Moto G or Moto X?

bwillard92

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I am completely happy with my iPhone 5C but I would like to get an android device to mess around with.

I have had an android in the past. From Fall 2011 to Spring 2012 I used an AT&T Avail that ran on 2.3 gingerbread and although it was good for the most part the phone was slow and unresponsive at times. Also every couple of days it froze causing me to have to take out the battery and put it back in. I eventually couldn't take it anymore and went back to carrying around a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. I did this until this past fall when I decided to get an iPhone 5C.

The iPhone is the best phone I have ever owned and works great with my macbook. I now want to give android another chance after seeing and reading how far android has come with Kit Kat. I have basically narrowed it down to the Moto G or the Moto X. I have done plenty of research and read reviews and I think either one would be a good choice. So basically can anyone tell me if my android experience would suffer if I chose the Moto G over the Moto X?

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
From what I hear, the Moto G is an awesome device especially for the price. I personally have an X and I love it. I just know that the X has a few features that the G doesn't. Active notifications and touchless control are a couple. Active Notifications is awesome. I use that feature more than I thought I would. I recommend the X to anyone wanting to try out an android experience. I believe that its one of the best phones out there. Especially because the stock UI on the Moto X is extremely similar to stock android. And stock android beats any other UI hands down. At least in my opinion.

If you want the G, I say go for it. But of you have the extra cash and pick up the X. I do think its worth the extra dollars.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Bryan Lucas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think it comes down to price. If the higher price of the X isn't a problem for you, get it. You're going to gett more ov everything, power, features, screen size, etc.

I would have gotten an X, but the price exceeded my budget. After two months I'm very happy with my G because it meets my needs well. My previous phones were an iPhone4 and a Galaxy SIII and my G is my favorite.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Go with the Moto X if you can afford it. It have some nifty features no other phones have currently. But the Moto G is not bad in term of the software, just don't expect anything from the camera.

gtanner00

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I know you said you have done lots of research, but have you thought about the nexus 5? For $350 it is a Mich more powerful phone than the moto x. The phone is a beast and the guaranteed android updates are a bonus. That being said, it runs completely stock android so you don't get some of the nice subtle features from the x or g. Also the build quality and design isn't up to the same level.

Just a thought. I can't say I own any of those three phones but I own the nexus 4 and love it to pieces. It has served me well and Android has come leaps and bounds from the days of gingerbread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

bwillard92

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I originally did think of the Nexus 5 but the moto maker seems quite interesting and I would love to design my own phone (royal blue back, black front and orange accents). Also until March 2nd I can get a Verizon no contract Moto X for $329 on motomaker.com. Right now I am leaning towards a Moto X but will sleep on it tonight and probably make a decision tomorrow.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I am completely happy with my iPhone 5C but I would like to get an android device to mess around with.

I have had an android in the past. From Fall 2011 to Spring 2012 I used an AT&T Avail that ran on 2.3 gingerbread and although it was good for the most part the phone was slow and unresponsive at times. Also every couple of days it froze causing me to have to take out the battery and put it back in. I eventually couldn't take it anymore and went back to carrying around a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. I did this until this past fall when I decided to get an iPhone 5C.

The iPhone is the best phone I have ever owned and works great with my macbook. I now want to give android another chance after seeing and reading how far android has come with Kit Kat. I have basically narrowed it down to the Moto G or the Moto X. I have done plenty of research and read reviews and I think either one would be a good choice. So basically can anyone tell me if my android experience would suffer if I chose the Moto G over the Moto X?
Welcome to Android Central :)
It wouldn't suffer, but as some have mentioned above, it doesn't have all of the cool features that make the Moto X awesome. I'd go for the X and customize it to my liking :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Have both a G and X in our household and both are great phones. Some differences that others haven't touched on yet are size. The G is quite a bit thicker and not as sleek as the X. The X just fits in the hand better. In our case, the X has stronger WiFi reception. They both are equal in cell signal. Screen technology is different. The X does blacks better, but the G is brighter. While people have mentioned the difference with active notifications, the G has it's own unique feature in the form of the optional flip cover case (highly recommended). It's really cool being able to turn the screen on and off by just closing or opening the cover. If you have any other questions just ask. I don't think you can go wrong with either phone.

Posted via Android Central App

bwillard92

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
The motomaker is enough reason to splurge on the Moto X. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that what if I don't like android. Could I just be feeling that the grass is greener on the other side? Anyone else own an iPhone and an Android phone? I just don 't want to customize a Moto X and then not like android all that much.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
The motomaker is enough reason to splurge on the Moto X. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that what if I don't like android. Could I just be feeling that the grass is greener on the other side? Anyone else own an iPhone and an Android phone? I just don 't want to customize a Moto X and then not like android all that much.

