Moto G XT1625. Constantly asks to update the OS. Can I stop this notification?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

This is the 4th gen. phone, which I purchased a couple of days ago. It happens several times a day.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You'd probably have to root the phone and disable the system updater. Is there a reason why you don't want to install the system update?

jeffehcom

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site
I am not savvy enough to handle rooting my phone, so will have to live with it or update.

The problem is that my old phone worked very well with the OS it came with, but got unbearably glitchy and slow within 2 years. In your opinion, is updating absolutely worth it, even just for security?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In general, it's always a good idea to apply official system updates, unless there have been known problems reported in the tech media. Do you know if this is an upgrade to the Android version? What version is the phone currently on?

jeffehcom

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site
It's Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow. The upgrade, Nougat, is apparently not a dramatic improvement.

My concern is also that one or two more steps down the line may make my phone continuously slower.

I thought maybe that keeping antivirus software up to date could help mostly with security issues.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
It's Android 6.0.1, Marshmallow. The upgrade, Nougat, is apparently not a dramatic improvement.

My concern is also that one or two more steps down the line may make my phone continuously slower.

I thought maybe that keeping antivirus software up to date could help mostly with security issues.

I have a Moto G4 plus which I updated to Android 7.0 last Dec. I did not face any issues after the update and the phone performed better on Nougat.The phone has been getting security patches regularly every 3 months, the last being Sept security patch.

jeffehcom

Nov 2, 2017
Visit site
Thank you. I suppose I'll update, but I'm also concerned about future OS updates weighing down my phone's operation. I think that's part of why they do it, so you always feel compelled to buy a newer model.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. I suppose I'll update, but I'm also concerned about future OS updates weighing down my phone's operation. I think that's part of why they do it, so you always feel compelled to buy a newer model.
Not true. I used my Note 2 for 3 years before buying a new one. Never felt like it slowed down at all despite getting all the updates. Some newer games ran slower, but that's expected as they are newer and are more demanding hardware wise. No different from a laptop gaming rig from 2 years prior not anymore able to run the latest games at highest graphics. Most of the feeling of 'getting slower' is not that it's slower, but newer and cheaper phones are becoming faster. Although of course there comes a point when the devices really become too slow for the present. I still have my Galaxy S3 running as a music player, but it can't play games and listen to streaming at the same time anymore, since the RAM is being eaten up (only has 1GB). Although that can be attributable to Spotify being such a memory hog too, since the phone can game and play local music at the same time. But that's the point though, it's not necessarily being the phone intentionally made slow, but newer updates to apps are made with newer more powerful phones in mind.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site

According to Motorola, Moto G4 will not receive OS upgrades after Android 7.0.It will receive security patches only. So your phone will be staying on Nougat after this.
The G4 Plus will get the Oreo upgrade.

adamgilcrist

Nov 29, 2017
Visit site
Yes, you can definitely stop notification from the setting option in the mobile by just set the system update option OFF or disable. May I know the reason why you want to stop the system update notification? As it is very useful for your system performance and as per their security purpose also

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463