Updated to Android 11, VLC doesn't see files on external card now....

squall280

May 13, 2021
Visit site
Today I got notice of an android update and it was more or less pushed on me. Anyways after update few things have changed such as loss of screenshot feature from the power but learned how to do it now another way. What I can't figure out is that VLC shows that the microsd card is mounted and will even show many of the folders but its says they are empty which they are not. Other apps can detect that files are located on the device and I can even put the phone into file transfer mode which shows all the files.....but vlc doesn't seem them. Can anyone assist? There are probably other changes I haven't noticed yet but this one is most important and aggregating to me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! We've been seeing more and more of this kind of thing, which is likely due to Android 11's Scoped Storage: https://www.androidcentral.com/what-scoped-storage

I don't use VLC, so I can't be sure, but see if there's an option for VLC itself to create a folder on the SD card. Look in the VLC app's settings to see if there's an option to choose the SD card as the default storage location.

squall280

May 13, 2021
Visit site
Every app seems to not see some of the date on the card, but my app utorrent clearly sees where they have put the files and will play any video files in said file. i haven't taken out the sdcard and tested in my laptop yet but connecting to a computer via cord doesn;t show the folder. i am thinking its somehow locked out. i really think i should just backup my phone and factory reset and never update the 11 update.....but i need to resolve the issue with these files.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I would definitely Unmount the card and then remove it, then insert it into your PC so that you can at least back up that data just in case.