Caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time, what can be done to stop it?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
the hole at the bottom of my screen on the front of the phone (see attached picture) seems to have some effect covering/uncovering...but i assume that is the primary mic? not sure why it would make a difference while using speakerphone, since the same mic should be used. as for removing the case, tried it, no effect. both phones can cycle speaker on/off, no effect. also...i CANNOT locate any noise reduction settings anywhere in my phone, searching doesn't help, google search doesn't help. everything i find online tells me to click on settings options that DO NOT EXIST on my phone. anyone have experience on MY EXACT PHONE MODEL? motorola moto G7.

View attachment 321300
The noise cancellation mic is located at the top of the phone, number 1 on the screenshot.

Screenshot_20200606-183035.jpeg

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If you've only had the phone for 6 months, then you should be able to make a warranty claim to have it repaired.

ayoung101

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
If you've only had the phone for 6 months, then you should be able to make a warranty claim to have it repaired.

should be able to, yes. but they were very clear that any sign of physical damage completely voids the warranty, even if it is unrelated damage. and i dropped it and cracked the screen a while back (long before the echo problem started). the screen works perfectly, but is definitely cracked (even under the screen protector). i assume they will void the warranty for that and i would have to pay to fix the echo problem...which is crazy cuz it's only a $200 phone to begin with. i suppose it's worth a shot though...

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
should be able to, yes. but they were very clear that any sign of physical damage completely voids the warranty, even if it is unrelated damage. and i dropped it and cracked the screen a while back (long before the echo problem started). the screen works perfectly, but is definitely cracked (even under the screen protector). i assume they will void the warranty for that and i would have to pay to fix the echo problem...which is crazy cuz it's only a $200 phone to begin with. i suppose it's worth a shot though...
Is the crack located near the area where the microphone is? Unfortunately it's possible that the drop damaged the microphone even though the echo problem took several months to happen.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
As a long time Moto owner and someone that has used their repair services numerous times, they won't fix it for free in warranty if the screen is cracked.

ayoung101

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
As a long time Moto owner and someone that has used their repair services numerous times, they won't fix it for free in warranty if the screen is cracked.

yeah, i was worried about that. i wonder how much they will charge for the microphone repair. it's only a $200 phone to begin with...

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
yeah, i was worried about that. i wonder how much they will charge for the microphone repair. it's only a $200 phone to begin with...
The last three times I used Moto repair for a cracked screen it was $150. So if the phone is only worth around $200 that's a tough decision.

kbz1960

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I've had this problem with one friend. With different phones, both mine and my friends. I'm the one who always hears the echo. Doesn't matter if it's the ear piece or speaker phone.

Thought maybe when I got a new phone it would be solved. Nope. Thought when he got a new phone it would be solved. Nope.

Both on Verizon pre pay.

Never hear the echo with any other person. Only him.

ayoung101

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
The last three times I used Moto repair for a cracked screen it was $150. So if the phone is only worth around $200 that's a tough decision.

that's not a tough decision at all. i'd be stupid to pay $150 for any repair on a phone that costs $200 brand new. at that point, just get a new $200 phone, and this one becomes a wifi only device and/or a device for the kids to play with. i'm not worried about fixing the screen. i'm wondering what the microphone fix will cost, if it is worth it, and if they will actually be able to fix it. i'm worried that i'll choose to pay to fix the microphone, and then have it not be fixed, and then have to fight them for the cost after the fact.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
that's not a tough decision at all. i'd be stupid to pay $150 for any repair on a phone that costs $200 brand new. at that point, just get a new $200 phone, and this one becomes a wifi only device and/or a device for the kids to play with. i'm not worried about fixing the screen. i'm wondering what the microphone fix will cost, if it is worth it, and if they will actually be able to fix it. i'm worried that i'll choose to pay to fix the microphone, and then have it not be fixed, and then have to fight them for the cost after the fact.
In my experience with Moto repair, you have to answer a question about screen damage before you send it in for anything else. If you answer Yes, then you will have to pay for screen repair in addition to whatever else. If you answer No and they receive it and see that the screen is damaged they will just ship it right back to you unrepaired.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae