Android 6.0 Marshmallow

sacrdandprofne

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Lol... 2% usage doing nothing isn't saying much. Show us your stats when you have 2% remaining, that might tell a different story. .

That may take a while at this rate. 😉
27ff12b58c1b2a66485b8d416aa66a40.jpg

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
this is my experience after upgrading to Marshmallow

1- Option to move shortcuts items from the pull-down menu around

2- There's a new memory management option showing footprint statistics for each running app
... but you can't see realtime usage anymore, to me it's more important to check how much memory an app uses in a certain scenario.

3- Apps can be allowed and denied permissions now
...but most of them won't work as intended or even crash / freeze when certain permissions are blocked, this is not specified and you'd have to guess

4- "Do not disturb" mode has a couple new options such as "do not disturb until next alarm triggers"
...but this is not new as you could set 5.1.1 DND mode to match the time until your next alarm

5- You can format your SD card as internal storage now
...but the total amount of storage would be the SD card size, it's not internal + SD, it's SD storage only.
...and the phone becomes sluggish (even with a class 10 UHS-1 SD card), it's way better to just use the original internal storage, really not worth it.
...and you can't access SD content from a computer anymore, even if it's formatted as external storage and not internal
...and certain apps such as Google Play Music won't recognize/download to the SD card anymore

6- Native file system explorer
...but as stated above, exploring your phone's content from a computer was way faster and you could copy files directly into your phone from a PC, you need a third party app such as "Airdroid" now.

6- Doze is implemented to improve battery time
...but the new firmware adds battery drainage and the phone now drains the battery way faster compared to 5.1.1

7- Some apps seem to perform better but just marginally
...too little, not the jump I was expecting, maybe this is apparent in devices with better specs.

8- Google Now on Tap
...but it's only working in English collecting data from US sites and webs mostly so as of today useless for the rest of the world.

additional bugs and glitches

-after the phone has been locked for some time (10+ minutes or so), after unlocking it there's some lag and sluggish performance for some seconds until it becomes smooth again, could be related to Doze

-WiFi would disconnect for no reason every few hours (and automatically reconnect)

-some apps seem to perform worse (maybe not optimized for Marshmallow)

Deal breakers

- Moto assistant removed, I used that feature a lot to let the phone help me setting a lot of stuff

- SD content locked from computer via USB, cant cut/copy/move data from or to computer anymore, I used to move *big* 1080p videos from SD card to computer, re-encode to 720p there and put on SD card again. Also upload movies and music to SD Card, watch internal storage for "orphan" directories and general maintenance... not anymore, sorry but this is unacceptable, why going backwards like this ?

you can use a third-party tool such as "Airdroid" but the speed is like 100 times slower compared to USB connection and it's another running service in your phone + advertisements + unwanted stuff

- Battery drainage, it seems a factory reset would fix it, why is there no information about it when you're upgrading ? why bothering re-installing all your stuff again when 5.1.1 was flawless ?

- Performance enhancements just marginal if any, by the time apps optimized for M perform way better than those on 5.1.1 we all will have a new phone.

- Certain apps, specially Google Music, can't seem to detect SD card now, so SD card becomes almost exclusively to store videos and photos from the camera but you can't move them to PC unless you use a dedicated app as stated above, even some apps that used to store data on SD card won't do it now, it's like it became invisible to them, guess this could be fixed with time.

- I have some expensive Sennheiser earphones with a mic and a button to trigger some actions (skip and pause music, accept / reject calls, run Google Now...) and it worked flawlessly on 5.1.1, now the mic for voice calls and button won't work on Marshmallow, why ?

all in all, DISAPPOINTMENT, rolling back to 5.1.1 as we speak, I trusted Motorola / Lenovo to offer a certain degree of quality control when delivering their updates but failed miserably, I can see a lot of non-savvy users scratching their heads and returning phones after "upgrading" to Marshmallow, it's a RUSHED upgrade full of bugs, glitches and removed features.

One of the reasons I went with Motorola was the stock Android experience and the guaranteed OS upgrades, but this Marshmallow upgrade is absolutely intolerable, maybe a factory reset and a ton of fiddling and tweaking and waiting for fixes would do it, but how many users are expected to go through all of that ? how many of them even know how to do it ? it's not acceptable. It's like they had a fixed budget for the upgrade and once money was spent they released the upgrade as it is.

WAIT FOR A FUTURE UPDATE, phone runs beautifully on 5.1.1, this M update is nothing but trouble and you don't have to spend a week tweaking the phone to fix stuff just to see most of the bugs, the most relevant, are not even fixable (e.g. access SD card via USB).

Last edited:

sacrdandprofne

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Battery drainage, it seems a factory reset would fix it, why is there no information about it when you're upgrading ? why bothering re-installing all your stuff again when 5.1.1 was flawless ?
I've noticed a lot of people complaining about this, but I guess I lucked out and don't appear to have this issue.

- SD content locked from computer via USB, cant cut/copy/move data from or to computer anymore,
I definitely agree with you on this one: I hate that the FTP is so glitchy. Every time I want to dump files I have to go into dev mode, choose "charge only", and then change back to "FTP" in order for it to work. Very annoying. Almost enough to make me want to switch back, but not yet.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed a lot of people complaining about this, but I guess I lucked out and don't appear to have this issue.

I definitely agree with you on this one: I hate that the FTP is so glitchy. Every time I want to dump files I have to go into dev mode, choose "charge only", and then change back to "FTP" in order for it to work. Very annoying. Almost enough to make me want to switch back, but not yet.

can you comment a bit on the M update and features that you would consider must-have and essential compared to what we have in Android 5.1.1 ? how's your experience so far ? I just finished installing 5.1.1 back (thanks to Motorola support it was relatively easy) and I would need like two more updates (fixing all the glaring stuff I mentioned) before risking upgrading once more.

sacrdandprofne

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Well, I stand corrected: I'm getting battery drain from the weirdest place. Ghost Wi-Fi.
18ae91b63775a4306b64aca5e5490801.jpg

I haven't had WiFi on all day, and it's somehow draining my battery?!

Found this out:
538c51409fd74308863c40ab207cc89e.jpg

It was default at Always. Turned it off. Hopefully that helps.

sacrdandprofne

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
can you comment a bit on the M update and features that you would consider must-have and essential compared to what we have in Android 5.1.1 ? how's your experience so far ? I just finished installing 5.1.1 back (thanks to Motorola support it was relatively easy) and I would need like two more updates (fixing all the glaring stuff I mentioned) before risking upgrading once more.
I can't really comment on that, as the OS doesn't seem that different to me as a "regular" user.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
this brings memories of the phone I had as my daily driver last year, a BQ Aquaris E5 4G with stock Android (4.4.4) and specs so similar to those of the Moto G 2015, the 5.0.2 update was painful, and the 5.1.1 update was simply terrible and unbearable, that's when I decided to switch to the Moto G mostly for the 5.1.1 "native" support and improved camera (since I couldn't find a cheap enough Nexus, even in second-hand market) but I was not expecting the same experience regarding upgrades, terrible firmware that needs a lot more testing and work (to summarize, they need money Lenovo is not going to afford). Next November-December I will have to think twice again.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
this brings memories of the phone I had as my daily driver last year, a BQ Aquaris E5 4G with stock Android (4.4.4) and specs so similar to those of the Moto G 2015, the 5.0.2 update was painful, and the 5.1.1 update was simply terrible and unbearable, that's when I decided to switch to the Moto G mostly for the 5.1.1 "native" support and improved camera (since I couldn't find a cheap enough Nexus, even in second-hand market) but I was not expecting the same experience regarding upgrades, terrible firmware that needs a lot more testing and work (to summarize, they need money Lenovo is not going to afford). Next November-December I will have to think twice again.

The only issue I have from you have listed is the funky SD card options. I can see that being an issue. Other than that, this build is just as solid for me as 5.1.1. Have you tried wiping the system cache? Factory reset the phone? When I start seeing 'issues/battery drain', I wipe the system cache and it fixes it.

sacrdandprofne

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
The only issue I have from you have listed is the funky SD card options. I can see that being an issue. Other than that, this build is just as solid for me as 5.1.1. Have you tried wiping the system cache? Factory reset the phone? When I start seeing 'issues/battery drain', I wipe the system cache and it fixes it.
I'm trying the system cache solution; I'll report back.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
FYI... If the SD card problem is when it's external (portable) storage as MPT, it's an easy fix and it's been mentioned many times in multiple threads and forums.

Disconnect USB cable and go to Settings, Apps, and Show System Apps and find External Storage and Media Storage and clear data and cache on each one and reboot your phone. Wait 5 minutes after full boot for media databases to rebuild, connect USB cable, and change to MPT from pull down menu.

Alan-in-NC

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: Android 6.0 Marshmallow - Encryption?

Hi All!

I'm new to Android, coming from the iOS world. Last week, I purchased a 3rd gen Moto G 16/2, unlocked from Amazon for only $145! It was an open box unit (probably a return), but looks and works great. Within hours of using it, it started the 6.0 update, and so far I've not had any major issues. Of course, I'm still learning, so I'm not exactly a power user, and there could be some issues going on that I'm not even aware of yet.

I still have a lot to learn, so I've been coming here trying to find answers by reading through the forums. I do have a question about encryption that I'm hoping someone has experience with. I would like to enable the encryption feature in Marshmallow, but I know the Moto G is not the most powerful phone around, although it seems fine for my purposes. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with using the encryption feature on the Moto G? I'm worried it will slow the phone down.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon