How can I record longer videos with my Moto g6?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm using my moto g6 for recording videos for YT. It has a 64G SD card (plenty of space), but it stops recording every 30 minutes. How can I make it record for a longer duration?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You're probably reaching the 4 GB filesize limit for videos. I don't think you can get around that. 4 GB is the filesize limit for FAT32, and even if the camera is saving to internal storage (which is ext4, and shouldn't have a 4 GB filesize limit), there will still be that limitation. I've never seen a definitive explanation for this, but the best I've read is that it's some sort of legacy code (perhaps to account for the possibility that a video may be saved to an SD card, even if the phone doesn't have an SD card slot).

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You're probably reaching the 4 GB filesize limit for videos. I don't think you can get around that. 4 GB is the filesize limit for FAT32, and even if the camera is saving to internal storage (which is ext4, and shouldn't have a 4 GB filesize limit), there will still be that limitation. I've never seen a definitive explanation for this, but the best I've read is that it's some sort of legacy code (perhaps to account for the possibility that a video may be saved to an SD card, even if the phone doesn't have an SD card slot).

It has to do with APIs and how Google set up Android, it's simply programmed to cut the video off at 4Gb. It was changed with Android 11 but requires the app have the updated API that allows it as well which is dependent on the developer to implement.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It has to do with APIs and how Google set up Android, it's simply programmed to cut the video off at 4Gb. It was changed with Android 11 but requires the app have the updated API that allows it as well which is dependent on the developer to implement.

Thanks for the info -- but do you think the reason for the 4 GB cutoff was a holdover for FAT32 formatted phones? (Did old phones ever have FAT32, or was it always ext4?) Or was it intended more for SD cards?