Android 6.0 Marshmallow

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android 6.0

Ah i see.

How come my moto g on T-Mobile doesn't know how to switch back and forth when calls come in? Can you show me if there is a setting?
I don't believe there is a magic setting for this, my network mode is just LTE (Recommended) and it works beautifully, the switch takes only a second or two.

How big was the Doze mode effect with battery life? Also does this version of Marshmallow have Wi-Fi calling?

Also, are you saying that leaving the SIM card out has no effect on the speed of the update?
Doze mode only has an effect if the conditions are correct... The phone has to be idle and not moving for a while, like sitting on the nightstand overnight, if the conditions are correct I see battery drain reduced by about 1/4 to 1/3, normally 2-3%/hr now between 1% and 2%/hr. That being said, they changed something in the kernel which increased screen brightness, vividness, and sharpness, the screen on battery drain has increased a little but the tradeoff seems worth it.

The Moto G does NOT support VoLTE or WiFi calling, on Lollipop or Marshmallow or Nougat or whatever stock rom, never will... Motorola has stated that.
uploadfromtaptalk1451479557486.JPG

And yes, that is exactly what I meant, having a SIM in has zero effect on update speed, as long as you have an unlocked, retail version the update comes direct from Motorola and the carrier has nothing to do with it. The phones "pings" the Motorola OTA servers roughly every 4 hours and queries your IMEI number, if it's in the pool for an update you get a notification to accept or defer the update. Nothing you can do on your end to speed up or slow down the process like a Nexus device or carrier branded phone.

Also, while I don't see this issue you are asking about, I know I'm not getting the best T-Mo coverage with the Moto G. This has been confirmed with a phone purchased through T-Mo recently. The Moto G does not support all the bands T-Mo uses. On the phone bought thru T-Mo (LG G4), I'm getting strong/useful signal in some areas where my Moto G is almost useless. I'm seriously thinking of switching phones cause of it.
LG G4 supports Band 12 LTE, VoLTE, and WiFi calling, the Moto G does NOT support any of these features, it's like comparing a Toyota to a BMW. The LG G4 also costs 2-3 times as much as the Moto G... and you get more for money.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

my carrier in Spain (Movistar) has HD Voice calling (free service) when devices are in regular 3G network mode, I've been testing it against the VoLTE service using LG G4 + Vodafone and the difference is unnoticeable compared to Moto G 2015 + 3G Movistar HD Voice (if there's a difference at all), so if your carrier really wants you can have HD voice over 3G without needing to purchase an expensive device. Also voice calls drain less battery in 3G HD Voice than in 4G VoLTE, but this might be the LG G4 I tested.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

my carrier in Spain (Movistar) has HD Voice calling (free service) when devices are in regular 3G network mode, I've been testing it against the VoLTE service using LG G4 + Vodafone and the difference is unnoticeable compared to Moto G 2015 + 3G Movistar HD Voice (if there's a difference at all), so if your carrier really wants you can have HD voice over 3G without needing to purchase an expensive device. Also voice calls drain less battery in 3G HD Voice than in 4G VoLTE, but this might be the LG G4 I tested.
I don't think anyone here is complaining about the quality of T-Mobile's voice service, but the strength of the signal and how it penetrates a structure. T-Mobile has notoriously poor signal strength compared to AT&T or Verizon due to it's most common frequency spectrum uses, that is why most people want Band 12 LTE (it carries and penetrates much better) and VoLTE is supported with Band 12 LTE by T-Mobile as well.

Understanding how cellular and VoIP networks function, I find it interesting that Movistar is getting HD voice over 3G without special device support... what codec does it use, how is it implemented, and how do you know you were getting HD voice on these devices in a 3G environment? (I googled, didn't really find a technical answer)

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

LG G4 supports Band 12 LTE, VoLTE, and WiFi calling, the Moto G does NOT support any of these features, it's like comparing a Toyota to a BMW. The LG G4 also costs 2-3 times as much as the Moto G... and you get more for money.

I understand completely. But to my understanding, I could've picked a cheap LG/Samsung phone from T-Mo and would have gotten the same results. And trust me, I'd rather have the G than just about any other non-Moto phone.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Why is my Moto G the only one that doesn't automatically switch to 3G when a call comes in or when I'm trying to make a call? I'm on Tmobile, with LTE enabled. It should just do it automatically...

