Should I buy the old or now one?

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I was going to pick up a Moto G as an 'outdoor' phone to take with me on long distance hikes and other places, just to make/receive calls and use Maps if I happen to get lost. It's a very inexpensive phone so I wouldn't have to worry TOO much if it gets damaged (vs my $600+ every day phone). Plus, it has respectable battery life and seems to have a decent amount of water resistance, even if it's not advertised as such.

However, I decided to wait and see if they announced a new one last week, and they indeed did. But they increased the size, which I really don't like. I'd rather have the more compact size of the old one. Is there any other improvements to this new one that will make it better than the old one for my purposes? (I don't care about the camera or speakers.) If it has a better display, is it easier to see outdoors in the sun?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It has an SD card slot which I bet alot of people are going to be happy about.
You can get the SD card slot with a Moto G LTE, which is the original Moto G with LTE added. In tests in the reviews I read, it gets the same or better runtime as the original "G".

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You get a slightly larger screen which I think make a big difference in enjoyment and easier to type, my big issue with the original Moto G and X was the keyboard keys were a tad small. And at the same time I think 5" is the perfect size and what I wish the new Moto X would had been.

The benefit of front stereo speakers can't be understated. You get an improved camera as well, the 5MP on the Moto G simply wasn't good enough and was the deal killer of the phone for me imo. For me, a decent camera for a smartphone is a must these day for the majority of consumers.

Even with out LTE, I still recommend the new one. For me, T-Mobile 3G is very good so I wouldn't mind missing LTE and you get the benefit of battery life. They will come out with an LTE version early next year anyway.

Also I think I like the design of the new one more, it seems sleeker and more reminiscing of the original Moto X.

destonic

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
If you are considering to buy for hiking and you have already main $600 phone, and if you don't care about the camera or speakers there is no point to choose between the new and old one. Take the old one as its display is smaller which surely works longer than new one (at least couple hours more)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If you are considering to buy for hiking and you have already main $600 phone, and if you don't care about the camera or speakers there is no point to choose between the new and old one. Take the old one as its display is smaller which surely works longer than new one (at least couple hours more)

Actually display tech has evolved nicely and both the new Moto displays use less power than the originals even tho they are larger.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I was going to pick up a Moto G as an 'outdoor' phone to take with me on long distance hikes and other places, just to make/receive calls and use Maps if I happen to get lost. It's a very inexpensive phone so I wouldn't have to worry TOO much if it gets damaged (vs my $600+ every day phone). Plus, it has respectable battery life and seems to have a decent amount of water resistance, even if it's not advertised as such.

However, I decided to wait and see if they announced a new one last week, and they indeed did. But they increased the size, which I really don't like. I'd rather have the more compact size of the old one. Is there any other improvements to this new one that will make it better than the old one for my purposes? (I don't care about the camera or speakers.) If it has a better display, is it easier to see outdoors in the sun?

The screen is Worse on new one.
But nothing Big ;)

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I just received mine today, I had watched a HD video, it looks fine for the 720P. Any how, I will update you guys back in couple of hours :)
By your "looks fine for the 720P," I'm guessing you got a new model "G?"

What I'm most curious about is battery life. The original "G" excelled in that respect. I'm going to assume the wireless and GPS performance are as good as the original.

I don't much care about the speakers. Or even the faster CPU. The bigger display might be nice for GPS navigation, tho, which is mainly my only reason for considering the newer one.

Intense Soul

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
yup exactly. The newest model of MOTO G. Tonight, i am going to play music continuously and I think just playing music can answer you well by tomorrow. Even continous instant Messaging also proves it. As the both old and new MOTO G are with same battery but the "Size" "Camera" "SD slot" are new features added.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
bigger screen lower pixel same 720P witch gives it a worse look ;) if you think am lying look it up ;)

Millions of people thought 720p was fine for 30" HDTVs for years I think anything 10" or less would look alot better than 30". Pointing out the difference from 4.5" to 5" is just being petty. Your talking a difference that only be seen with a microscope.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Millions of people thought 720p was fine for 30" HDTVs for years I think anything 10" or less would look alot better than 30". Pointing out the difference from 4.5" to 5" is just being petty. Your talking a difference that only be seen with a microscope.

No i like not seeing pixels 500ppi 1440x2550 is fine for a budget phone though.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I was going to pick up a Moto G as an 'outdoor' phone to take with me on long distance hikes and other places, just to make/receive calls and use Maps if I happen to get lost. ... it has respectable battery life ...
Well, the 2013 model did. Check it out:

Review: In its second generation, the Moto X becomes a true flagship

Scroll down to the "battery life" chart. The new and original Moto Gs are included.

A 28% drop in runtime? I think that answers my "new or old" question.