Caller hears echo of their own voice 100% of the time, what can be done to stop it?

ayoung101

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
hi all, i have a moto g7, have been using it for ~6 months now. recently, every single person i talk to on the phone complains about hearing their own voice as an echo about a half second after they say it. there is no echo on my side. i switched phones with my wife to see for myself, and sure enough, every single thing that is said is echoed exactly back into their ear piece. looking further, it ONLY happens during regular phone talking. it does not echo during bluetooth calls, it does not echo with a plugged in headset/earphones, it does not echo when on speakerphone. it only echoes during normal phone calls directly through the phone while not on speakerphone. for grins, i also tried to make phone calls through wi-fi apps like facebook messenger/what's app. there is no echo through those apps. it ONLY echoes during normal phone calls through my network (AT&T). my wife has the exact same phone that we got on the exact same day, and only i get the problem (it's not a signal or network problem since she has no problems from the same house/tower/age and model of phone). i have also tried it on different towers (my job is ~20 miles away from the house), and have the same problem.

i have already removed the protective case, re-started the phone multiple times, tried it in SAFE MODE, removed/reset the SIM card, and even did a full factory reset without re-installing any apps. i still have the problem. i was assuming it was a hardware issue, but then i would think that it should have the same problem when talking on wi-fi apps...but it doesn't. i am completely out of further ideas. please help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You're not using MotoSpeak, right? https://support.motorola.com/us/en/products/motospeak/documents/MS57352. If not, then look around your system settings or Phone app settings to see if there's an option for noise cancellation or noise reduction. If there is, play around with that a little bit.

Did you also try toggling wi-fi calling off or on (depending on what your usual default is), and also VoLTE (which can be called Advanced Calling, HD Voice, Enhanced LTE, and other impressive-sounding terms)?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
hi all, i have a moto g7, have been using it for ~6 months now. recently, every single person i talk to on the phone complains about hearing their own voice as an echo about a half second after they say it. there is no echo on my side. i switched phones with my wife to see for myself, and sure enough, every single thing that is said is echoed exactly back into their ear piece. looking further, it ONLY happens during regular phone talking. it does not echo during bluetooth calls, it does not echo with a plugged in headset/earphones, it does not echo when on speakerphone. it only echoes during normal phone calls directly through the phone while not on speakerphone. for grins, i also tried to make phone calls through wi-fi apps like facebook messenger/what's app. there is no echo through those apps. it ONLY echoes during normal phone calls through my network (AT&T). my wife has the exact same phone that we got on the exact same day, and only i get the problem (it's not a signal or network problem since she has no problems from the same house/tower/age and model of phone). i have also tried it on different towers (my job is ~20 miles away from the house), and have the same problem.

i have already removed the protective case, re-started the phone multiple times, tried it in SAFE MODE, removed/reset the SIM card, and even did a full factory reset without re-installing any apps. i still have the problem. i was assuming it was a hardware issue, but then i would think that it should have the same problem when talking on wi-fi apps...but it doesn't. i am completely out of further ideas. please help!
Welcome to the forums. Many times this kind of problem is related to call recording features, from the stock dialer or third party apps. All your troubleshooting has eliminated any possible conflict with a third party app so we can focus on the stock dialer.

You said that the problem started recently, maybe after a recent update for the Phone app? Try this, long press the Phone/Dialer icon, tap "i" (info), tap the three dots top right on the Phone screen and select "Uninstall Updates". Make a phone call straight away and see if it made any difference.

To avoid the app updating in the background make sure that the Auto update apps option is disabled in the Play Store.

Another thing to try could be setting the in-call volume lower.

Tell us how it goes.

ayoung101

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You're not using MotoSpeak, right? https://support.motorola.com/us/en/products/motospeak/documents/MS57352. If not, then look around your system settings or Phone app settings to see if there's an option for noise cancellation or noise reduction. If there is, play around with that a little bit.

