new G3 / ST user here with SD card issues

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
Purchased 16gb G3s for myself and my better half, mine locally and hers thru amazon. Also purchased ST sims, plans, and 64gb Sandisk Extreme cards (online). I fired mine up before I received the sims or sd cards, and installed apps over wifi. When I got the sd card and sim, I went about setting those up. ST sim went fine, however, it doesn't seem to recognize the 64gb SD Extreme microSD. Went into Settings - Storage - Mount but nothing happened. Maybe they don't work with the specific extreme cards I got? Any ideas?

As I just received my wifes phone with the SIMS and SD cards, I haven't started setting hers up yet. Should I wait until the service is transferred, install the sim and sd and then turn it on for the first time?

Thanks,
Ed

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I've read thru the following, and it appears it *should* work -

http colon whack whack www dot androidcentral dot com whack moto-g-2015-and-sd-cards-everything-you-need-know

(sorry, n00b can't post URLs yet)

Since it doesn't support all, I guess I happened to order one that doesn't work?

The ones I bought (2 for both phones) are SanDisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 Card with Adapter (SDSQXNE-064G-GN6MA) thru Amazon.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've read thru the following, and it appears it *should* work -

http colon whack whack www dot androidcentral dot com whack moto-g-2015-and-sd-cards-everything-you-need-know

(sorry, n00b can't post URLs yet)

Since it doesn't support all, I guess I happened to order one that doesn't work?

The ones I bought (2 for both phones) are SanDisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 Card with Adapter (SDSQXNE-064G-GN6MA) thru Amazon.

I did take a look at that article. Unfortunately, it came with the "your mileage may vary" disclaimer, so it looks like you got cards that don't work. :(

You should be safe if you use 32GB but not any bigger.

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I've ordered a couple of different Sandisk Ultra 64gb cards from amazon to test, since the Ultras were what was recommended. Hopefully my mileage doesn't vary (again) ...

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Try formatting the 64gb cards through windows (using the adaptors) as FAT32. That should help, AFAIK.

Posted via the Android Central App

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Try formatting the 64gb cards through windows ... as FAT32...
You'll find Windows limits itself to 32gb partitions for the FAT32 filesystem. You'll need a 3rd-party tool to format larger cards to FAT32 (I like SmartDisk Fat32 Tool - it's free and works).
For lots of android devices, just formatting the larger cards to FAT32 instead of the exFAT they get sold with is good enough to make the card work, but sometimes with varying degrees of success. I've had 64gb cards work fine, and I've had some work but just crash all the time.
If you find your device isn't liking your FAT32-formatted 64gb or 128gb card, don't give up. There is a workaround I've used that has done the trick for me. It's worth a try.
1) Take your existing 32 gb card (or any FAT32-formatted one you know works in your device, really), and create, then save, an .iso disk image of it to your computer, using your favorite tool.
2) Now, take your new larger card, and 'burn' that same .iso image file to it, with nothing else on it. Obviously, it will have a huge chunk of unallocated space, which is fine.
3) Use your favorite partition tool to simply expand that partition to the full space available on the card, and pop that in your phone.

I've found this method to be the only thing that helped me stick a 64gb sd card on an old LG I had.
HTH

Last edited:

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
ok, that worked. I ended up downloading a win7 util called MiniAide Fat32 Formatter, and it did the job. Extreme microSD FAT32 formatted and recognized by my G3. Thanks again NucleBAH and beachfl1 for pointing me in that direction!

Best regards,
Ed

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Since you are referring to the Moto G (3rd generation), it only supports microSD cards up to 32GB. Moto G (2015) - Unlocked Android Smartphone - Motorola

You'll need to return the 64GB microSD cards for 32GB versions.
This may be the "official" word, or rather was, but it is incorrect information. Moto has stated on various media that the Moto G 2015 supports 64, 128, and larger cards. The filesystem in isn't relevant as if the phone can't read them it will offer to format the storage appropriately, FAT32 for portable/external or ext4 for internal/adopted (the later with Marshmallow)

I can tell you I have had a 64GB card in mine since September... It works flawlessly, popped it in the phone and it offered to format it, I said yes, and it just worked.

Last edited:

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
ok, that worked. I ended up downloading a win7 util called MiniAide Fat32 Formatter, and it did the job. Extreme microSD FAT32 formatted and recognized by my G3. Thanks again NucleBAH and beachfl1 for pointing me in that direction!

Best regards,
Ed

Yay!

Posted via the Android Central App

tedsalt

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
This may be the "official" word, or rather was, but it is incorrect information. Moto has stated on various media that the Moto G 2015 supports 64, 128, and larger cards. The filesystem in isn't relevant as if the phone can't read them it will offer to format the storage appropriately, FAT32 for portable/external or ext4 for internal/adopted (the later with Marshmallow)

I can tell you I have had a 64GB card in mine since September... It works flawlessly, popped it in the phone and it offered to format it, I said yes, and it just worked.

Unfortunately mine didn't offer or allow me to format it in the phone. or even mount it. The phone didn't recognize it at all with the exFAT format. Until I formatted it in the PC with a FAT32 format, then put it in the phone. Then the G3 recognized it and now it is working as designed. My pictures and music etc are moved there and working.

Thanks again for everyone's input and assistance!

Last edited:

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
... I can tell you I have had a 64GB card in mine... it just worked.
That's fantastic it worked so easily for you. Not everyone shares that experience, tho. The Web is littered with posts from users who have had problems with large cards, including mainstream tech writers. And you're right, even today, Motorola still officially lists the specs on these phones as supporting up to 32gb SD.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That's fantastic it worked so easily for you. Not everyone shares that experience, tho. The Web is littered with posts from users who have had problems with large cards, including mainstream tech writers. And you're right, even today, Motorola still officially lists the specs on these phones as supporting up to 32gb SD.
I'm aware of that... The point is the device handles larger cards, and Moto has confirmed it. Cards larger than 32GB may need a little finesse to get working, but they work. A few XDA members have even confirmed the 200GB cards work as both portable and adopted storage as well.