Android Phone buying guide in reasonable budget

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Didn't know where to post this but I think it would be reasonable here,I currently own an iPhone 4s as my first ever smartphone,It is all good but I got bit bored of the

too much simplicity of it,So want to try android but my budget is extremely tight,and my choices are phones

which are not greater than 4.8''

Have Good battery life "especially" while surfing/using app like fb,twitter over wifi,having 6 7 stock apps opened in the background (like note,reminders calenders messages app and call app ETC,no web hungry/power hungry app,just stock apps to quickly navigate b/w them)...

A snapper equalling 4s's offering....cause I have really got used to its camera it is quite good....

Now here,there are NO Contracts,installments etc...moto g sells off contract on 270$,My choices are much much narrow (I am telling in my count...

1. A new moto G
2. A used 10/10 Optimus-G
3. Pantech/Xiaomi phones maybe (LOL) like Xiaomi redrice/Mi2s etc or pantech quadcores
4. Sony xperia M2 (IF THE PRICING is right)
5. Xperia SP (it is dual core so I AM REALLY REALLY hesitant about it,also i have heard it has some wifi issues?)
6. Acer Liquid E3 (IF the pricing is right)
7. Alcatel one touch Mini 2s (if the pricing is right)
8. Nexus 4 (though ,it has reportedly horrendous battery life [gsm arena],AND don't say to buy a nexus 5,cause it is out of my budget in my country)

Kindly Help me as I am all cluttered and really really confused,it is gonna be my first android experience so I am a noob yes..Also you are free to recommend phones of your own opinion...

P.S: sometimes i just feel waiting for wp 8.1 to come and buy a L920,or even a Z10 running 10.2.1 as a matter of fact..what about these random thoughts? LOL JK

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd lean very heavily on the Moto G or Nexus 4, and of the two my opinion is that the Moto G is a bit better pretty much across the board.

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
From all thoses
I would recommend the moto G, but if you need a great camera, go for the optimus G since the moto G camera cant be compared with the 4S
And i don't know why you say the moto g cost that high
It's: 8gb for 179$, 16gb 200$ on amazon, so its probably the best for that price :)

Posted via Android Central App

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
From all thoses
I would recommend the moto G, but if you need a great camera, go for the optimus G since the moto G camera cant be compared with the 4S
And i don't know why you say the moto g cost that high
It's: 8gb for 179$, 16gb 200$ on amazon, so its probably the best for that price :)

After my researching android phones under $399 I would suggest due to your budget that you get a Moto G.

I'd lean very heavily on the Moto G or Nexus 4, and of the two my opinion is that the Moto G is a bit better pretty much across the board.

Under 399? I totally choose the moto X, it's like 300$
Or maybe a nexus 5

Well thanks for the kind replies,to answer a few questions

1. I am from a 3rd world country so Moto-G's price is quite high here,about $250 for the 8gb version and $270 for 16gb...at launch the prices were $300....

2. I can't buy under $400 phones,under $300 would be a nice spot btw...

BTW folks I have recently found Xperia SP to be a viable option,THOUGH it is dual core and reportedly has some wifi issues,but still I am considering it cause it has almost

zero lag experience with multitasking ETC and it is a solid choice due to camera aswell...What about that? Optimus G or Xperia SP? OR maybe if i can help myself to compromise the camera,A moto G?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Of the options given, the Moto G is best by far. A great phone, and meets all of your requirements

Sent via Tapatalk

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
It does takes some decent shots
But the flash is not that strong
I've compared the front facing camera with my nexus 7 (2012) both in a bit of dark, and the nexus 7 is by far better
The rear one, its actually good for being a 5 mp camera

And I just checked the xperia SP and it has some beast specs
If you can afford the sp, go for it.
1.7 dual core ,1gb ram, 2300 mAh battery, 8 mp camera
And because its a sony device, I know it would be a solid device :)

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
It does takes some decent shots
But the flash is not that strong
I've compared the front facing camera with my nexus 7 (2012) both in a bit of dark, and the nexus 7 is by far better
The rear one, its actually good for being a 5 mp camera