I use iOS too, so maybe I could speak to that. There are things you might not like. There are things you might. But in the end, only really you can answer that question. I guess I am a little confused, because you have posted both that you are totally happy with your iPhone, but then you are here on an Android site wondering if the grass is greener which doesn't sound like someone who is happy with their device! LOL

So, I have to ask what things you think you might not like? You said the phone you had was good for the most part, so I assume you are familiar with how Android is set up. But with either of the Moto phones, you won't have the freezing or unresponsiveness that you experienced before. So what other facts make you hesitant? If you list them I can take them one by one as see if the switch is a good fit for you or not.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Google now is awesome, and the moto g is the best mid range phone. If all you want to do is play ...it's well worth the $100 @Verizon. And right now, they are waiving the activation fee(35). Just picked up two for my parents and was quite impressed with build quality and screen. Definitely worth a c note. I didn't feel like it was too thick in my hand, it has a really nice feel to it.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I know you said you have done lots of research, but have you thought about the nexus 5? For $350 it is a Mich more powerful phone than the moto x. The phone is a beast and the guaranteed android updates are a bonus. That being said, it runs completely stock android so you don't get some of the nice subtle features from the x or g. Also the build quality and design isn't up to the same level.

Just a thought. I can't say I own any of those three phones but I own the nexus 4 and love it to pieces. It has served me well and Android has come leaps and bounds from the days of gingerbread.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think I would still go with the X. The design to me is a lot better than the Nexus 5. And the battery on the X murders the Nexus 5. I can go well over a day with mine with average use. The Moto X is also really really close to stock android.

bwillard92

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I use iOS too, so maybe I could speak to that. There are things you might not like. There are things you might. But in the end, only really you can answer that question. I guess I am a little confused, because you have posted both that you are totally happy with your iPhone, but then you are here on an Android site wondering if the grass is greener which doesn't sound like someone who is happy with their device! LOL

So, I have to ask what things you think you might not like? You said the phone you had was good for the most part, so I assume you are familiar with how Android is set up. But with either of the Moto phones, you won't have the freezing or unresponsiveness that you experienced before. So what other facts make you hesitant? If you list them I can take them one by one as see if the switch is a good fit for you or not.
The one thing that makes me hesitant about android is that people say it doesn't play nice with MacBooks and apple products in general. Can I use iTunes with android?

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Every time that I switched back to android from my android phone, I ended up going back to an iphone. But! I never had a stock or near stock android experience until the Moto X. After this phone, I don't see myself going back to an iphone. My biggest thing is that I got super bored with the iphone. They are great phones, do not get me wrong. Anyone who says that they're not, is crazy. Because they really are. They're just so damn locked down. But some people like this, because the whole "it just works" motto is true for most of the part. I'm assuming having a locked ecosystem helps with that, but I don't know.

Anyway, if you're curious in android. All I can say is, go for it. If you get a device like the Moto X or Nexus 5, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I would go for the X over the G and Nexus. But I'm sure with whatever you choose, you'll enjoy it. :)

Any other questions? Feel free to ask!

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
The one thing that makes me hesitant about android is that people say it doesn't play nice with MacBooks and apple products in general. Can I use iTunes with android?

I don't do it, but I have heard you can easily convert your music from iTunes to pop it right on your android device. Someone here will know more about it, but I do want to say yes. Yes you can.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

I don't know who these people are, but they are wrong. That's not true. I have a Mac that I use with my Moto X all the time. As for music, there are a number of ways to get music onto your device. You can use a program called Doubletwist https://www.doubletwist.com/ or you can do what I did and just sync your music to Google and then play it right on your device. It's easy. Although now I have mostly moved on from that and just use streaming music now.

bwillard92

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks GadgetGator for pointing out Doubletwist to me. That is basically what I was looking for. So I guess I must have been mistaken thinking that apple and android products don't play nice with each other. At least if I buy a Moto X and don't like android I can return it within 14 days of purchase.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks GadgetGator for pointing out Doubletwist to me. That is basically what I was looking for. So I guess I must have been mistaken thinking that apple and android products don't play nice with each other. At least if I buy a Moto X and don't like android I can return it within 14 days of purchase.

If any phone will make you like Android, it's the Moto X 😀

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Only reason I got a Moto G was because its cheaper and Boost had a deal. FM Radio is nice...I have missed that from my Droid X days.

When I plan on upgrading my cell phone service...I will be getting a Moto X. I Miss LTE. But...Moto G on T Mo or AT&T towers is alot faster than Sprint. After so many years being a CDMA fan...I recommend the GSM versions. The 3G speed difference alone is worth it.