Old Moto-G4 can not charge.

OneNomad

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I pulled this thing out of the storage drawer after 5 or so years of inactivity. It charged fine and I installed few apps to test things and put it aside. It discharged and shut off. Now, few weeks later, I want to charge it again but as soon as I plug in the phone, it shows 0% battery as in charging screen and tries to turn on the device. I see battery at 1% and then I see the big Motorola logo for about 30 seconds then it shuts itself off and restarts the same sequence or 0% --> 1% --> Motorola Logo and keeps repeating it. Never charges anywhere beyond 1% and never able to start up the Android interface.

Any suggestions ?

OneNomad

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I agree sounds like the battery, is it the original?

Yes, it is the original...
Is there any way to power it up while connected to a charger, bypassing the charging part ?
On another note, is it normal for the battery to die this suddenly? About 4 weeks or so ago, when I charged it, it was able tomaintain charge on standby for a couple of days and I was able to use it on battery for 3-4 hours at a time.
Do the Lithium-Ion batteries die this suddenly ? I mean I am an electrical engineer but haven't been keeping up on battery characteristics. Yet, most battery technologies I know die much slower than that. I could understand if the last caherge was only viable for 30-45 minutes and today it is not charging at all, yeah, that might be a dead battery. But from 3-4 hours battery life to not being able to charge, sounds a tad too drastic.

OneNomad

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Well, I placed the phone face down after writing my initial post and left it there. After about an hour and 45 minutes later, it reached 39% charge and going.
Android version on this device is V4 I believe. So, I wouldn't expect it to differentiate between face up or down to decide starting up the phone or not. It is is puzzling, but in case you run into the issue, this might save your day one day.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, I placed the phone face down after writing my initial post and left it there. After about an hour and 45 minutes later, it reached 39% charge and going.
Android version on this device is V4 I believe. So, I wouldn't expect it to differentiate between face up or down to decide starting up the phone or not. It is is puzzling, but in case you run into the issue, this might save your day one day.
I would back up your account in case situation gets worse .

OneNomad

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I would back up your account in case situation gets worse .

I am not really worried about my account as it is logged in on my current Samsung S9+ and working fine. I just want to use this phone as IP webcam in my office to keep an eye on my 3 cats, especially the new kitten, so that I know what to protect better :) I am sick and tired of running to my office when the kitten knocks over a bunched up USB cable or alike. Obviously a cat tree is not entertainment enough for them. Go figure...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am not really worried about my account as it is logged in on my current Samsung S9+ and working fine. I just want to use this phone as IP webcam in my office to keep an eye on my 3 cats, especially the new kitten, so that I know what to protect better :) I am sick and tired of running to my office when the kitten knocks over a bunched up USB cable or alike. Obviously a cat tree is not entertainment enough for them. Go figure...
Ok gotcha

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure about the G4 but I replaced a screen on a G5 once and had to remove the battery to get to the screen. It was fairly simple. I would imagine a new battery for a G4 would be inexpensive and fairly easy to replace.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma