Android 6.0 Marshmallow

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: moto g3 got marshmallow ..

I just got the update this morning myself. i believe it was around 650 Mb or so, but honestly, I was half asleep. I have the unlocked version straight from Motorola running on AT&T. It took about 5 min to download and about 15-20 minutes to set up. I haven't noticed any big changes except a slight change in the clock fonts and it did ask the options for how to use the SD card. I'll try to post more if I notice any else. I hope it helps.
The fonts are new, so is the dialer layout, and the setup menu has changed. Permissions are very different, go to Settings-Apps and press the configuration button (the gear in the upper right hand corner). SD card changed, if left as portable storage there are issues accessing it via USB for most users. If you use FB Messenger it will crash until you enable the "Draw over other apps" permission. Doze mode, Do Not Disturb, and volume adjustments are changed/added. The update is ~460MB though, if you got 650MB that is really weird.

Are you in the US? I've got an unlocked Moto G³ and haven't seen an update. Also using at&t

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto G³
Carrier is not relevant unless you have a carrier branded device (and you likely wouldn't on AT&T), updates come directly from Motorola. No official announcement has been made, although some people that are not beta/soak testers seem to be starting to getting the update today.

Official information is announced here: https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Android 6.0

how is 6.0 running and performing in the 1 GB model ? does it demand more RAM leaving less free memory ? I'm worried 6.0 isn't as smooth as 5.1.1 running in the 1 GB model, any experience with this ? I'm a "light" user, just basic apps, WhatsApp, Facebook, Chrome, Google Now, Gmail and some Youtube and that's all, rarely more than 2 of these apps open at the same time.

Cliff Woolfork

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

I bought mine at best buy. So it's unlocked as far as I know. Not from a carrier either. Just wondering how long the update takes to hit...

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto G³

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

Sometimes you get it faster if you have no sim in it. I swapped my sim for my moto x 2015 the day after the update came out and after powering on the phone update was immediately available. I refreshed the check update a few times and nothing.

Posted via the Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Motorola updates are in batches based on IMEI number... They allow certain pools of numbers to get the update, then after a while they add more, and continue until all IMEI numbers are allowed in the OTA servers.

There is nothing you can do to speed the process, and your carrier or connectivity is not relevant on unlocked, retail versions.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

In the North East USA. My unlocked Moto G 2015 was purchased from Moto and running on Tmobile sim. No update to date yet.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

In the North East USA. My unlocked Moto G 2015 was purchased from Moto and running on Tmobile sim. No update to date yet.

There is no official word that the update is rolling out yet, there have been some articles claiming that some people have gotten it, but nothing from Motorola. There was a soak test that started last week so I doubt it would start rolling out yet. Even if it was, your carrier is irrelevant unless you have a branded model, the updates come directly from Motorola for all unlocked retail phones

Sabeer Sulaiman

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site

When is android m coming to g3... And with what all moto customisations and moto apps

The factory firmwares are released, you can get them from xda. The ota will be coming in soon too. If you can't wait you can still download the firmware and flash manually.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Actually, the only official factory firmware available for the Moto G is for Marshmallow is for the XT1557 (Turbo Edition - Asia Retail)

The articles stating that an "official" release of Android 6.0 for the Moto G is happening (in the US anyways) are wrong... and some other regions started seeing the update but that seems to have stopped as of 12/24~12/25.

There is still a major issue with USB connectivity to the SD card when it is configured as Portable Storage (the default, Lollipop behavior). Motorola has most likely pulled the update until this can be corrected.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Does 6.0 finally allow the 2015 Moto G to do voice calls on 4G LTE on Tmobile?

Not sure if people are aware of this issue, but the 2015 Moto G on 5.x.x cannot receive or make phone calls while on LTE. It has to switch to 3G. This is due to lack of VoLTE certification. There's more to it, but that's the gist.

Marshmallow is supposed to fix this issue for the Moto X Pure; I'm wondering if it fixes the issue for the unlocked 2015 Moto G as well?

Would appreciate if anyone who has the update and is on Tmobile can verify. Thanks!

anon(8627824)

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

The TMo LTE issue is a major issue. The only way to get consistent working voice calls is to turn off LTE and run on 3g.

The update needs to happen soon!

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Does 6.0 finally allow the 2015 Moto G to do voice calls on 4G LTE on Tmobile?

Not sure if people are aware of this issue, but the 2015 Moto G on 5.x.x cannot receive or make phone calls while on LTE. It has to switch to 3G. This is due to lack of VoLTE certification. There's more to it, but that's the gist.

Marshmallow is supposed to fix this issue for the Moto X Pure; I'm wondering if it fixes the issue for the unlocked 2015 Moto G as well?

Would appreciate if anyone who has the update and is on Tmobile can verify. Thanks!

I just checked, it still jumps to 3G when making a call.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

The TMo LTE issue is a major issue. The only way to get consistent working voice calls is to turn off LTE and run on 3g.

When I have at least 1 bar LTE on my G, my calls always go through. I've never had issues making a call on LTE on T-Mo with my G. Does your phone not switch properly?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I just checked, it still jumps to 3G when making a call.

Thanks for your response. A few follow up questions...

It switches to 3G automatically? Like... if you receive a phone call, it'll auto switch to 3G so you can talk, and then it'll switch back to 4G after the call is done?

And this is only after the Marshmallow update? I have a Moto G running on Tmobile and right now, on 5.1.1, it cannot make calls or receive unless I manually switch to 3G.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Using LTE on T-mobile will not happen... The Moto G does NOT support VoLTE, and although the hardware supports Band 12 LTE, T-mobile had Motorola remove it.

If you wanted VoLTE, you should have bought a different phone.

Mine automatically switches from LTE to 3G and back... On 5.1.1 and 6.0

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Using LTE on T-mobile will not happen... The Moto G does NOT support VoLTE, and although the hardware supports Band 12 LTE, T-mobile had Motorola remove it.

If you wanted VoLTE, you should have bought a different phone.

Mine automatically switches from LTE to 3G and back... On 5.1.1 and 6.0

Ah i see.

How come my moto g on T-Mobile doesn't know how to switch back and forth when calls come in? Can you show me if there is a setting?

BW

May 14, 2010
Visit site

How big was the Doze mode effect with battery life? Also does this version of Marshmallow have Wi-Fi calling?

Also, are you saying that leaving the SIM card out has no effect on the speed of the update?

The fonts are new, so is the dialer layout, and the setup menu has changed. Permissions are very different, go to Settings-Apps and press the configuration button (the gear in the upper right hand corner). SD card changed, if left as portable storage there are issues accessing it via USB for most users. If you use FB Messenger it will crash until you enable the "Draw over other apps" permission. Doze mode, Do Not Disturb, and volume adjustments are changed/added. The update is ~460MB though, if you got 650MB that is really weird.

Carrier is not relevant unless you have a carrier branded device (and you likely wouldn't on AT&T), updates come directly from Motorola. No official announcement has been made, although some people that are not beta/soak testers seem to be starting to getting the update today.

Official information is announced here: https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Also, while I don't see this issue you are asking about, I know I'm not getting the best T-Mo coverage with the Moto G. This has been confirmed with a phone purchased through T-Mo recently. The Moto G does not support all the bands T-Mo uses. On the phone bought thru T-Mo (LG G4), I'm getting strong/useful signal in some areas where my Moto G is almost useless. I'm seriously thinking of switching phones cause of it.