Did you also try toggling wi-fi calling off or on (depending on what your usual default is), and also VoLTE (which can be called Advanced Calling, HD Voice, Enhanced LTE, and other impressive-sounding terms)?

no, using the standard phone app that came with the phone. i also tried 2 different apps from the play store, but the exhibit the same issue. i see no option in the phone app settings for noise cancellation/reduction. and i'm not sure how to do wi-fi calling through the normal phone app, to be honest. i can do wi-fi calling through facebook messenger/what's app/etc, but not normal phone calls with this phone model, as far as i'm aware (if i am wrong, please tell me how).

ayoung101

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Many times this kind of problem is related to call recording features, from the stock dialer or third party apps. All your troubleshooting has eliminated any possible conflict with a third party app so we can focus on the stock dialer.

You said that the problem started recently, maybe after a recent update for the Phone app? Try this, long press the Phone/Dialer icon, tap "i" (info), tap the three dots top right on the Phone screen and select "Uninstall Updates". Make a phone call straight away and see if it made any difference.

To avoid the app updating in the background make sure that the Auto update apps option is disabled in the Play Store.

Another thing to try could be setting the in-call volume lower.

Tell us how it goes.

tried it, still has the problem. :-(

ayoung101

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
The phone app setting correct not system setting?

i did both the phone app settings as well as the system settings. i went through every single option in the phone settings and there is nothing about noise reduction/cancellation. i also went through as many system settings as i could find and couldn't find anything about it either.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
i did both the phone app settings as well as the system settings. i went through every single option in the phone settings and there is nothing about noise reduction/cancellation. i also went through as many system settings as i could find and couldn't find anything about it either.
Your calls made through WiFi calling?

ayoung101

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
Your calls made through WiFi calling?

no echo when calling through wi-fi apps like facebook messenger/what's app. just through the normal phone network (AT&T in my case), and only when the phone is up to my ear. it doesn't echo when using speakerphone, wired headset, or blue tooth. and my wife's phone doesn't have the problem from the same location on the same cell tower with the same phone, so i don't believe it's an ATT problem either.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
no echo when calling through wi-fi apps like facebook messenger/what's app. just through the normal phone network (AT&T in my case), and only when the phone is up to my ear. it doesn't echo when using speakerphone, wired headset, or blue tooth. and my wife's phone doesn't have the problem from the same location on the same cell tower with the same phone, so i don't believe it's an ATT problem either.
Not wifi apps , in pull down notification panel toggle for it , is it off?20200606_160051.jpegScreenshot_20200606-155953_Wi-Fi%20Calling.jpeg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
no echo through the speakerphone, wired headset, or bluetooth. just while on the normal phone-to-ear phone call.
There's this old thread about the same issue. Everything indicates that there's a problem with the noise reduction mic, locate it and test covering it while on a call.

Are you using a case? For some people removing it signed the problem.

A weird workaround is the other person switching the speaker on & off.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/m...ther-end-phone-call-getting-echo-only-me.html

ayoung101

Jun 5, 2020
Visit site
There's this old thread about the same issue. Everything indicates that there's a problem with the noise reduction mic, locate it and test covering it while on a call.

Are you using a case? For some people removing it signed the problem.

A weird workaround is the other person switching the speaker on & off.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/m...ther-end-phone-call-getting-echo-only-me.html

the hole at the bottom of my screen on the front of the phone (see attached picture) seems to have some effect covering/uncovering...but i assume that is the primary mic? not sure why it would make a difference while using speakerphone, since the same mic should be used. as for removing the case, tried it, no effect. both phones can cycle speaker on/off, no effect. also...i CANNOT locate any noise reduction settings anywhere in my phone, searching doesn't help, google search doesn't help. everything i find online tells me to click on settings options that DO NOT EXIST on my phone. anyone have experience on MY EXACT PHONE MODEL? motorola moto G7.

speaker hole.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac