Will there be any problems activating unlocked Moto G on Canadian carrier?

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So I'm planning to buy an unlocked us gsm moto g straight from Motorola for a friend here in Canada. I know in theory it is definitely compatible with the bell/virgin mobile hspa network, however what I don't know is whether or not they will agree to activate it for a prepaid plan.

I know that virgin allows yountp bring your own phone but I don't know if it has to be pre registered in their system for them to activate a Sim card for it.

I know that CDMA networks function like this but i don't know how it works with gsm phones.

I guess my question is: do you need to use the phone imei number to activate a new Sim card?

Does anyone in Canada have any insights on how the carrier set up the phone (eg. Were they aware that the moto g could be purchased as an unlocked model?)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Wireless Gadget

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will there be any problems activating unlocked moto g on Canadian carrier?

The moto g in Canada (telus/koodo) can be unlocked and used on another carrier (Rogers), I did and it works. Plus it cost $150. Unlocking it was $7. No complaints great phone.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung S3 mini

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

The moto g in Canada (telus/koodo) can be unlocked and used on another carrier (Rogers), I did and it works. Plus it cost $150. Unlocking it was $7. No complaints great phone.

Did rogers take it no questions asked? Or did you already have a Sim card from them.

I did some research and found that the phone identity doesn't matter as long as the imei isn't on the carrier's "reported stolen" list.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Wireless Gadget

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Yep, that too. I bought directly from Koodo and I had my own active SIM.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae