How bad is the camera on the Moto G4? And how good is the phone overall?

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a Nexus 5 on T-Mobile for well over a year now, and while the Nexus 5 is my favorite smartphone that I've used so far, it's certainly showing signs of wear and has been having issues with heating up and lagging and freezing lately, and the battery has certainly suffered from a couple years of usage, so I'm trying to decide on a good replacement/upgrade that is within my price range, of around/under $200 or so.

I've been trying to decide between a Moto G4, a Nexus X5, or a Moto X pure. I'm aware that the Moto G4 is going to be around $50-$100 cheaper (depending on the GB and with/without Amazon ads) than the Nexus 5X or the Moto X Pure, and that's definitely appealing to me, but I don't want to end up buying a phone that I am disappointed in or just not happy with.

Overall, the Moto G4 seems to be a very capable and relatively great device considering what it costs
And from what I've read, overall, the only thing I would possibly/probably have an issue with is the camera, particularly, when taking pictures in conditions without really good lighting. And being that I take lots of pictures, and I'm talking about averaging around 1,000 pictures per week much of the time, the camera is definitely something that is important to me.

So, to those of you who have actually gotten to use the Moto G4 for several days now, and have gotten around to taking a decent amount of photos with it, how would you rate the camera on it overall? If the lighting is good, does it actually take good/great photos? Or is the picture-quality even somewhat disappointing in the best of conditions? And how bad is the picture-quality, or its ability to focus, when in low-light conditions? Also, if anyone has actually previously used a Nexus 5, could you please try to compare the camera on the Moto G4 to the camera on the Nexus 5?

As for some of the other questions I have about the Moto G4, if anyone would like to comment on any of these things, I would definitely be interested in getting some feedback on them. Especially, if you can compare them to a Nexus 5.

- Battery life?

- Processor speed/performance/functionality/reliability? Any overheating issues so far!

- Signal-strength and call-quality?

- Volume-output/sound-quality on the earpiece, speaker/speakerphone/headphone port?

As I mentioned, I've been using a Nexus 5 for much of the past couple years now, so if anyone on here who owns a Moto G4 has also used a Nexus 5, I would really appreciate hearing some opinions on how the Moto G4 compared to the Nexus 5. And as for the other two newer devices that I have been thinking about trying to buy, if you would also like to share your opinion on how you rate the Moto G4 compared to the Nexus 5X or the Moto X Pure, I would be glad to get some opinions on those comparisons, as well.

Sorry for the lengthy post. And thanks in advance to anyone who offers some helpful feedback!

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a 5,but performance on the g4 is pretty good. Camera is pretty poor in low light on the g4, but g4p isn't bad. Signal strength is good

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a 5,but performance on the g4 is pretty good. Camera is pretty poor in low light on the g4, but g4p isn't bad. Signal strength is good

Thanks for replying! Do you have both the Moto G4 and the G4 Plus? If so, besides in a low-light conditions, how is the camera on the Moto G4? Do you think it takes pretty good-quality photos in general?

And I would like to be able to get a Moto G4 Plus, but that's just a little bit more than I'm looking to spend right now. And if I were looking/able to spend $250, I would probably rather get a Moto X Pure or a Nexus 5X, which both can be had for around that, or even a little less than that, right now. Or do you think that the Moto G4 is as good a phone as the Moto X Pure or the Nexus 5X?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I like the front fps, so that is the best for me.

The the pictures in good lighting situations are good.

I haven't had the mxpe or 5x.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
The camera on the G4P is very good. It's not bad in the slightest, minus low light.

Attachments

• 7093.jpg
    7093.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 83

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
The photos only look bad because of compression, FYI.

Thanks for posting the pics! And for sharing your thoughts about the camera. However, you are talking about the Moto G4 Plus, correct? If so, do you have an idea of how much better the camera on the G4 Plus is compared to the camera on the regular Moto G4?

I am really leaning towards likely giving the Moto G4 a shot, because of the price ($125 for the 16GB Amazon with-ads version), so I'm really curious how good/bad the camera on it actually is?

Also, what are your thoughts on the G4 Plus overall? Besides the camera, how are the battery, processor speed/power, functionality smoothness, call-quality and signal-strength, earpiece/speaker/speakerphone sound and volume?

BrandonJay21

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I'd say my two complaints with the camera are that it can take a while for the camera to decide where to focus, and taking a pic with the volume down button usually causes me to move a lil which makes the picture blurry. (I realize I'm moving, but I didn't have that issue with my old iPhone.)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Here are some sample pictures I took. I've only had the phone for a day and just started to take some pictures with it. Since I have young kids it'll be interesting to see how well I can capture them.IMG_20160724_164325496.jpgIMG_20160724_164510366.jpgIMG_20160724_164720699.jpg

AzAssassin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Here are some sample pictures I took. I've only had the phone for a day and just started to take some pictures with it. Since I have young kids it'll be interesting to see how well I can capture them.View attachment 233081View attachment 233082View attachment 233083

Thanks for posting the pictures, the quality on those looks to be quite good! But, were those taken with the Moto G4 or the G4 Plus?

Also, has anyone on here who owns a Moto G4 also owned a Nexus 5? If so, how do the cameras on those two devices compare? Is the camera on the Moto G4 likely to be at least close to as good as, or possibly better than, the camera on the now-somewhat-outdated Nexus 5?

Also, and I realize that these devices are someone significantly different when it comes to price, but I'm curious if the camera on the Moto X Pure is noticeably/significantly better than the camera on the Moto G4? Or, as long as there is good lighting, is the Moto G4 likely capable of capturing good pictures, for the most part? Or, even in daylight, do you think there would be a noticeable difference in picture-quality between the camera on the Moto G4 and phones like the Moto X pure and the Nexus 5X?

Also, has anyone on here been experiencing issues with the Moto G4 overheating? If so, what seems to cause it? And how often does it happen and how easily is it caused?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting the pictures, the quality on those looks to be quite good! But, were those taken with the Moto G4 or the G4 Plus?

Also, has anyone on here who owns a Moto G4 also owned a Nexus 5? If so, how do the cameras on those two devices compare? Is the camera on the Moto G4 likely to be at least close to as good as, or possibly better than, the camera on the now-somewhat-outdated Nexus 5?

Also, and I realize that these devices are someone significantly different when it comes to price, but I'm curious if the camera on the Moto X Pure is noticeably/significantly better than the camera on the Moto G4? Or, as long as there is good lighting, is the Moto G4 likely capable of capturing good pictures, for the most part? Or, even in daylight, do you think there would be a noticeable difference in picture-quality between the camera on the Moto G4 and phones like the Moto X pure and the Nexus 5X?

Also, has anyone on here been experiencing issues with the Moto G4 overheating? If so, what seems to cause it? And how often does it happen and how easily is it caused?

Those pictures were taken with the Moto G4. I owned a Nexus 5 and can say this camera is better. Of course were talking years in hardware, so that's going to be expected. As long as you have good lighting you'll take great pictures.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for posting the pics! And for sharing your thoughts about the camera. However, you are talking about the Moto G4 Plus, correct? If so, do you have an idea of how much better the camera on the G4 Plus is compared to the camera on the regular Moto G4?

I am really leaning towards likely giving the Moto G4 a shot, because of the price ($125 for the 16GB Amazon with-ads version), so I'm really curious how good/bad the camera on it actually is?

Also, what are your thoughts on the G4 Plus overall? Besides the camera, how are the battery, processor speed/power, functionality smoothness, call-quality and signal-strength, earpiece/speaker/speakerphone sound and volume?

The battery will give me 3.5 hours of SOT WITH Pokemon go running. Whilst the phone locks up on occasion it mostly is fast. Call quality is very good from what I've seen on my UK carrier and the speaker is also pretty good, albeit somewhat distorted at high volumes.

Maddad2

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I'd say my two complaints with the camera are that it can take a while for the camera to decide where to focus, and taking a pic with the volume down button usually causes me to move a lil which makes the picture blurry. (I realize I'm moving, but I didn't have that issue with my old iPhone.)
First I have heard of the volume down button. Yup, it works. Thanks for the tip.

soft177

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I have issues with the camera when using the video mode. After a few seconds or minute, the phone becomes hot and Laggs, almost crashing.
I also have issues someone with the screen behaving weirdly (actions on the screen while not using it !!!)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000