Getting Lollipop on Cricket Moto G (LTE)

sporkman1

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Just signed up, phone arrives tomorrow...

My understanding is that these are bootloader locked. Is there any not terribly difficult way to get Lollipop on this thing? I'm new to Android and would like to start with the latest and greatest...

Googling didn't turn up too much - seems other carriers let you unlock via moto's site.

Surmisation

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
From what I've been able to discern, all answers point to maybe.

There are several models of Moto G (e.g. XT1033, XT1039, XT1045, XT1048)
The ATT LTE models (including Cricket) are the XT1045 variant.
These variants have permanently locked bootloaders.

Despite the locked bootloaders, official Motorola ROMs can be flashed through the stock Motorola recovery, custom ROMs like Cyanogen can't. There exist some discrepancies on whether other official ROMs, like the XT1039 will work flawlessy on the XT1045, or if they will break something like LTE, Bluetooth, GPS, or Wifi.

It will take several weeks, if not months for Cricket to green light the update. Furthermore, I anticipate ATT will precede Cricket in releasing the Lollipop update. So if you're feeling chancy, you could try flashing the ATT ROM when it becomes available.

As for me, I'm leaving it be unless Cricket confirms they'll be dropping support (unlikely IMO).

farook smart

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Just signed up, phone arrives tomorrow...

My understanding is that these are bootloader locked. Is there any not terribly difficult way to get Lollipop on this thing? I'm new to Android and would like to start with the latest and greatest...

Googling didn't turn up too much - seems other carriers let you unlock via moto's site.

Hebekiah

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm with AT&T (not spiritually), and I got android 5.1 yesterday. Jan 21, 2016! Woohoo! Yeah, forever but it's lovely and works great and it's like I've got a new phone (which is already true because I got my daughter's hand me down while she appropriated my "upgrade" Samsung S6 Active

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay