New Moto G user - needs basic help please

furkin

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks,

Not just a newbie to this site, but also a newbie to smart phones ? as will become apparent !

I'm in the UK, & just bought a Motorola G as an introduction to this system. It was on Jelly-Bean, but just been updated to Kit-Kat.
I am now disabled and don?t use a mobile phone much, though I do spend hours on my home computer.
Because my budget is limited, I now only use Pay As You Go on 02.
1) I need to find out what I pay for ? within my phone balance (data use) & what I have to pay for ? I guess WiFi.

I?ve obviously been playing with the phone, just to learn & get used to it. I was surprised when at 18:00 each day, I got a message from 02 saying that I could now use wifi till midnight & they had ?taken? ?1 from my balance !
a) As I was at home at the time, I assumed any usage was via my broadband. On top of that, I was annoyed that I was only eligible for Wifi from 18:00 till midnight !!

You may be aware, that the 02 ?Contact Us? button only directs us to F&Q?s ? but not a dedicated email address for specific questions. So after several goes on 02 chat-line - that were less than useless - I resorted to writing to the ceo of telefonika for help.
His assistant has explained a little about it, but I?m still struggling.

b) Memo: My son suggested that I use the Memo button to make notes ? but I can?t find one on this phone.
Can someone tell me where it might be, or where to get it please ?

c) SatNav: I tried using satnav, as its built into this model. Do I pay for that, or is it just down to satellite reception (similar to normal satnav) ?

I have recently seen that it isn?t working, with a message (para) ?No signal?. I have no idea if this means No satellite signal or No 02 phone system signal.

I was showing an old colleague how the terrific satellite images have taken the place of drawn maps etc, it did come up with my current position, so I guess it was picking up ?some? signal,,, until I tried to program it ? when nothing happened, so again ? I guess ? it was out of signal ! Any help please ?

Please feel free to offer any other help/advice you think might help me.

Thanks for reading this.

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

Not just a newbie to this site, but also a newbie to smart phones ? as will become apparent !

I'm in the UK, & just bought a Motorola G as an introduction to this system. It was on Jelly-Bean, but just been updated to Kit-Kat.
I am now disabled and don?t use a mobile phone much, though I do spend hours on my home computer.
1) I need to find out what I pay for ? within my phone balance (data use) & what I have to pay for ? I guess WiFi.

I?ve obviously been playing with the phone, just to learn & get used to it. I was surprised when at 18:00 each day, I got a message from 02 saying that I could now use wifi till midnight & they had ?taken? ?1 from my balance !
a) As I was at home at the time, I assumed any usage was via my broadband. On top of that, I was annoyed that I was only eligible for Wifi from 18:00 till midnight !!

You may be aware, that the 02 ?Contact Us? button only directs us to F&Q?s ? but not a dedicated email address for specific questions. So after several goes on 02 chat-line - that were less than useless - I resorted to writing to the ceo of telefonika for help.

b) Memo: My son suggested that I use the Memo button to make notes ? but I can?t find one on this phone.

c) SatNav: I tried using satnav, as its built into this model. Do I pay for that, or is it just down to satellite reception (similar to normal satnav) ?

I have recently seen that it isn?t working, with a message (para) ?No signal?. I have no idea if this means No satellite signal or No 02 phone system signal.

I was showing an old colleague how the terrific satellite images have taken the place of drawn maps etc, it did come up with my current position, so I guess it was picking up ?some? signal,,, until I tried to program it ? when nothing happened, so again ? I guess ? it was out of signal ! Any help please ?

Thanks for reading this.

A lot to go through there but let's have a go.

Memo - Google do an app called Keep that allows you to keep brief memos that can include photos and even recorded messages where you speak into the mic. You can just type your memos as a long string of text or create bullet point reminders. I think it comes installed on the phone but if not you can download it from the Play Store.

