Stylus 5G security updates?

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got a brand new Stylus 5G (early August 2021) and it is on the April 2021 security patch. Is this the most current? I have tried checking for updates manually and it says this is most current.

This patch level
is so old it shows a red icon in the Android system security overview page.

I know Moto is pretty bad for updates but this seems unusually bad. Phone is the unlocked retail version.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Unusually bad is normal for Moto. If you pick Moto phones up on sale/clearance prices they are great phones for the money. But part of the reason they're midrange priced phones is because Moto saves money by not doing much updating.

Personally I'm a careful phone user, and don't require the latest os versions, so system and security updates don't matter to me.... but if you want to stay current with updates you need to buy another brand of phone. I also use pixels because I like the pure Android experience, you can get some great sales prices on last years models (or even this years), and get 2 to 3 years of rock solid os, feature drops, and clockwork like monthly security updates.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
thanks. I used Moto in the somewhat distant past and while they weren't the first with update they were close. seems that has changed and not for the better.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yep they have gotten worse unfortunately..... I've always liked Moto phones and still use them, but they have really cut back on their software support :-\

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
September 1, 2021. Moto releases update bringing security level to June 1. So 90 days behind. it's old enough that Google flags it in the Android system security status page as RED (out of date).

I guess Moto assumes we buyers of it's more affordable phones just dont care about security, and that if we did we would be buying a Pixel or Samsung.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
JR Raphael tracks how well manufacturers keep their phones updated: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3606708/android-11-upgrade-report-card.html?page=2. Moto has been terrible for a long time, unfortunately.:-\

Yeah - wow. Moto used to be the fastest with updates. Granted, that was when they were owned by Google, but still, they have gone from top of the pile to back of the pack. I'm sure someone at Lenovo's accounting department has figured out that it costs more to update phones than it is worth....and so they don't.

Kraig57

Mar 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm in the US and I just had a security update and a Google Play system update on 22 September for my Moto G Stylus 5G. The date listed for both updates is listed as August 1, 2021.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21