My UK Moto G has just updated to android version 4.4.2. So now what? :-D

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
My Tesco MotoG offered the update late last night.

What's new - really not that much - transparent status and nav bar and a new settings icon are the most obvious UI changes, new stock Email App along the lines of Gmail, new Dialer app, new Gallery app, ability to switch easily between stock and user installed launchers from Settings, printing from the device, some extra options in Developer Options including experimental ART runtime rather than Dalvik and 'Geeky stats about running processes' (great name for a settings entry). Repeatedly touch Build Number in About Phone to unhide Developer Options in Settings.

What's broken/annoying - user apps can't access app battery/cpu/wakelock stats without root anymore, doesn't seem to be native support for USB drives to be mounted via OTG - *sigh* - very bad to offer updates to drunk people on a Friday night!

Time will tell if performance & battery life is better/worse than the original 4.3.

Edit - improved Antutu benchmark - 17611, compared to 17200ish on 4.3.

No OTG no update for me. You could, by the way, repeatedly touch build number to unhide dev options in jellybean as well.

aspot72

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of installing ART to see how my phone and battery perform on it.

Anyone currently using it and care to comment?

Android Run Time: An Easy Hack To Make Your Phone Faster And Its Battery Last Longer - Forbes

Installing ART??? Well... You can't. It comes with 4.4.2 and replaces Dalvik (give option to chose btwn them). ART(Android RunTime)is not a application but process handler. If you have 4.4.2 KK on your phone I would suggest you use ART, battery increase is great and so is the phones behaviour (fast, no lags).

Before you do anything have read here to clarify things : Introducing ART | Android Developers

Caz42

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Installing ART??? Well... You can't. It comes with 4.4.2 and replaces Dalvik (give option to chose btwn them). ART(Android RunTime)is not a application but process handler. If you have 4.4.2 KK on your phone I would suggest you use ART, battery increase is great and so is the phones behaviour (fast, no lags).

Before you do anything have read here to clarify things : Introducing ART | Android Developers

What do you mean ''Well you can't ??

I'm well aware of what ART is, which is why I put a link in my post for people who were not aware of it, so why are you giving me a link to read?

aspot72

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you formulated your post incorrectly. You wrote "thinking of installing ART"... It's confusing, as it sounds like its some application ...

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

SeanM4

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys I just received an email from Motorola. Motorola are currently rolling out the 'soak' test for some devices in the UK. If you purchased your phone from this carriers listed below;

Tesco Mobile
o2
EE
Motorola (Retail)

Please find more details on the UK Motorola Software Updates page.

If your phone is listed with the carrier listed on Motorola's website you will receive an update to KitKat this month.

I also wan't to point out that the carriers themselves 'do not' roll or 'approve' this update through their networks. The update is rolled out by Motorola to the Moto G on the carriers listed above. If you have unlocked your phone to another carrier other than the one you bought the Moto G with you may or may not get the update.

I had this problem when I unlocked my phone the 3 mobile and put my Tesco sim back in and got the update a few hours later.

I hope this helps.

:)

aspot72

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys I just received an email from Motorola. Motorola are currently rolling out the 'soak' test for some devices in the UK. If you purchased your phone from this carriers listed below;

Tesco Mobile
o2
EE
Motorola (Retail)

Please find more details on the UK Motorola Software Updates page.

If your phone is listed with the carrier listed on Motorola's website you will receive an update to KitKat this month.

I also wan't to point out that the carriers themselves 'do not' roll or 'approve' this update through their networks. The update is rolled out by Motorola to the Moto G on the carriers listed above. If you have unlocked your phone to another carrier other than the one you bought the Moto G with you may or may not get the update.

I had this problem when I unlocked my phone the 3 mobile and put my Tesco sim back in and got the update a few hours later.

I hope this helps.

:)

I got mine as "device only" using Tesco SIM and already updated couple days ago...

aspot72

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyway. The thing is ART cannot be installed standalone as it is part of OS. It can be changed in Menu to replace Dalvik.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk