How to downgrade from Marshmallow to Lollipop?

RecklessRaggy

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
A few days ago I "upgraded" to Marshmallow on my Moto G3. It's horrible and I can barely use my phone anymore. I tried contacting Motorola for advice on downgrading but they refused to give me any. I was wondering if anyone knew how to do it safely here?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A few days ago I "upgraded" to Marshmallow on my Moto G3. It's horrible and I can barely use my phone anymore. I tried contacting Motorola for advice on downgrading but they refused to give me any. I was wondering if anyone knew how to do it safely here?

I believe the upgrade prompt clearly stated that you can't (officially) downgrade.

But my guess is that downgrading will involve unlocking the bootloader and finding the OEM Lollipop ROM.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I believe the upgrade prompt clearly stated that you can't (officially) downgrade.

But my guess is that downgrading will involve unlocking the bootloader and finding the OEM Lollipop ROM.

if only the prompt also stated the risks of upgrading... 70+ % of users are clueless about them, not to mention how to get around / solve any of the possible bugs. I say let's keep system updates absolutely manual instead of bombarding users with notifications to upgrade when there's high chance something's going to go wrong and you won't be able to fix it. For 10 smooth upgrades we have 10 buggy upgrades and not everyone knows about "recovery menu", "cache wipe", "factory reset"... specially on popular phones in this price range.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If you look on XDA, there are threads about unlocking, downgrading, and flashing stock factory images... Unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty (except in most of the EU), and there potential risks when downgrading of bricking, and potential of not being to upgrade via OTA again. Read carefully, the threads on XDA are in the Moto G 20015 General Discussion area and are not hard to find.

Be warned, any issues you run into *may not* be revertible, we have seen multiple Moto G's hard brick and be useless. I would try standard troubleshooting first, clear cache partition, if that fails, factory default. If you still have issues you should first consider sending it in for repair before unlocking and continuing. I am not telling you what to do, but you should be vary careful and understand all the possible implications before attempting to downgrade.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
all this just because a company is almost forcing their clients to "upgrade" without warning them of possible risks and bugs, is there no legal liability here ?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
if only the prompt also stated the risks of upgrading... 70+ % of users are clueless about them, not to mention how to get around / solve any of the possible bugs. I say let's keep system updates absolutely manual instead of bombarding users with notifications to upgrade when there's high chance something's going to go wrong and you won't be able to fix it. For 10 smooth upgrades we have 10 buggy upgrades and not everyone knows about "recovery menu", "cache wipe", "factory reset"... specially on popular phones in this price range.

Is this a blanket statement or specific to Android or Motorola upgrades?

There's always a risk.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Do they know the risk for updating their computers, their iPhones, their other devices?

ah well... I'm pretty sure most devices won't force such important "upgrades" (specially one that removes features as Marshmallow does, forcing you to either chose portable storage and watch your device slow down and a bunch of apps refusing to install outside of the "real" internal storage anyway, or external storage and watch how you cannot move apps to SD Card anymore)

60% of users are bound to face bugs with this Motorola upgrade, but they're bombarded with upgrade notification anyway, I wonder if there's legal liability somewhere since they just warn of the difficulty of reverting to 5.1.1 and ignore the bugs, those that will turn a perfectly stable phone into sometimes an unusable device.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
ah well... I'm pretty sure most devices won't force such important "upgrades" (specially one that removes features as Marshmallow does, forcing you to either chose portable storage and watch your device slow down and a bunch of apps refusing to install outside of the "real" internal storage anyway, or external storage and watch how you cannot move apps to SD Card anymore)

60% of users are bound to face bugs with this Motorola upgrade, but they're bombarded with upgrade notification anyway, I wonder if there's legal liability somewhere since they just warn of the difficulty of reverting to 5.1.1 and ignore the bugs, those that will turn a perfectly stable phone into sometimes an unusable device.

You have to accept an Android update. It is not forcibly installed without your knowledge.

60% of users is something you're making up.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Don't use Windows 10 do you? It doesn't even prompt you or let you know, unless it must reboot. Had to reload more than one computer because of it... I also have an iPhone for work, trust me, that nags way worse, it pretty much forces you without warning of risks, and I know of 2 phones (out of around 100) that got borked due to updates in the last year, and I don't work in the help desk so their could have been more

My point is Moto and Android are not unique, and very much on the lower end of restricting your choices.

I do like the way Huawei handled lollipop on the HAM2, though it's on the other end of extreme... They never pushed an OTA or notification, you had to go looking for it, read and accept a bunch of stuff, download the image, and basically do a factory image flash, guaranteeing a clean environment.

The real problem, and yet a strength, with all these inconsistent implementations and update methods is fragmentation of the Android ecosystem, but that's a completely different topic for another day.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I do like the way Huawei handled lollipop on the HAM2, though it's on the other end of extreme... They never pushed an OTA or notification, you had to go looking for it, read and accept a bunch of stuff, download the image, and basically do a factory image flash, guaranteeing a clean environment.

this is what I meant

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You have to accept an Android update. It is not forcibly installed without your knowledge.

60% of users is something you're making up.

of course, the real figures are higher than 60%

RecklessRaggy

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies. Motorola, no matter how I approach them, seem to refuse to help me and I know why... I've now contacted Carphone Warehouse which is where I bought the phone. Not only am I having memory issues, I can no longer set a lockscreen, receive or view notifications, use the home button or pull out the 'back/home/multitasking' buttons from something that goes fullscreen. Misbehaving software is under their warranty, so they should be obliged to fix it right? I'm firing out all 'official' options before I start dealing with it manually. I've read thoroughly into the risks of flashing etc and it's something I'd much rather avoid doing...I'm not the average joe user, but I'm also not nearly as well versed into that stuff as you guys probably are.

I knew full well that once I upgraded to Marshmallow, I would not be able to roll back easily. All I saw on SD cards for Marshmallow was the adoptable storage option. I decided I wouldn't opt for it in the end and would just keep it portable, so I 'upgraded'. However, something specific to Motorola devices it seems was apps2sd, which is removed in Marshmallow. Now any app data on my SD is stuck in limbo and I can't do anything until this is all solved. If I knew this from the beginning then I would not have upgraded. David is right in that they should've notified users of this on the prompt screen, not buried it in the festering depths of Motorola's website.

So yeah, since I created this thread my poor poor phone that has been TAINTED by this wretched Marshmallow is even more unstable now. Any more tips on what I should do? Beginning to panic... :(

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies. Motorola, no matter how I approach them, seem to refuse to help me and I know why... I've now contacted Carphone Warehouse which is where I bought the phone. Not only am I having memory issues, I can no longer set a lockscreen, receive or view notifications, use the home button or pull out the 'back/home/multitasking' buttons from something that goes fullscreen. Misbehaving software is under their warranty, so they should be obliged to fix it right? I'm firing out all 'official' options before I start dealing with it manually. I've read thoroughly into the risks of flashing etc and it's something I'd much rather avoid doing...I'm not the average joe user, but I'm also not nearly as well versed into that stuff as you guys probably are.

I knew full well that once I upgraded to Marshmallow, I would not be able to roll back easily. All I saw on SD cards for Marshmallow was the adoptable storage option. I decided I wouldn't opt for it in the end and would just keep it portable, so I 'upgraded'. However, something specific to Motorola devices it seems was apps2sd, which is removed in Marshmallow. Now any app data on my SD is stuck in limbo and I can't do anything until this is all solved. If I knew this from the beginning then I would not have upgraded. David is right in that they should've notified users of this on the prompt screen, not buried it in the festering depths of Motorola's website.

So yeah, since I created this thread my poor poor phone that has been TAINTED by this wretched Marshmallow is even more unstable now. Any more tips on what I should do? Beginning to panic... :(

Start from scratch and do a factory reset.

RecklessRaggy

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
It will get you back to Lollipop.

Are you sure? Many other forum posts are saying it doesn't mess with the system partitions. I just want to check because on the off chance Carphone Warehouse do take it in, I'll probably have to make it look bad so that they'll fix it. I have no problem with factory resetting, just... ARE YOU REALLY REALLY SURE?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz