Moto G3 SD card problem

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Had the phone about 6 months. It has a 16gb Samsung SD card in it with photos and music etc, with no problems. Today there was a message on the screen telling me there is a problem with the SD card, and it needed reinserting. Tried this and it din't work. Checked in settings/storage and it just said "calculating". Put in another card and formatted it as internal storage. Checked settings/storage and it appeared to be recognised. Thinking the original card must therefore be faulty, I plugged the phone in the PC to put on photos and music etc, and although the PC recognised the phone, the SD card was not present, and therefore could not download any data etc. Oh, and yes I did drag down the screen and click on the necessary choice.

I have put the files/photos/music on an SD card and formatted the card as portable storage, and all is OK as the phone recognizes this fine

Any ideas ?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was the problem card originally formatted as Internal Storage or Portable Storage? If the former, then it was also encrypted, and can only be read by the device that encrypted it -- that may be why the computer can't read it. Have you tried inserting the card itself into the computer?

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Was the problem card originally formatted as Internal Storage or Portable Storage? If the former, then it was also encrypted, and can only be read by the device that encrypted it -- that may be why the computer can't read it. Have you tried inserting the card itself into the computer?

I formatted the card as internal storage 6 months ago when I got the phone, and it has worked fine. It just decided not to work yesterday. When plugged into the PC, it is not recognized either. I put a new card in the phone and also formatted it as internal, but yet again the phone won't recognize it. I have put a third card in and formatted it as portable storage, and that works OK. It would appear that the phones ability to recognize a card as internal storage won't work, although it has formatted it it's self, does not work.

Any ideas ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what the exact problem is, but I have seen a number of posts about Adoptable Storage glitches on Moto devices. It may be that Lenovo hasn't implemented this feature very well.

When you say the phone won't recognize it, are you saying that it doesn't even show that the total internal storage has been expanded by that amount (in the Settings/Storage​ menu)?

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure what the exact problem is, but I have seen a number of posts about Adoptable Storage glitches on Moto devices. It may be that Lenovo hasn't implemented this feature very well.

When you say the phone won't recognize it, are you saying that it doesn't even show that the total internal storage has been expanded by that amount (in the Settings/Storage​ menu)?

Correct. In settings/storage the card does not give a capacity, it simply says "calculating".

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Just an observation after HAVING to change to portable storage. Most apps can't actually go on the card, so internal storage saves very little storage. Of course, if you are one of the few people who spend time playing heavy games on the phone, internal storage may help. The advantage of portable storage is not having to format the card so it can't be used on another device, and what's really annoying is that once the SD card has been formatted to internal storage, it can not be reversed.

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Right, everyone should read this, because it could happen to you. I spent hours trying to get this sorted, but have now succeeded. Portable storage didn't turn out to be the best option, because a few things didn't work, like ES file explorer etc. I even factory reset the phone, but I am not sure if that's actually what I needed to do. The SD card had gone bad, and when I tried formatting a new card although it showed on the phone, it din't open on the PC. This is what sorted it, Settings/Storage, then click on the card that the phone says isn't inserted. It will give you the option to forget it, so click on that. The card will now disappear. For some reason when the phone is still aware that the old card exists, it won't work properly with a new one. Simple really, but a flaw in the software.

Vaijayant

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi, had similar problem on moto x play, yesterday phone simply stopped recognising my sd card which is formatted as internal. Will have to hit forget and loose all data on it. :(

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi, had similar problem on moto x play, yesterday phone simply stopped recognising my sd card which is formatted as internal. Will have to hit forget and loose all data on it. :(

That will be lost regardless. Once the card has been formatted as adoptable storage, only the phone can read what is on it. If the phone stops recognizing the card there is nothing you can do. Like I said, make sure you let the phone know the card no longer exists, or you won't be able to use a new one

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc