Moto G 16GB ordered

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My old Blackberry has seen better days and I have been looking around for ages that inspired me to change it. Tried a Blackberry Z10 - probably out of misguided brand loyalty. Not bad, but As I wanted to go Sim Free it was very expensive. An Iphone would be nice but ridiculously expensive Sim free. Starting hearing about new Nexus 5 being an amazing phone at a reasonable price. Seemed like a bargain looking at spec and only ?300 sim free. Couldn't find any in stock locally to try and then they were not even available to buy online so thought I'd leave it for now. Online reviews were good but battery life was poor which put me off completely.

Read about Moto G and I must admit it seemed too good to be true. Not as good in many ways as a Nexus 5 but less than half the price?! The more reviews I read the more I thought it would be ideal. Local Phones4u were great, I tried one out and really liked it. They had lots of 8GB in stock but no 16GB at all. Came home and ordered one online for 4th Dec delivery. Cost ?159 Sim free. No experience of Android ever but really looking forward to the freedom and app choice compared to blackberry. :cool:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Moto G certainly seems to be a great value, and it's almost hard to believe that it's described by many as "entry level." Give us an update on your experience with the phone after you've had some time to get used to it!

niic

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I also pre-ordered the 16GB version, and it will also be my first Android phone. Can't wait! :)

Sadly I have no idea when it will be delivered, as I think Motorola is doing a **** poor job of actually releasing this phone (or releasing information, for that matter). :(

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Will do.

Yes I am looking forward to the phone a few reports have called a 'Game Changer' in terms of cost/ spec:)

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Niic,
Yes delivery does seem poor at launch but it does create some profit for people on ebay! Stupid prices being paid for 8GB Moto G

niic

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
You're quite right ds34, and I hope that the prices the 8GB Moto G goes for on eBay are an indicator for how successful this phone will become: I really do hope this phone will become such a success that it will indeed be a game changer.
And having Motorola back in the game would be great too, but that's more for nostalgic reasons really. :)

smartiekins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've just ordered a new sim card from my provider and was hoping to pick one of these up on Monday. I'm happy to only have 8gb though so fingers crossed phones4u have some in!

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Its an even better deal now than when I saw them last week for 8GB - They were ?134.99 last week but website shows sim free for ?129.99! Snap up a bargain :)

I wonder how it will compare to your HTC one?

ds43

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I also pre-ordered the 16GB version, and it will also be my first Android phone. Can't wait! :)

Sadly I have no idea when it will be delivered, as I think Motorola is doing a **** poor job of actually releasing this phone (or releasing information, for that matter). :(

Just had a text to say my 16GB Moto G can be delivered tomorrow but I'm not about so changed the day to Wednesday. Phones4u delivery is much faster than 3rd Dec shown on website when I ordered it so very pleased. Just gutted I can't have it until Wednesday though :'(

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Got a 8gb version when it went on sale, phoned my nearest phones4u and they had them in stock.
I've had it for a few days now and I'm really impressed by it, the photographs and video on the internet don't do it justice...it's a very good looking phone. The curved edges where the front meets the back cover are beautifully designed, although the cover is plastic it's not your normal run of the mill phone plastic, it feels diferent, it's got a slight texture to it that adds to the premium feel of the phone. The only way I can describe it is the difference between the plastics you find in a low end Toyota compared to those in a high end BMW...both plastic, but one feels and looks higher quality.
Talking of the back cover, it's very difficult to get off, there are instructions with the phone on how to do it but it does require a lot of force and I was concerned I was going to break it...like most covers it does show up finger prints, but no more than any other phone.
The screen is amazing, I had it side by side with a Nexus 5 showing the same high res photograph and there was nothing between them...the colour casts were different with the Nexus being slightly yellow and the Moto G being slightly magenta. I'm a photographer so I'm used to looking at images and the blacks on the Moto G were better than those on the Nexus 5...I didn't compare video.
The Nexus 5 is a lot lighter in your hand, but it feels more plasticky...I think the extra weight of the Moto g adds to it's premium feel, the only parts that don't feek premium are the buttons which feel flimsy.
If you're thinking about buying a Moto G then go and look at it in real life, don't base your decision on pictures or spec sheets, unless you absolutely needed 4G I don't understand why anyone would choose a Nexus 5 over the Moto G.

bbnsol

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Picked up an 8Gb version in phones4u today. ?135 with a free extra back cover.
I've had all sorts of phones over the years buy must say I can't believe the quality of the handset at this price.

Really impressed with it. For me the only downside so far is the camera. It's probably best described as adequate!

Battery life seems immense in the first few hours. Really sips at the juice.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084