New to motto G and android (from 5s)

dsgrnmcm

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Evening all,

I've just got a Moto G and m just swapping over from my IPhone 5s.

The Moto G seems really slow when exploring the web and downloading apps from the play store, I seem to get a lot of errors and requests to re load.

When I'm sat in the front room and using both phones the 5s connects and do loads but the Moto asks to re load or re connect????

I've got ES file explorer, are there any other essential apps worth getting?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I carry a, iPhone 5s for work, so I have some insight...

If your Moto G seems really slow, there is something else going on... Did you get the 1GB or 2GB version?

TBH, for a low-mid range budget device, it is very quick and fluid, certainly as quick as my 5s. If you are getting errors and reload requests in the Play Store, that certainly seems like a connectivity issue... Are you using LTE or WiFi and have you done a speed test at all.

For apps, that is all over the board... You will find lots of recommendations out there, but it really depends on your usage. Some I recommend:

Google Photos - as an alternative to Gallery, it also can automatically backup photos to your Google account
n7player or vlc - for playing local music, Play Music is decent but these are much more feature rich for local playing of media files
Nova Launcher (Prime) - unless you really like the Google Now launcher, I recommend a 3rd party one, much more customization options (Apex, Next 3D, or any of a handful of others are excellent as well)
Snapseed - an old standby for Android photo editing
Evernote or Google Keep - for note taking and organization of those little bits of information (Keep is nice, ties to your Google acct and auto backup)
SwiftKey - A keyboard replacement that is highly customizable (Perfect Keyboard and Swype are nice alternatives to try)
Spotify or Pandora - Stream music online free
Facebook and Messenger - if FB is your thing
Google Drive - Online file storage, or your favorite one (DropBox, Box, etc)
Accuweather - Better weather and widgets than Google Now
GSAM Battery monitor - Nice battery monitor and widget for battery status
My Paid Apps - a nice tool to see apps you purchased from Google Play store, the native interface can make it tough to find these
Percent Enabler - Enable a little battery percentage number on the battery icon
RingDroid - Make/edit MP3 files to be ringtones
SMS Backup & Restore - Android does not have a native app to backup your text messages, this one will also push backups to your favorite cloud storage
SoundHound - identify music in seconds
Speedtest.net - Test internet connection speed
UB Reader - A nice eBook reader
ZIP Code Tools - Handy to lookup area codes, prefixes, zip codes, and other simple data

Of course, anything else you happen to be into... Starbucks, BestBuy, Newegg, Walmart, Flickr, Instagram, theScore, Google Translate, Allrecipes Dinner Spinner, Ingress, Pokemon Shuffle, blah, blah, blah... there are literally millions of apps, it is hard to recommend without knowing more about how you use your device and for what stuff.

cupofcloud

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, sounds like a connection issue to me.

imho Nova Prime launcher is a must, Apex too although I've never tried it but heard it's just as good. Anyway, it's nice to be able to fully customize the environment of your phone, Nova is buttery smooth with brilliant transition options.

A file Explorer is a must, ES should be fine. I use a small little one called Fo File manager.

If you do a lot of writing to communicate on your phone, having a clipboard manager will help a TON. I use Clip On! it's free and has the right features I need.

I found that Dock4Droid is an essential app for me. It might not be for everyone though.

For browsing, if you care to be able to see Flash sites, Dolphin browser is a must.

SwiftKey is great. Saves a lot of typing, after a while it seems as though it reads your mind with the 'next word' predictions.

bafare

May 15, 2014
Visit site
If you got the 1gb ram then that is the problem. I have the 2gb of ram and the phone is great! I definitely recommend for you to exchange your phone and get the 2gb of ram version if you have the extra cash. You will be happy! I promise.

Posted via the Android Central App on Moto G3 16/2 on $35 Cricket wireless plan.

Aryan Salooja

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
All of you are absolutely right. I too have the 2GB ram version and it is flawless. Real Racing 3 works better on my Moto when compared to my iPad. It seems to be a connectivity issue. I too sometimes face problems while accessing Play Store, but when I change my WiFi connection (I have two connections) it fixes. Sometimes, rebooting the phone also works. Hope you get your problem solved soon. 😊

Posted via the Android Central App

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Do you think that Motorola must have set ram management settings differently between 1gb and 2gb models? Because it would only be useful if 2gb version lets you open more apps at once without closing others compared to 1gb model.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The 1GB and 2GB models have different factory ROM images, so I assume they use different settings for the different memory capacity... There isn't a reason to have a different image otherwise because the hardware is the same except RAM and storage.

I have played with the 1GB version and have not found it laggy in normal use... I wouldn't just dump a perfectly good 1GB model just to get a 2GB one, I'd find the source of the lag.

Last edited:

Just_Some_Nobody

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Before letting everyone make you feel horrible for getting the 1GB version make sure its not a connection issue. I have the 2013 model with 1gb and never have what you describe and I beat that thing up.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Before letting everyone make you feel horrible for getting the 1GB version make sure its not a connection issue. I have the 2013 model with 1gb and never have what you describe and I beat that thing up.
OP has to respond to anything in this post... We have know idea what they have. :/

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2