Satnav - Assuming you are talking about the Google Maps Navigation facility. You need to be a bit careful because you could easily start to use mobile data whilst using it and that would come out of your payg pot of money. It uses the inbuilt GPS to figure where you are whilst travelling around. This is how you should use it. Whilst you are connected to WiFi you should put in the destination of where you want to go to, by say, postcode. On the map that appears return to the search box and type in "OK maps" or you can also tap the mic and talk into it and say the same thing. This will then save the map on display to your phone. When you start your journey you can then start navigation and follow the route on the screen and follow voice commands and it will be using your cached map that you saved. If you do go off course though you will notice the voice commands will stop and depending on how far off course you go the map may also stop working as where you are may not be stored. So the only thing you can do is turn on your mobile data in order to get your voice commands and map working again. I always have mobile data on when I use maps but I also preload the maps as described in order to keep it to a minimum. If you want completely offline maps then Copilot is very good but costs about ?20 I think.

Your other comments about WiFi have got me stumped as I'm not sure what broadband package you have and where the message about the ?1 actually came to you, SMS, email etc.

Assuming you have broadband with WiFi at home you should be able to connect to it with your phone and simply use that for internet access. Just be careful about turning WiFi off and accidentally using your mobile data if you are on payg as it will get expensive quickly.

It is better to ask one question at a time in order to get that sorted before moving onto something else. A great place to start to learn how to use all the functions on your phone is the Help app that was called Moto Care in 4.3. Once in it, touch the very top left of the screen to get a list of tutorials, FAQ, hints and tips etc.

If you have questions after that come back and start a new thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I assume that you have a daily plan. so if you use Mobile data,sms or calls on a particular day they will charge you ?1 for that day

you can use wifi anytime you want and the carrier wont charge you anything but here is the thing.

if you disconnect from wifi your phone will automatically connect to Mobile data( and 02 will charge you).
To avoid this you will have to disable data manually and only enable when you need it.

Google maps(sat navigation) is totally free to use but you need mobile data to navigate

Google Keep is the memo app. don't know if your phone come with it default but you can search for the app in playstore

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

That's not a problem at all :) To be honest this is my first smartphone as well! I hardly change phones and have been using my last one for 4 years!

I'm in a similar boat as you are, and I recently went for 3 mobile. Got giffgaff (O2) but signals wern't that great and internet was slow (only 2g coverage in my area). 3 offers 3G internet, 3p per min calls, 2p per sms, 1p per MB of data, and yes its pay as you go.

Regarding finding out what you pay for data or wifi you need this: O2 | My O2 App
For general balance, this: How do?*I?*check my Pay & Go balance? | Support | O2
Still lost? Then this: O2 | Contact Us | Help, support and useful numbers

Are you on about this https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/my/faqs ? Is that the wifi you're using from o2?

You mean you're in the same situation as this: Does O2 charge me for connecting through wifi? - O2 Community

I use QuickOffice that came with the phone. Allows you to upload to googles cloud, you can write your notes in word file, open them on desktop later if you want. There is no Memo button. I saw one last time in 1999 on a panasonic mobile phone which had the brightest blue screen ever and impressed everyone.

I have never used it, nor do I plan to. But it normally connects through your wifi, or wifi's in surrounding areas. As a last resort it uses satellite. In any case it doesnt and shouldnt cost, I dont think so, but do confirm. I believe it works in similar manner to a car's satnav except it doesnt have an antenna to boost connection like a car's inbuilt one would.

Probably no satellite signal. Try it in the garden.

The garden.

Thanks for reading this.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I assume that you have a daily plan. so if you use Mobile data,sms or calls on a particular day they will charge you ?1 for that day

you can use wifi anytime you want and the carrier wont charge you anything but here is the thing.

if you disconnect from wifi your phone will automatically connect to Mobile data( and 02 will charge you).
To avoid this you will have to disable data manually and only enable when you need it.

[/FONT]
Yes I second that, I believe that's what happened. Disable mobile data in settings->data usage. Let only wifi be on.

Google maps(sat navigation) is totally free to use but you need mobile data to navigate

Dont think so. Go into settings -> location access. turn it on. uncheck second option that says "wifi and mobile network location", let first option about "gps satellites" be on.

Google Keep is the memo app. don't know if your phone come with it default but you can search for the app in playstore

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995