I have to manually switch it.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Why is my Moto G the only one that doesn't automatically switch to 3G when a call comes in or when I'm trying to make a call? I'm on Tmobile, with LTE enabled. It should just do it automatically...

I have to manually switch it.
Pretty sure this works fine for most people... Install LTE Discovery from play store and tell me what band you are currently connected, and what the signal strength is on LTE and 3G please.

I haven't seen this problem since early roms on the Nexus 4

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Re: moto g3 got marshmallow ..

Actually, the only official factory firmware available for the Moto G is for Marshmallow is for the XT1557 (Turbo Edition - Asia Retail)

The articles stating that an "official" release of Android 6.0 for the Moto G is happening (in the US anyways) are wrong... and some other regions started seeing the update but that seems to have stopped as of 12/24~12/25.

There is still a major issue with USB connectivity to the SD card when it is configured as Portable Storage (the default, Lollipop behavior). Motorola has most likely pulled the update until this can be corrected.

Who has confirmed those rumours are false? Is there any official confirmation of the falsity of those claims?

Posted via the Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Who has confirmed those rumours are false? Is there any official confirmation of the falsity of those claims?

Look, I am not trying to argue here... there was never an official announcement that the upgrade had begun, so of course there is no official confirmation that the upgrade has stopped. In all the forums I frequent, other than soak testers (who got it on the 13th or 22nd) a few people got it on the 24th, then after that no one did or has since.

The soak testers found a serious problem... probably why the upgrade was stopped, but there is no official information since Dec 15th from David Schuster which was were most of the "official" information was coming from. https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts

In fact, there has been NO official information for some time... even the Motorola people are not talking in the soak test forums. It would frankly be quite odd if it wasn't for the holidays going on right now. Hopefully we hear something next week.

Motorola India had announced a day or two ago the upgrade was beginning (India model specific we are assuming), but virtually no one has seen it yet.

The

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site

Look, I am not trying to argue here... there was never an official announcement that the upgrade had begun, so of course there is no official confirmation that the upgrade has stopped. In all the forums I frequent, other than soak testers (who got it on the 13th or 22nd) a few people got it on the 24th, then after that no one did or has since.

The soak testers found a serious problem... probably why the upgrade was stopped, but there is no official information since Dec 15th from David Schuster which was were most of the "official" information was coming from. https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts

In fact, there has been NO official information for some time... even the Motorola people are not talking in the soak test forums. It would frankly be quite odd if it wasn't for the holidays going on right now. Hopefully we hear something next week.

Motorola India had announced a day or two ago the upgrade was beginning (India model specific we are assuming), but virtually no one has seen it yet.

The

Too bad. Its like they are completely ignoring us. Not as badly as the E 2015 though.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Too bad. Its like they are completely ignoring us. Not as badly as the E 2015 though.

I don't think they are ignoring us. I just find it weird that they started a soak test on the 23rd and kind of left the forums untouched since. Why begin a soak test right before Christmas and New Years? All I can tell you is acejavelin is correct, the update is not official. The current soak test has not been officially finalized yet. From previous experience from soak tests, you are completely aware when it is done. This time not so much. I also let the AC writer aware of this when the AC article was released but obviously didn't care or believe me. As of right now, I would sit and be patient. It's coming.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"Best Buy" version should be the same as all other US GSM Moto Gs.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Last edited:

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site

Aw. I have the XT1541. This wait isn't as bad as for my Galaxy S3 to get to KitKat. Which it never officially did.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Understanding how cellular and VoIP networks function, I find it interesting that Movistar is getting HD voice over 3G without special device support... what codec does it use, how is it implemented, and how do you know you were getting HD voice on these devices in a 3G environment? (I googled, didn't really find a technical answer)

Not only Movistar but also Vodafone in Spain long support HD calls over 3G network. Let's see, human voice frequency ranges from 80 - 14.000 Hz, but most 3G networks only operate in 300 - 3400 Hz range. Movistar and Vodafone upgraded their 3G networks to operate in the range of 50 - 7000 Hz, achieving a much better, cristal clear, accurate voice quality. Apart from upgrading the network the compression codecs were also upgraded to a tweaked AMR-WB codec and, on top of that, the number of samples processed before the sound is transmitted has been multiplied. You only need a device with 3G support (duh...) and capable to properly "render" sounds in the 50-7000 Hz range.

Here you have an example of a voice call using normal 3G then 3G HD, "listen" for yourself (HD voice over 3G is 1:23 onwards)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2diKrjb726I

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia