Major headache with new sdcard and apps2sd

Praedor1

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
I have a new 32gb card installed in my rooted Moto G 4LTE. I've tried using minitool partition manager, links2sd partition manager, and apps2sd partition manager to try and create 2 partitions on the card. First partition using just over half the space is fat32 (portable storage) and the second half I have tried as ext3 and ext4 with the same results each time. The phone recognizes the first partition and mounts it just fine but it ALWAYS thinks the second partition is "corrupted" even though it is just fine.

Apps2sd is currently successfully using the second partition to link apps to. It sees the partition just fine. The Minitool program also sees it just fine but my phone system insists it's corrupted but I cannot "fix" it because if I do, it wipes the entire card and insists on making it EITHER portable (fat32) OR internal (ext3). In other words, it thinks the second partition is corrupt and wants to fix it by wiping it out and forcing a single partition on me.

How do I get this annoying false error to disappear? Every reboot of the phone leads to a message about the partition being corrupted and needing fixing.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, stop trying to install apps to the SD card. Android is not designed for that. (Even in Marshmallow, it's a band-aid.) The SD card is made for file storage - songs, videos, documents, etc. Format the card as FAT32, store files on it and it should work.

Praedor1

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
It used to work fine. It certainly works fine on my rooted nook (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4). I HAVE to install apps to the sdcard because even with a fairly sparse install of apps I run out of system memory. I don't care if a developer doesn't want me to put it on my sdcard on my phone, I own the device and the apps will go where I need them to go so I can best use my device.

I'd be willing to dig into the system files and edit something if it will eliminate the FALSE system interpretation that it is corrupted. In any case, your argument isn't really valid. I can setup the new card as EITHER portable or as "internal". The entire purpose of the internal storage setting is to allow memory hog apps and data to be saved onto the sdcard as if it is internal memory. The ONLY reason that some apps don't allow you to move them there at the start is the developer doesn't want you to. Not a valid reason.

I can install the nook reader app, for instance, and it will allow me to install all my books onto the sdcard. The Kindle app, on the other hand, will not allow you to store YOUR books on YOUR sdcard because they fear piracy. There's nothing organic about the Kindle app that makes it impossible to store the books to the sdcard, just a stupid developer attempt to limit your use of your own books. Music apps and music are similar. If I go with the basic system and install just the bare bones of what I actually USE on my phone, then try to install a couple music apps with the music to go with it (in my case, not a huge number of songs, just those I like to listen to at the gym) I very quickly run out of system memory. So, I install apps2sd and move all of it to my sdcard so there's plenty of room for the base apps AND for my music. It is a must.

The most recent android itself has moved towards allowing integration of external memory into "internal" memory for this very reason: the problem of user memory running out very quickly for so many people. The fact that some (many) apps don't allow you to simply select to install to the card is purely a developer choice, not a system requirement for function.

Here's the biggest deal. My phone has 4GB of internal storage. The Android OS is using 3.47GB of that. See the problem? The OS itself is hogging 87% of my system memory before I add anything to the phone!

But thanks for the reply anyway. I'll stick with using MY device and MY apps as I want, and NEED, to use them.

Praedor1

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
Moto G 3rd Gen. I just re-set it to factory and re-rooted it. This time I used TWRP to partition/setup the sd card. First partition fat32, second is ext3. The fat32 portion is immediately accepted by the system but the ext3 part is simply seen as "new sdcard" and a request to set it up (which means wiping it and repartitioning it back to one big partition that is either portable storage or internal storage.

I need the portable fat32 part so I can easily transfer files back and forth via USB on my PC. I also need internal storage (ext3) so I can use it to extend the internal system memory. I suppose I could just give up and set it as 100% internal memory so apps2sd can do its thing and put what I want there but then I lose the ability to transfer files to/from my PC (unless I do it from linux(?). My nook (Galaxy Tab 4) accepts this partitioning scheme without hiccup but my moto g just wont deal with it. But it should.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude