I know this sounds stupid, but i was trying to get an ota update on my rooted phone. I knew they used the stock recovery to do it so i flashed the stock recovery onto my phone. It shuts down, starts installing update, but after getting a third of the way through, it stops and reboots. Then a message comes up saying software update unsuccessful. Does this have anything to do with being rooted. I know this is a stupid question.
    06-13-2015 03:24 AM
    I know this sounds stupid, but i was trying to get an ota update on my rooted phone. I knew they used the stock recovery to do it so i flashed the stock recovery onto my phone. It shuts down, starts installing update, but after getting a third of the way through, it stops and reboots. Then a message comes up saying software update unsuccessful. Does this have anything to do with being rooted. I know this is a stupid question.
    Welcome to Android Central!

Yes the update sees that your phone is rooted therefore errors out. You would need to unroot the phone in order for the update to go through.
    06-15-2015 08:56 AM
    (I'm the guy that asked the question.)
    I did unroot as soon as I posted that, and the log file in cache came with some errors. It had some errors with the release key and something else saying that they didn't match. I'm assuming that it means I've got the wrong ones of what its trying to install, but it says the ones I should have have a 5.1 on the end (the version of android I'm trying to install,) whereas mine have a 4.4.4 (the version I'm on). I'm confused because I should have 4.4.4 on the end as I'm on KitKat trying to install Lollipop. It also said E:error in cache/Blur_Version (then digits.) I thought the Blur_Version is what the phone downloads when installing an OTA update.

I'm probably just going to put custom recovery back on, then flash stock ROM. Then I'll try again.

Thanks.
    06-19-2015 02:37 AM