Novice Android user

Comerman

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks I'm relatively new to android so need a few questions answered please.
1. Emoji & group texts are not an option with kitkat at the moment so what's the best app to replace the stock sms?? I need one that text recipients DON'T need to have installed to get my texts.
2. My phone vibrates when powered on and off, motorola say it always did that but I think it just started after kitkat, can it be disabled?
I think that's it :D

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Novice android user

Welcome to Android Central :)
1. I think Textra should do the trick. You just need to install the emoji plug-in
2. Every phone has this. It can't be disabled :-\

Posted via Android Central App

Comerman

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

Cheers UJ95x, great forum. I installed textra + emoji which did the trick BUT when I enter emoji in a text thew show in the sent text etc but they are not visible on the text the recipient gets i.e only text wording is visible. Any ideas?

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Cheers UJ95x, great forum. I installed textra + emoji which did the trick BUT when I enter emoji in a text thew show in the sent text etc but they are not visible on the text the recipient gets i.e only text wording is visible. Any ideas?

Android does not natively support emoji below version 4.4. That means that if you send a message to someone who doesn't have KitKat they won't be able to see it.

Hope that helps you. You can instead however use smilies like : ) (with no space in between)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Above post got it perfectly :)
It'll only work if they have Kit Kat

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Android does not natively support emoji below version 4.4. That means that if you send a message to someone who doesn't have KitKat they won't be able to see it.

Hope that helps you. You can instead however use smilies like : ) (with no space in between)

Apologies for going slightly off topic, but yet another reason why I bitterly regret updating from JB

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Apologies for going slightly off topic, but yet another reason why I bitterly regret updating from JB

Why? Jellybean has no emoji support for receiving them. What I mean is you would be able to send them with a keyboard but nobody would be able to read them. You've gained the ability to receive emoji with kitkat.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Why? Jellybean has no emoji support for receiving them. What I mean is you would be able to send them with a keyboard but nobody would be able to read them. You've gained the ability to receive emoji with kitkat.

I did say I was going off topic and re-reading my post I should have stated that I was more referring to smilies in general.

Nearly all my friends are on iOS, but on KK when they add a smilie they no longer appear in picture form but in characters. I'm not personally that fussed about smilies in messaging, but it would be nice if they appeared in a form that I could at least understand! :)

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I did say I was going off topic and re-reading my post I should have stated that I was more referring to smilies in general.

Nearly all my friends are on iOS, but on KK when they add a smilie they no longer appear in picture form but in characters. I'm not personally that fussed about smilies in messaging, but it would be nice if they appeared in a form that I could at least understand! :)

Right. Im honestly not one to use smilies very much other than the basic ones and I would never use emoji. Just don't see the point :(

Comerman

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

Right. Im honestly not one to use smilies very much other than the basic ones and I would never use emoji. Just don't see the point :(

That's my issue here, I had those "ugly" green ones before KK and was happy enough but after KK I had a lovely big selection of smilies,flowers etc. BUT none will work. I need smilies or something to let people know when I'm joking :D

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

That's my issue here, I had those "ugly" green ones before KK and was happy enough but after KK I had a lovely big selection of smilies,flowers etc. BUT none will work. I need smilies or something to let people know when I'm joking :D

Hi Comerman,
You're right there is a problem with emoticons/emoji in KitKat Moto G. I don't think it's anything to do with the phone you're sending messages to, if you send yourself a text message( send your own number a text) with an emoticon it won't show up.
I don't know if it's a KitKat issue or just KitKat on Moto G issue...I'm sure somebody else posted about this, and they mentioned contacting Motorola who knew it was an issue and were working on a fix.
Sorry I can't be more helpful...convince your friends to install Whatsapp, lots of emoticons.

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Hi Comerman,
You're right there is a problem with emoticons/emoji in KitKat Moto G. I don't think it's anything to do with the phone you're sending messages to, if you send yourself a text message( send your own number a text) with an emoticon it won't show up.
I don't know if it's a KitKat issue or just KitKat on Moto G issue...I'm sure somebody else posted about this, and they mentioned contacting Motorola who knew it was an issue and were working on a fix.
Sorry I can't be more helpful...convince your friends to install Whatsapp, lots of emoticons.

It must be. A moto g issue then. I don't actually own one so I tried sending the emoticons and emoji to my own number on my KitKat nexus 4 and it worked like a charm. Not sure what is going on with motorola.

Comerman

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

It'll only work if they have Kit Kat

This seems to be the reason behind some text recipients not getting emoji sent in texts which I think is a bit ridiculous, not everyone has an up to date smartphone, Just give me back the ugly green ones I used before KK an they'll do.

MotoClive

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

I just tested mine by sending to my own Moto G and it works fine but only via Hangouts SMS service.