps and games on their phones before the android 6.0 update who were well and truly pissed off. Marshmallow is badly thought out piece of software, that in my opinion offer no more than any previous version

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There must of been people with loads of apps and games on their phones
Just as there were many people with loads of programs and games on their laptops who ran out of hard drive space. You have what you buy and, if later on you discover that you need more space, you buy a device with more space. It's the same for desktops, laptops or phones. (At least on some desktops you can add a hard drive, but you can't on almost any laptop, and you can't really add storage to a phone. Which is one reason that a lot of people have to replace their phones every few years - apps keep getting larger, because the developers have larger phones on which to develop them. The days of a computer with a 128kb floppy disk as the main storage device is decades gone.)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
( The days of a computer with a 128kb floppy disk as the main storage device is decades gone.)

Weren't those the 7.25" floppies?

As for the OP, I am curious if Moto somehow didn't fully implement adoptable storage on some devices. I have seen more than one issue come up on several types.

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Just as there were many people with loads of programs and games on their laptops who ran out of hard drive space. You have what you buy and, if later on you discover that you need more space, you buy a device with more space. It's the same for desktops, laptops or phones. (At least on some desktops you can add a hard drive, but you can't on almost any laptop, and you can't really add storage to a phone. Which is one reason that a lot of people have to replace their phones every few years - apps keep getting larger, because the developers have larger phones on which to develop them. The days of a computer with a 128kb floppy disk as the main storage device is decades gone.)

I get your point, but android 6.0 was bad timing. There are far to many phones, including my G3, that have 8gb of storage. You only have to have a look around at what is being produced. I uphold that android 6.0 has a pointless adoptable storage system which is unnecessarily eating up loads of storage

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad