Moto G tip: maps without carrier plan

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you considering the Moto g as an accessory device? Do you want to use it for music and exercise and... Navigation? But you don't want a carrier plan

Go to the maps app. Zoom in on an area you will be traveling, and type in the search bar "Ok maps"

The area of the screen you are viewing will be cached for offline use.

Now you have a GPS for running (google tracks app) or navigation, and no data connection is necessary.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I dont think you can use turn by turn on google maps even if you have cached maps. It would still need data.

other features should work like you mentioned. Last time i checked it didn't work but maybe they have added this feature recently. i will try it out

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I dont think you can use turn by turn on google maps even if you have cached maps. It would still need data.

other features should work like you mentioned. Last time i checked it didn't work but maybe they have added this feature recently. i will try it out

Pretty sure I'm right. A garmin GPS doesn't need an Internet connection, and a phone shouldn't either, unless it needs to download maps, which, if cached, it doesn't.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure I'm right. A garmin GPS doesn't need an Internet connection, and a phone shouldn't either, unless it needs to download maps, which, if cached, it doesn't.
dont compare gramin with google maps.. I tried caching and navigating and it gave me network error.

Have you tried it?

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
dont compare gramin with google maps.. I tried caching and navigating and it gave me network error.

Have you tried it?

Offline navigation does work but there are a few gotchas that you have to be aware of.

Firstly you have to ensure that you search for your destination and cache the map (using ok maps as indicated) whilst you have internet connectivity.

Then you should ensure that you leave the maps app on the screen where you are about to hit the start navigation button with the suggested route visible. You can return to your home screen though and when you are about to start your journey and assuming you no longer have internet connectivity you can reload the maps app. As long as you are then taken back to where you can hit the start navigation button it will work. But if you try to search for your destination again, even though the map is cached, you have to have internet connectivity to do so.

Other things to be aware of is that although the whole map area is cached, only the route suggested initially is cached. So if you go off route you will be left without verbal and visual directions. You will just see the arrow on the map moving along the map. If you manage to rejoin the suggested route then it suddenly comes back to life. If you only go a bit off route then it sometimes gives you visual directions and if verbal directions continue then you will notice that you will lose street names and will simply get "turn left, turn right" etc. If you go further off route then it stops as mentioned previously.

I know all this because I've done it several times just to see what it could and couldn't do when offline.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Joy Mukherjee2

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
don't compare Google & Garmin

Google USE DATA FOR GETTING DIRECTIONS , after then Navigation is startded .

In case of Garmin or other SAT-NAVs or even Here(Nokia) , they all get directions OFFLINE , so no data is required.

The method is useful ONLY FOR NEARBY LOCATION , WHICH THE APP CAN EASILY DETECT(without data) , but that too rare:-\:-\

mohitt007

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Even I am a Moto G user and can locate myself anywhere on map using GPS and without internet(even on airplane mode).
But does it work on all phones???? I don't think it works on samsung and all. What is it to look in a phone specs which makes i possible to use the navigation possible without internet.????

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084