Moto G4 & G4 Plus are missing LTE band 17?

Alan Kaf

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
The Moto G4 & G4 Plus are missing LTE band 17 -- which in practically a necessity if you want to use it on AT&T in the U.S.

The G4 Play has band 17. Very strange...

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It has band 12 which is a superset of band 17. Att broadcasts both band 12 and band 17. So you would be fine.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
It has band 12 which is a superset of band 17. Att broadcasts both band 12 and band 17. So you would be fine.
That is assuming band 12 remains enabled, and doesn't get Moto-G'd, as happened with the 2015 Moto models (and several other lower-end brands/models of phones) following their first update.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That is assuming band 12 remains enabled, and doesn't get Moto-G'd, as happened with the 2015 Moto models (and several other lower-end brands/models of phones) following their first update.

Blame T-Mo.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Blame T-Mo.
*shrug* The pro-Moto crowd says "Blame TMO." The pro-TMO crowd says "Blame Lenovorola." In the end the consumer ends-up with a crippled device--often finding out only after the fact.

Regardless of whom is to blame: My goal is simply to raise the possibility, so yet more Lenovorola/TMO customers don't unwittingly fall victim to whatever you call this.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
*shrug* The pro-Moto crowd says "Blame TMO." The pro-TMO crowd says "Blame Lenovorola." In the end the consumer ends-up with a crippled device--often finding out only after the fact.

Regardless of whom is to blame: My goal is simply to raise the possibility, so yet more Lenovorola/TMO customers don't unwittingly fall victim to whatever you call this.

T-Mobile seems to be making it cost prohibitive for OEMs (not just Motorola and Lenovo) to be certified for VoLTE, thus Band 12 isn't supported or ends up getting removed.

The workaround? Buy a recent T-Mobile-branded device.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile seems to be making it cost prohibitive for OEMs (not just Motorola and Lenovo) to be certified for VoLTE, thus Band 12 isn't supported or ends up getting removed.
Or the makers of the less-expensive, low-to-midrange devices don't feel the return on investment is there. Hard to say which. I suspect a combination of the two, honestly.

Yeahhhh... Nothing suspicious there, eh?

If I like the next generation smaller Nexus, and I find it affordable, I'll be kissing both Lenovorola and TMO hasta la bugger-off.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Keen observation. IMO, Legere's goal has been to steer custmers into buying phones from T-Mobile stores.

Point in fact: the 2015 pure has had tons of difficulty operating on tmobile VoLTE. But VoLTE works fine w Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay