Slow browsing download speed seems to be fine. How can I improve it?

Fellipe Miranda

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Slow browsing; download speed seems to be fine.

After my Arris TG862 router reset itself randomly a few days ago, my experience with browsing on my phone got a lot tougher. It already was a rough patch but now it seems like the phone is doing a Herculean job, taking minutes to open a simple browser page that on my PC or notebook takes less than 3 seconds. It also has problems loading images from Facebook, Instagram and Google Play apps, and it simply can't connect to apps like FIFA Ultimate Team.

I've tried almost everything, from calling tech support and having a technician in my house setting the network to what it should be before the restart to restoring my phone to factory state. Unfortunately, nothing work. I also tried disabling Ipv6, enabling DNS relay and DNS override - once again, to no avail.

It's even stranger considering that I just did a speed test on my phone while having my PC disconnected and the speed test showed no variation on download and upload speeds. Whenever I use my browser - of which I tried several, from Google Chrome to Opera Mini, all with roughly the same speed - the wi-fi arrows appear on my phone, but I can't say what's the browsing speed. I just know that the webpage I'm trying to access eventually opens but it takes an awful amount of time.

Speaking with my brother, he said he's been experiencing the same problems with the same apps on his phone - I have yet to try it with my mom's phone which is much older than ours, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's facing the same issue.

The few things I've found with people having the same issue had them solving the problem with acquiring a new modem/router - does anyone know if it really works? And if it does, what modem should I get?

Just so you know, I have a Motorola Moto G with Android 5.0. My brother is using a Samsung Galaxy SII with Android 4.2 (IIRC).

Thanks in advance! :)

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Slow browsing; download speed seems to be fine.

After my Arris TG862 router reset itself randomly a few days ago, my experience with browsing on my phone got a lot tougher. It already was a rough patch but now it seems like the phone is doing a Herculean job, taking minutes to open a simple browser page that on my PC or notebook takes less than 3 seconds. It also has problems loading images from Facebook, Instagram and Google Play apps, and it simply can't connect to apps like FIFA Ultimate Team.

I've tried almost everything, from calling tech support and having a technician in my house setting the network to what it should be before the restart to restoring my phone to factory state. Unfortunately, nothing work. I also tried disabling Ipv6, enabling DNS relay and DNS override - once again, to no avail.

It's even stranger considering that I just did a speed test on my phone while having my PC disconnected and the speed test showed no variation on download and upload speeds. Whenever I use my browser - of which I tried several, from Google Chrome to Opera Mini, all with roughly the same speed - the wi-fi arrows appear on my phone, but I can't say what's the browsing speed. I just know that the webpage I'm trying to access eventually opens but it takes an awful amount of time.

Speaking with my brother, he said he's been experiencing the same problems with the same apps on his phone - I have yet to try it with my mom's phone which is much older than ours, but I wouldn't be surprised if she's facing the same issue.

The few things I've found with people having the same issue had them solving the problem with acquiring a new modem/router - does anyone know if it really works? And if it does, what modem should I get?

Just so you know, I have a Motorola Moto G with Android 5.0. My brother is using a Samsung Galaxy SII with Android 4.2 (IIRC).

Thanks in advance! :)

Try turning the security off on your router and see what happens. The speed increases, start with the lowest layer of security and work your way up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance