Should I upgrade to the 16GB Model?

jaydog69

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
So MM was a let down on my 8GB and I'm starting to struggle for storage. With all my apps installed, I have just 1GB left!

Is the upgrade in terms of performance a noticeable one?

Thanks

Rover Pow

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Upgrade to 16GB Model?

what's the point seriously? Just put in larger micro sd card? sure extra gb ram would be nice, but I still manage to get pretty smooth run even with the 1gb

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site

Is the upgrade [from 1gb to 2gb RAM in terms of performance a noticeable one?
I agree... the storage issue isn't really a big problem since it takes SD.
Both versions use the same processor, so performance on individual or sandboxed apps is gonna be about the same. BUT...
For memory, keep in mind the Lollipop OS and your system apps are going to use around a half gig of memory, just on their own. Effectively, the 2GB then gives you 3 times more ram than the 1GB one for apps to play around with. Also, when the OS senses it might be getting low on memory, it starts to do weird things - like moving or killing processes (even some system processes) it would normally leave alone.

I think if you don't do a lot of memory-gobbling apps, and if you're not a heavy gamer and you don't mind some possible aggressive memory management, the 1GB should be ok. Anyone else.... the 2gb.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'd try a really fast SD card and Adoptable Storage.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

dwathle

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site

Given competent SdCard management, a fast SdCard would certainly solve all of your problems. Unfortunately, Google and friends don't want to architect a competent way of controlling SdCard memory because they are (and have been making) billions of $$$ each year by selling new phones to people who just need another 8 GB of memory. It is like selling new cars to people who just need a new set of tires -- incredibly profitable!! As such, you can expect that an SdCard could, but won't, solve all of your problems. But it will help. You probably can, and certainly should, store all of your music, videos, pictures, and backup data onto an SdCard. I believe that the alternative solution (de-bloating) requires rooting your phone. Phone manufacturers working in alliance with their ISP buddies have conspired to fill the world's phones to the gills with unnecessary/commercial bloatware. After rooting, you can flash a custom ROM (eg. CyanogenMod) from which the bloat has been pre-removed. Or better still, you can use an app to perform the same service. I recently purchased an app called "Uninstall" (which I tentatively recommend) . "Uninstall" not only lists your phone's apps, but also grades them into 3 classes: "could remove", "should keep", and "key module". I used it to remove nearly all of the "could remove" apps and several "should keep" apps from my SG4. Be sure to point the app's "recycle bin" to your phone's SdCard before removing any apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude