text message app keeps sending out auto message - why?

wfriedwald

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
every time someone sends me a text, my app automatically sends them a text message:

"[Auto-Reply] I'm driving right now - I'll get back to you later."

I have no idea why it's doing that! How do I get it to stop?

thanks for any feedback!

w

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What app are you using for SMS/MMS?

Most of them have some sort of auto-reply capability. I'm sure that if you dig through the app's Settings you will find it.

wfriedwald

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
this is just the basic text message app that came pre-installed on the device.

I have found the overall settings for the device in general, but I'm so new to android (3 days or thereabouts) that I do not know how & where to find the settings for a specific app.

thanks again!

w

PS: my phone is a MOTO Z FORCE / verizon - brand new!

Last edited:

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
this is just the basic text message app that came pre-installed on the device.

I have found the overall settings for the device in general, but I'm so new to android (3 days or thereabouts) that I do not know how & where to find the settings for a specific app.

thanks again!

w

PS: my phone is a MOTO Z FORCE / verizon - brand new!

Try the 3 dots on the right upper corner of the screen in your app .You will get the app settings from there .

wfriedwald

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
ah! Yes!

I found those three dots last night -

the auto reply function was ALREADY turned off.

So I still have no idea why those auto messages would have been sent. BUT I turned them on and then off again, just to tell the system that they were supposed to be off...

we'll see if anyone tells me that they've received one of those weirdo messages again!

thanks!

W

PS: I wish that I could make that entire function / feature disappear - I have no use for it at all, since I don't drive.