Made a mistake and bricked Moto G. Someone please help. I need it badly.

AkimaCliftone

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought and rooted a Moto G on Boost Mobile last week and yesterday I decided to attempt flashing Cyanogenmod 11. While in TWRP I wiped everything, thus being unable to flash anything. I searched the web and tried a number of things: pushing zip files, but when attempting to flash the ROM I received an error that data couldnt mount. I flashed CWM and tried again to no avail. Today I am wanting to try and use a video on YouTube I found to unbrick my phone using files from a user named RootJunky (Moto G Unbrick, Restore, Relock, & More - YouTube), but my bootloader is telling me my battery is low and <waiting for device> appears when trying to use RootJunky's unbrick solution. I also tried reflashing CWM only to receive the same <waiting for device> message. Is there anything I can do at this point, or do I need to buy a new phone?

Thanks for any help I'm given

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Here is the firmware for Moto G Boost Mobile: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

Extract it, look in the *.bat file and it should have all the fastboot commands to flash the phone to stock, I would recommend to edit a few things:
Change "SET fastboot=fastboot.exe" to:
SET fastboot=mfastboot.exe

Delete the line: %fastboot% erase userdata

Then make sure you place the mfastboot.exe in the same folder as the bat file. Make sure you have the correct ADB driver for the Moto G installed, download mfastboot.exe and Motorola drivers here.

Then boot the Moto G into bootloader menu and run the bat file, with luck it should flash the phone back to stock without errors.

If you get error, take a picture and ask at XDA forum. I don't have a Moto G so I can't help you further than this.

Last edited:

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Just based on knowledge of previous Android phones....I think the Boost Moto G has a locked bootloader. That might be the issue trying to use Root Junky's guide.

Its like a totally different animal with a locked vs unlocked bootloader. I need to read up some more at the usual root/ROM sites for more info. A few questions:

Did you unlock the bootloader at Moto's site?
Are you able to flash a custom recovery on the phone?
Can you charge the phone? Issues will happen trying to flash a ROM on a low battery. Having a decent battery level is usually the first step or should be in instructions on flashing ROMs.

I think if you have a custom recovery on the phone and can boot into it you should be fine. Thats usually the hardest part when issues happen. You might have to go back to an official stock version of Android and start from there...maybe a stock one thats already rooted.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Just based on knowledge of previous Android phones....I think the Boost Moto G has a locked bootloader. That might be the issue trying to use Root Junky's guide.
On my Moto X you don't need an unlocked bootloader to flash factory firmware, but you can't flash non-official images with a locked bootloader.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Guys, please be careful how you post. A quick reminder from the Community Rules and Guidelines:

P.U.P.P.A.H

(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you?re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you?re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don?t have anything nice to say, don?t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ?think before you post?.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members? problem.
Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums