Moto G (2nd generation) with 4G LTE fails to shut down

ChangeAgent

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
My Moto G (2nd generation) with 4G LTE fails to shut down when I push the power button. This happens intermittently. I push the button, it vibrates and that is it. I do not get the screen to confirm I want to turn it of.

Now I found on the web ways to force it to shut down but like to know if there is a permanent fix, or a special way to shut down this phone other than what I found on the web.

Thanks.

ChangeAgent

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
as I do not get the screen to confirm shut down, I can not boot in safe-mode. Or is there an other trick?

and do not forget the problem is intermittent.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, good point. On a lot of phones, you can also boot into Safe Mode by pressing and holding Vol Down during the boot process. Force a shutdown by pressing and holding Power for about 20 seconds (hopefully that works), then power on again, this time pressing and holding Vol Down as mentioned above. If successful, you should see Safe Mode in the lower left or right corner of the screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so boot back into normal mode (which means just power up again normally), and see if the problem comes back. If it does, then something you installed is causing that issue. The challenge is to figure out which app. If this only started recently, then start uninstalling your most recently installed or updated apps until the problem goes away.

ChangeAgent

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks.

I installed nothing before this started to happen. Have not loaded new Apps for a long time. I have loaded updates of Apps though. Could it be that? There again I have a second one of these with the same software installed and it does not have this problem. Software is up to date. Any other suggestions?

PS there what is the latest OS for this phone? Maybe it is that.

ChangeAgent

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I did that, followed the instructions in the link, get to the 'Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)', and do not get past it following the instructions.

Any other tricks to do this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Power and Vol Up button combo at that stage can be a little tricky. Press and hold Power, then press Vol Up, then release both.

One possibility here is that your Power button is faulty, which might be why you're having trouble getting the Power Off menu to show up, or to get to the Recovery Menu.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Also, in most Moto phones you can get into the recovery menu after the 'no command' screen if you hold the power button for 3-5 seconds and then press and release volume up.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Also if you use a case make sure it's not interfering with the buttons, try without the case see how button feel they can get sticky or stuck run a wet paper towel along it to free it up from any kind of build up.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not sure I understand that instruction. Where to find and how to do?
Go into phone settings , then scroll down to accessibility and tap , activate menu and return to the home screen should be a floating icon which you should be able to.open and access power off , recent apps ect..
No case, and buttons move freely. good tip though.
Your welcome ..sometimes it happens

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This is the screenshot of accessibility menu , can type assistant menu in the phone settings search bar to get there fasterScreenshot_20190909-022739_Accessibility.jpeg