Help - how to sideload

t1234

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
As a newbie to android, I'm learning something new every day. Today discovered the term "sideloading" and I wonder if someone can post a simple FAQ on this. From what I understand,

1. in settings have to allow installation of apps from unknown sources, Check!
2. how do i download apk directly to Moto G? I have downloaded a few apps, eg ES File Explorer and File Manager.
3. also have android file transfer app installed on my MacBook....is it as easy as dragging apk from macbook to download folder, then open File Manager in Moto X?

Slightly OT - also found an app: ?Torrent. Can I somehow use this app to directly download apk?

Sorry for what might be silly question - coming from Apple iTunes and iOS, it was simple ;)

I'm kinda of stuck now....thanks!

Last edited:

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
.apk's can be found on sites other than the Google Play Store. You can either download from your phone with whatever browser you like. Usually, the .apk's are saved in the download file, which you can find in ES File Explorer. Then, tap the icon of the .apk, and it should install.

3. Not sure about question 3 as I don't use a Mac in conjunction with my Android. There are several ways. Airdroid is an easy web based way to transfer files from computer to phone and vice versa. Download the airdroid app from the Google Play Store. You'll have to create an Airdroid account. Then, go to web.airdroid.com on your browser. You'll have to login. Then, you should be able to wireless transfer files back and forth. There's also another way with ES File Explorer, too, but Airdroid may be easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2