And I just checked the xperia SP and it has some beast specs
If you can afford the sp, go for it.
1.7 dual core ,1gb ram, 2300 mAh battery, 8 mp camera
And because its a sony device, I know it would be a solid device :)

what's with that dual core vs quad-core factor in it? lag in multitasking? etc

P.S: :::

disclaimer: ok i know I can't have everything in that bugdet,and not even if I HAVE $1000 to spend but still it is a hunt :)

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site

disclaimer: ok i know I can't have everything in that bugdet,and not even if I HAVE $1000 to spend but still it is a hunt :)

Not really a big deal, see the moto x,dual core and yet, outstands a lot :) so don't worry

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Specs don't really matter, if the device's software isn't optimized. The Moto G has similar or better specs than the Xperia SP, but the software performance is likely a lot smoother because of the optimization of the software Motorola did.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Specs don't really matter, if the device's software isn't optimized. The Moto G has similar or better specs than the Xperia SP, but the software performance is likely a lot smoother because of the optimization of the software Motorola did.

Ok then Xperia SP it is,LASTly,wifi issues of xperia SP? I have heard quite a lot about it and amusingly my Wifi is actually at quite some distance from my room xD

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok then Xperia SP it is,LASTly,wifi issues of xperia SP? I have heard quite a lot about it and amusingly my Wifi is actually at quite some distance from my room xD

Sorry, should have been more clear in my last post. I was recommending the Moto G.
Better software and similar or better specs across the board. Don't think I've heard issues about WiFi with that one

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, should have been more clear in my last post. I was recommending the Moto G.
Better software and similar or better specs across the board. Don't think I've heard issues about WiFi with that one

ahan,actually I am shy to by Moto G because of the camera...As people here have quite facilitated me with the view that its Dual core is as much capable as Moto G's quadcore,Like Moto-X....so a good camera + decent battery life + lag-free multitasking experience in dual core is a win win deal xD

BTW i use to suspend apps in the background with my iphone,would do the same on android,suspending 5-6 stock apps in background like Messages,phone/contacts,Mail,Reminders,alarm,Notes etc...Will the SP lag or become slow?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
ahan,actually I am shy to by Moto G because of the camera...As people here have quite facilitated me with the view that its Dual core is as much capable as Moto G's quadcore,Like Moto-X....so a good camera + decent battery life + lag-free multitasking experience in dual core is a win win deal xD

BTW i use to suspend apps in the background with my iphone,would do the same on android,suspending 5-6 stock apps in background like Messages,phone/contacts,Mail,Reminders,alarm,Notes etc...Will the SP lag or become slow?

Not sure how the SP's camera is, but the Moto G should be better when it comes to battery life and software performance.
Android's built in task manager is fine, so there is no need to clear out the RAM. Again, I'm not sure how the SP performs, but the Moto G does not lag, even with multiple apps open.

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Not sure how the SP's camera is, but the Moto G should be better when it comes to battery life and software performance.
Android's built in task manager is fine, so there is no need to clear out the RAM. Again, I'm not sure how the SP performs, but the Moto G does not lag, even with multiple apps open.

Can't we install Stock 4.4 kitkat on SP by rooting?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Can't we install Stock 4.4 kitkat on SP by rooting?

Yes, that is possible with a custom ROM, but I believe there is a planned update to KK for the SP, and the Moto G is already on it. Either way, you could get a great phone with the latest Android version :D
Edit: Hmm, I just looked up the SP, and it's over $300 :eek:
At that price, you'd be much better off getting a Moto X or Nexus 5.

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that is possible with a custom ROM, but I believe there is a planned update to KK for the SP, and the Moto G is already on it. Either way, you could get a great phone with the latest Android version :D
Edit: Hmm, I just looked up the SP, and it's over $300 :eek:
At that price, you'd be much better off getting a Moto X or Nexus 5.

In my country Nexus 5 is as low as $400 and Moto X isn't even released,but with Intl. Warranty it is $550...And surprisingly SP is $270... so ;)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc