New update

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been in a DM discussion with @motorolaUS regarding the lack of Android security updates for the G5 plus. I think more owners need to put more pressure on them. Considering some of the major security issues that have recently been patched, it is ridiculous that the device is 8 months out of date for the security updates.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I've been in a DM discussion with @motorolaUS regarding the lack of Android security updates for the G5 plus. I think more owners need to put more pressure on them. Considering some of the major security issues that have recently been patched, it is ridiculous that the device is 8 months out of date for the security updates.

I had phoned Motorola India when we were stuck on the March security patch for a long time. The person at Customer Care did not have a clue about the updates.
We received the August security patch after their G4 Plus received the September security patch in India.

joosujin

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a cricket prepaid sim in my device (att towers)

I'm seriously considering switching from my S5 to G5+. I'm with Total Wireless using Verizon network. Where can I get security patch updates and future OS upgrade if I use this on prepaid carriers like Total Wireless? I used to manually apply new updated firmwares from SamMobile for my Galaxy S5. But, I cannot find it from Motorolla or Lenovo. Thanks!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm seriously considering switching from my S5 to G5+. I'm with Total Wireless using Verizon network. Where can I get security patch updates and future OS upgrade if I use this on prepaid carriers like Total Wireless? I used to manually apply new updated firmwares from SamMobile for my Galaxy S5. But, I cannot find it from Motorolla or Lenovo. Thanks!
Motorola does not support manual updates at all, you must take them via OTA. Moto offers OTA updates regardless of carrier (although some carriers do take longer than others to get the updates).

In some cases OTA files leak out or are captured and you can side load them, but this is not consistent or reliable.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

You will get them regardless of what network you are on once they push them out.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola does not support manual updates at all, you must take them via OTA. Moto offers OTA updates regardless of carrier (although some carriers do take longer than others to get the updates).

In some cases OTA files leak out or are captured and you can side load them, but this is not consistent or reliable.

Not entirely true. Verizon models have the option to update via computer/cable.

But yes, there is no such official option for the unlocked and other carrier models.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You will get them regardless of what network you are on once they push them out.

Not entirely true. Updates can and have been held back depending on what SIM is in the phone.

See various Moto X Pure Edition updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma